The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-11-2008, 08:30 PM   #1
chevy29267truck
Account Suspended

Re: Laid Off.......

Man sorry too hear you are not working it sucks when you have very little or no money at all
chevy29267truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:37 PM   #2
SactoJim

Too bad we all don't work for one of the big 3 in Detroit......looks like they're gonna get one of those famous government bailouts (50 billion) that's suppose to save the country!......go figure.
- 4 wheel discs
- relocated fuel tank
-

My Build Thread
SactoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:05 PM   #3
68chevy68

And to make matters worse, I just bought a brand new crew cab truck, leather and all. I need to sell it but with the way the economy has been, I owe more than someone can go out and buy a brand new one for...
68chevy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:03 PM   #4
chevy29267truck
Account Suspended

Let ever one know on here if you need help
Old 11-11-2008, 09:17 PM   #5
ont_guy_38

Just visiting from the 73-87 section,the laid off title caught my eye.I myself have been laid off after 17 years with the same company as of Dec 23.All truck plans are now put on hold I guess.Hopefully I won't have to sell it and very nice start you got there on your truck
ont_guy_38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:22 PM   #6
68chevy68

Thanks for the complements on my truck. I am going to try not to sell it. After a couple of years of working on it as money allowed, It moves under its own power! This is the first truck (vehicle) I have built and Im stoked. I have way too much time and money tied up in this truck to sell it, but I may have to wait to finish it. there is still quite a bit I can do on it in all the spare time I have now. I might get more done this way.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:37 PM   #7
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

John Paul....I know how you feel. Spent 27 years working for ALCOA and you are right....companies don't have any allegiance to their employees....just the stockholders. In spite of how much loyalty we employees give to our employers, they just don't reciprocate. Then after all that, they lay us off.

Good to see that truck outside of the shop. I knew you were getting close...Edsel dash and all. It's sittin' fat down south, my son would say.

I'm no closer on my truck than I was when I visited your shop. I do have a plan, but the guy who will be executing the surgery, marches to his own beat. It's not a bad thing, but it take him a while to start. Could be because there are so many others who know what he can do and how well he works.

Good luck on the job hunting. Does FTN (?) have any possibilities? That's the group that is supposed to be revamping the City of Bryant in there attempts to stop the flooding on the north side of I-30.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:14 AM   #8
chas350

I also got laid off, at the end of september.
I cant find a job as a trim carpenter in CT.
Its gotten really tough for a lot of people, man I hope something comes along soon.

71 K10 long fleet (sons truck) new 370hp 355, sm465 np205, 3.73's 33's
70 K20 long fleet
98 G3500 work van
chas350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:39 AM   #9
paisaloco67
Account Suspended

I feel sorry for all them people getting laid off. All this unemployment and
credit crisis point into one direcction.. DEPRESSION. Most people think
that we are in a ressesion now,,,but honestly we are in a depression. All those people out there with the easy good paying jobs..be aware!
Dont matter if u got degrees or even masters, when a depression hits,all
those diplomas dont tend to help u alot. Im just glad I still have my job
maybe cause few will actually take it, or even make it! Good luck.
paisaloco67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:28 PM   #10
Richard Dobson

Everything was going great last year. I had bought a donor truck with a 396 rebuilt engine and turbo 400 trans to put into my 68. I was having a ball getting ready to go full out in getting ready to swap out with the 250 6 cyl that I had sold. Then I got laid off as a design engineer after about 23years with the company. It put the truck on the back burner behind all the other necessities. Hope everything works out for everybody. Better things are ahead, let's keep our heads up.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:42 PM   #11
Slik69

yeah, try not to sell it. I bought my truck with a portion of my severance package when I was laid off. I am in the process of lining my ducks up to resume when I get back working. It's giving me the opportunity to learn the truck rather than throw a lot of money at it at once. With no $$ I am still managing to get quit a bit done. It's all the little things. Just hang onto it and do what you can until the funds roll back around.
Slik69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:57 PM   #12
68chevy68

Thats my plan anyways for now. We are paying bills tonight and are ok for the time being. Another couple of weeks however and some things around here will have to go. I hope to maybee have a job before then. The problem is the amount of money I was making to whats available is such a large gap. I got too comfortable. I am good at living cheap though. Grew up that way.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:18 PM   #13
Slik69

Yeah.. thats good. I know how to go without as well. Things will get better as the economy pipcks up.
Slik69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:37 PM   #14
69trk

I'm a union electrician here in oklahoma and work is slowing down quite a bit here. The best advice that i can give anybody is to listen to dave ramsey's advise about getting out of debt and putting 3-6months back for times like this. Read his book, he shows you how to do different types of budgets, and tells you alot of stuff that banks won't tell you. His advise has made a big difference in our lives. Good looking truck by the way.

431 big block times, changed to a 6.0 ls with turbo
1.58- 60'
7.18- 1/8th mile@95.18
11.37- 1/4 @115.81
69trk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:43 PM   #15
Shyguy

Things are getting slow here in Southeast Missouri also.

I work at a chain auto parts store and they cut me back to 3 days a week.

They are thinking about reducing the hours they are open during the winter.

Luckily my wife works at a fabric store and this is their busy time of the year.

Hang in there, I hope you find something.

The truck looks good.

Danny
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.

Last edited by Shyguy; 11-11-2008 at 11:44 PM.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:55 PM   #16
tinlid

Nice truck. Hang on to it.

If it makes you feel better: I worked for an airline a number of years ago. They went under and were bought out by Continental. I took a hugh pay cut and took their job offer at the bottom of the senority. Worked my way up again and went in to Aircraft Composite repair. The airport here in Denver closed down. I was offered a job in LA. On that pay? Gotta be kidding. I took the suggestion of government senators and congressmen and went back to school. Obtained an associate degree in health & safety. Went to work for a waste company. Hours really sucked in management (average 70 per week). The company was bought out by another and all of us management were let go. No manufacturing for employment in EH&S. So, I thought safety in construction. After a number of interviews I learned that not speaking Spanish would keep me unemployed. Back to school again for retraining. CAD3D. The jobs went to India before I finished and I never did see any openings or manage to find one thru an agency. I now work part time in a macnine shop as on call, and calibrating gauges part time, on call. I qualify for SSC but I am holding out for another 2-3 years, I hope. I quite applying for jobs 3 years ago as I am not going to Home Depot, Wal-Mart or something like that where I work nights, weekends and holidays. Did that all my live and no more. I managed to hold on to my 28 Ford 2 dr sedan, chopped 4, dropped axle, 4 bar, vette rear, 400 small block, 40 Ford dash. Working at flush fitting the doors. Also kept my driver 40 Plymouth, 327, 350 turbo but didn't plate it this year. It still needs windows but if you go fast the rain isn't a problem. Plus have my 70 C10 that needs a rocker on the drivers side plus a different door as I don't want to patch the lower.
Being out of work kind of sucked but everything seems to be working out ok. When I lost the waste company job, I was upset until the next morning when I woke up feeling relieved...never realized how much I hated that place.
Now have time to work on projects but most is labor and some parts as I find the money.
Life goes on and we somehow survive and its not always all bad.
Good luck to all of you other out of work or about to be guys on here.
tinlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:06 AM   #17
68chevy68

Its funny that you say you woke up relieved at loosing your job. I was kinda in the same way. I hated that job due to some of the folks I worked with, but would gladly go back for the money. I would do things a little different now though. Pay off my debt for one. If it wasn't for my debt, I would gladly go and work somewhere locally. Maybee an auto parts store for discounts
Old 11-12-2008, 12:53 AM   #18
chevy29267truck
Account Suspended

Guys and ladys try too buy things on sale go too all of the stores not just one store look aroud and when looking for cars,trucks get used thats still workable same thing for parts too
Old 11-12-2008, 01:09 PM   #19

This is all the way across the country, but if anyone wants to move to po-dunk North Dakota, the oilfield is still going strong with pay starting at 18-20 hr, bout 70 hrs a week. Nice truck, too! Hope things turn around. It kinda scares me being an engineering student at MontanaTech with the economy getting worse and worse. Hope it picks up by the time I graduate.
70 Chevy El Camino SS396, Triple Black, 454/th400, Tach
70 Chevy Shortbox Stepside 4x4, 350/th350, Tilt, Tach, Cab Lights, Bumper Guards, Tow Hooks
70 Chevy 3/4 Longbox, 350/auto, 70k, SURVIVOR
71 Chevy Blazer, CST, 350/auto
71 GMC Sierra K2500, 454, 4 speed, 4.10 posi, 37s
71 Custom/30, Open Road, 350/th400, tilt
72 Chevy Shortbox Fleetside, 496 Stroker/th400, Tilt, Tach, Bucket Seats, 3.42 Posi
72 GMC Sierra Grande 2500. 427/th400, tilt, a/c, tool and stowage, buckets/console, 3.54 posi
68350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:47 PM   #20
lowriden58

sorry to hear it man, but October 13th the GM/Mazda/Volkswagon dealership i worked for closed up without any warning! ive been out of work ever since, just living off of unemployment.. which isnt much

of course that same week, my built motor in the 71 crapped out on me due to a failed rocker arm. wiped the cam and bearings. but its just time to upgrade again

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z...en58/001-2.jpg
lowriden58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:04 PM   #21
68chevy68

I have called around to some of the other firms around town and they are not hiring. Even one of the firms thats considered a sweat shop from all the work they produce is not hiring at the moment. I am trying to come up with a way to go back to school for paint and bodywork or metal fabrication. I have some friends that operate that kind of buisiness. I just don't think I can swing it with all the bills I have along with two kidos.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:33 PM   #22
yfz450_0569

my dad owns a trailer manufacturing business and he is doing his best not to lay off employees, hours cut back a little, and some went to west texas for a few weeks/months until things get better. this is also the same reason my truck is on slow go now. i just got out of school and i'm thinking about getting a job elsewhere than my dad's place cuz it's so slow right now and could use some more money
yfz450_0569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:36 AM   #23
Jcentsr6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowriden58 View Post
sorry to hear it man, but October 13th the GM/Mazda/Volkswagon dealership i worked for closed up without any warning! ive been out of work ever since, just living off of unemployment.. which isnt much

of course that same week, my built motor in the 71 crapped out on me due to a failed rocker arm. wiped the cam and bearings. but its just time to upgrade again
Marlow Heights right. I run the service dept. for Annapolis Mazda. I am sorry to hear about what has happened. What did you do there?

Times are tough in the auto market.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:05 AM   #24
tinlid

Going back to school is always a good idea. I did that when I was 50. My daughter and I both were in college, comparing grades. Graduating with an associate degree and on the deans list the whole time doesn't do much good with the attitudes in the companies. At 50, with a fresh degree, you are competing for employment against young graduates, and guess who is hired? Not the old guy. The 2nd go at school, the CAD3D jobs left the country before I graduated. Fortunately our house is now paid for. We are able to live ok off what my wife makes and my part time jobs are used to complete projects in preparation for retirement. New high efficency furnace last fall. Roofed the house and garage this summer. Had time to do it myself and save a bunch. Next summer is new windows, siding and insulation. Our 95 Sable gave up this summer and at a good time I guess. Gas was at $4 and I got a ripping deal on a 2004 Impalla SS Indy Special Edition that I could pay cash for from the part time jobs. I do miss the income from some of my past jobs but I must admit that I am doing more of what I enjoy. I don't buy the new crate motors or boxed new transmissions but I have fun. The 70 C10 is my driver so it will be a slow, as I drive, build. Plans to go thru a 350 I picked up over the winter and add tuned port. I have the Camaro T5 and will locate an S10 tail to move the shifter. I located good, used, 2 1/2" and 3" coils to drop it. I will do my own body and paint and also do my own upholstery as I picked up a commercial sewing machine at auction and have been practicing sewing a straight line. I am fortunate. While income is way down the fun factor keeps going up. We never bought a new car, don't own the biggest house or flat screen TV's. We were never overly interested in eating out except at rod runs or on vacation. I built the 24 X 30 garage in back and it's filled with tools I bought at auctions. I will be adding a 20' covered car port in front and attached to the garage and may enclose it one day to extend the garage but I need it to pull my drivers under to wash/wax and do maintenance as the garage is full of my 28 Ford and tools. The 40 Plymouth sets outside under a cover. Paying down debt is the most important thing you can do. While working and making a good income, double or triple up on house payments making your regular payment and 1 or 2 months principle extra. If you have a car payment, when its done, pay that payment to your savings so you have cash for the next time. Life doesn't end when the job does. It just feels like it. My C10, 28 Ford, 40 Plymouth will never win best of show anywhere but they have not been, and never will be, in someones shop to pay for someone elses work. I find satisfaction in that. My first chop on a car was done by me with my newly purchased, at auction, welder. Once I was quoted a price for the chop and figured out the price of a welder, there was no decision. Buy a welder, preferably used, learn to use it and do the chop myself. I got a slap of realization last fall. My wife had a knee replacement. I was home to take care of her for a month. No job I ever had would have allowed me to do that. She will have the other replaced this coming spring, and again, I will be home to take car of her. There is immense satisfaction in being able to do so. The 2 part time jobs are on as needed basis and the 2 are great to work for. When they knew my wife was having surgery they seemed to come up with a bunch of work before the operation, and had no problem with my not being available for a month. The owner of the machine shop gave me my own key 2 years ago and I have permission to use his equipment any time. So I am slowly becoming a machinest and will make parts for my own projects but never be good enough to be a full time machinest. Life is really good, just not rich in bucks.
tinlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:06 AM   #25
Scott Webster
Sheetmetal Psycho

Work is slow all over I guess. I was laid off in October, worked for 3 weeks and laid off again last week. I'm a union sheet metal worker though. If it weren't for the rain, I'd be outside right now installing the header on the DS and tooling around town. If I had some more tools like a plasma or waterjet table and a tig welder, I don't know as if I'd go back to work for anyone. Don't get me wrong - I love my job. It's the people I sometimes work with.

The truck looks good. Do what you can around the house and keep looking for the next job. You'll bounce back. Anyone that owns one of these trucks is worth hiring. It should be on our resumes lol...
Future mods: 67 front clip

Webby's Rigginations - where everything has potential!
Scott Webster is offline   Reply With Quote