The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2008, 05:22 PM   #26
Hawker7

Re: Cab Corner/ Rocker fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarons72s View Post

I finally glue and rivit the rocker into place. .
What kind of glue are you using for the rockers? I have heard some people use epoxy with great results. I may try that on my driver’s side rocker.
Hawker7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 05:00 AM   #27
Aarons72s

I have used construction adhesive, yah it sounds iffy but if that stuff can hold all they it say it can do than it works for me. I used the polyurethane construction adhesive and what ever you bond is dang near impossible to un bond. But just incase I still rivit it at the same intervals as the facttory spot welds. I then usually use a hammer and dolly to flaten the rivets out where I can to make them look better. It looks alitle diferent than oe, but then again I was after more antticorison facttor than originalitty. I have done this on two trucks. My orange and white and the blue 67 I built for a guy. See my linky in my sig to see the 67 and its rockers. It would probably be better to use the automotive based epoxys but I was on a shoe string budget and construction adhessive is cheap. I have jacked the cab up on the edges of the rocker panels I have done this way and it seems to be solid as a rock. One thing though about the good old construction adhesive, it is like the automittive glues, it does not like bondo or auto paints. So be sure to remove any excess before doing your body work. Underside I dont wory to much about as I undercoat everything. And that stuff sticks to anything! Plus to me one big advantage to this is if these rockers do start rusting you could drill out the rivits and then cut out the old rocker, clean the old glue and liner off with a wire wheel and start the same process all over again. As these are the first thing that rusts out which leads to more rust in the other areas. I also use this method and bolts to install the front and rear outer cab supports. Another place that likes rust. I hope this helps. If you need anymore help I would be glad to help.

Last edited by Aarons72s; 11-27-2008 at 05:02 AM.
Aarons72s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:17 AM   #28
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Arrow Re: Cab Corner/ Rocker fit

cab corner / rocker fit on these truck's is horrible , and so is every other piece of sheetmetal , anywhere that one part is supposed to align with another on these truck's it is off , door's stick out , tailgates stick out , door to fender gap's are awfull !!!
but here is the good news you can fix it !! I almost got upset with my 67 because of these alignment problem's but I just fixed them and went on about my day ,, here is my 67 when I was working on it , if you would like some better up close pics of rocker and door gaps I can take some ,, here is just a few I had saved

19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 03:11 PM   #29
mbgmike

[QUOTE=19673ontree;2995129]cab corner / rocker fit on these truck's is horrible , and so is every other piece of sheetmetal , anywhere that one part is supposed to align with another on these truck's it is off , door's stick out , tailgates stick out , door to fender gap's are awfull !!!

If everything fit perfect they would not need us bodymen and we would be living under a bridge.

Nice looking body, you did a nice job.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:09 PM   #30
Aarons72s

Sorry it took so long. Here are some pics for you.
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2008, 02:13 PM   #31
Aarons72s

More pics.
Attached Images