The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2008, 05:05 PM   #26
justcuz

Re: Progress pic '67 tahoe project!

Looks real nice! I prefer the understated look of a stock hood too. The wheels are a nice style for the vehicle, so much so that to the untrained eye at first glance they may not even notice it has been shrtened. If you stay with the stock two tone colors it will be a pretty cool combo.
justcuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:06 PM   #27
JeremyPenner

ok here's a couple a few answers to your questions.. the stock hood went on another project of mine.. so as far as now its stayn with the cowl.. I'm planning on doing the original two-tone paint scheme i was going to do it all black but the two-tone is really growing on me.. the burb has a 6inch drop coil in the back and the front coils must have been heated up by the previous owner cause i havint done anything up there yet.. i plan to drop it 2 more inches though.. I had planned to bag it but kinda like the way it sits now and want all the room in the back to haul junk.. Its shortend 20inches just like frizzyfry's.. it has coys 22x9 wheels with 265/35 rubber.. I'm fixing to start welding up the floor inside i'll try to get some more pics posted soon.. thanks jp
'48 c.o.e. chevy
'41 c.o.e. chevy

pictures of my projects on myspace...

http://www.myspace.com/localoffroad
JeremyPenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:00 PM   #28
Rokcrln

And now there were three! What are your plans for blending in the roof? I was first looking at doing a newer roof off a wagon or van but I did not like the flatness they all have. So now I am thinking of lowering the front to match the rear for a slight chop/lower look.

So did you take out 12 in front and 8 in the rear? I did 9 3/4" in front and 10" in the rear.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 12-30-2008 at 12:05 PM.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:02 PM   #29
JeremyPenner

yeah i did 12in front and 8 in the back.. i planned on putting a different roof on to but havint found anything i like yet.. im going to take the 20inch section i cut out of the top and section it back in now.. for now that is.. its kinda on the back burner at the moment until i get the steel for the floor.. I've debated on chopping the top or doing a slant chop but when i draw it on paper it just looks like a suburban again.. lol jp
'48 c.o.e. chevy
'41 c.o.e. chevy

Old 12-30-2008, 11:17 PM   #30
Rokcrln

Yeh I just started my roof today and it turned out great. What we did was do a mini roof crown chop to the front to bring it down to the rear and take out some of that Burb roof bow!

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:03 PM   #31
71'tahoe

You guys got me wanting to find another burb..quick...What wheel sbase are you guys running...mainly Lewis. My plan was to notch the rear doors alil more,like the ones on the 96-99 tahoes as well as run the same wheels base as the newer ones. I like the idea of the stock hood as the cowl hoods for these trucks always looked like a wedge of cheese to me and looked out of place and didnt flow well with the lines..But hey in the end its you ride and it is bad ass!!
71'tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:58 AM   #32
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71'tahoe View Post
You guys got me wanting to find another burb..quick...What wheel sbase are you guys running...mainly Lewis. My plan was to notch the rear doors alil more,like the ones on the 96-99 tahoes as well as run the same wheels base as the newer ones. I like the idea of the stock hood as the cowl hoods for these trucks always looked like a wedge of cheese to me and looked out of place and didnt flow well with the lines..But hey in the end its you ride and it is bad ass!!
Ours is 2 1/4" longer then a short bed and I believe the other two are the same as a short bed. Don't worry about being the same wheel base as the newer Tahoe's because all these proportions are way different then the newer Tahoe's like door length, wheel placement in the front fenders and so on. AS for the WB on ours we went this way for looks, proportions and it also worked out were the second row seat is full size and does not need any mods nor does the floor in this area.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:05 AM   #33
71'tahoe

kEVIN,
I know what you are saying on proportions,as I have taken measurements upon measurements.I dont want to completly copy the wheels base. I just want the rear doorsto tailgate area to look proportioned right. Thats why i was curious as to your specs. From what I have gathered i want to notch the doors a lil,like you did just to bring every thing into prospective.For me the rear side glass cant be to long. Another thing I want to do as you did was to shorten the over hang,from the back of the rear wheel arch to the bumper. Sorry to hack this thread,but I have never giving up on my hopes of one day startin another tahoe. Thanks Kevin.

Greg
71'tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:13 AM   #34
884x4Sub
p p pullin'

cool project!
Old 01-09-2009, 02:22 PM   #35
HEX214PONY

The tahoe is looking good!!! Hey i have one quick question, what it the length of the opening of the drivers(or passenger) door window at the top? Basically it would be the distance between the corners where the top of the glass meets the door frame. I am working on making my 69 into an extended cab. If you could supply me with this info i would greatly appreciate it!
HEX214PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:22 AM   #36
JeremyPenner

mines.. 25 7/16 inches including the fake vent window.. is that what ur talking about? jp
'48 c.o.e. chevy
'41 c.o.e. chevy

Old 01-28-2009, 11:48 PM   #37
HEX214PONY

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyPenner View Post
mines.. 25 7/16 inches including the fake vent window.. is that what ur talking about? jp
I'm assuming that measurement is right, but if not here is a photo to make things a little more clear. If you could supply me with these measurements that would be awesome. A = measurement from corner to corner. B = interior measurement from corner to corner. C = angle between both members.
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2009, 01:00 AM   #38
JeremyPenner

hex, did u ever get the measurments u needed? its been awhile since i've got online here......
'48 c.o.e. chevy
'41 c.o.e. chevy

Old 03-16-2009, 11:41 PM   #39
HEX214PONY

Yes i was able to get some measurements but i haven't made time to do anything to my truck. Im off for spring break so hopefully i can do some work. Do you know if the angle of the door frame is exactly 90 degrees, letter C in the image? Thanks for asking. I might start a thread of the progress sometime in the near future.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:10 AM   #40
toomanytoyz
Luv the Crewcabs

ttt for updates???

Thanks, Rick
67 Fleet
68 Wrecker
68 Suburban
76 Crewcab
79 Gmc Dumptruck
84 Blazer
86 Crewcab Stepside
87 Iroc
89 GMC Plow Truck
91 Camaro Vert
96 Z71 Stepsde
toomanytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 03:28 PM   #41
GR8-68

very nice burb love the look
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:48 AM   #42
randy70

thats a great idea and some great work as well.
randy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:15 PM   #43
capev86

very interesting project there.....something unique. however...i would shoot anyone who did that to my suburban. i never liked the modern 4 door tahoe's as they are just proportionately incorrect to me. give me a 2 door (blazer) or a regular suburban. its nice having the 3 rows of seating AND luggage space behind. the 4 door tahoe's look like a suburban rear-ended with the second row doors wedged in and notched around the wheels. also, wish you had done this with a rust bucket considering the amount you hacked up the body anyway....that looked like a very restorable 3/4 ton burb (i see 8 lugs in some of the pics). still a unique project. i just hope this doesn't become the latest trend and everyone cuts up their classic burbs. you'd need to have a tahoe (or other name) emblem(s) made for it because it is technically no longer a suburban when it is shortened.....that would be saying the ford expediton and excursion are the exact same vehicle (1/2 ton vs. 3/4 ton chassis' not taken into account here). but keep up the work....the truck deserves a happy ending!

oh....don't get me started on how gmc burb's are now called yukon xl's (extra large) when they were around 60 years before the tahoe niche came out. insulting if you ask me. anyway....i bought my 72 burb because it is a suburban and i couldn't imagine wanting any other brand or model of truck more.....it will haul 9 people (when i get a third seat) and cargo or the payload of long bed pickup. you just can't beat that combination. i would love to see a shortened panel truck (please someone do this with a rough body needing lots of work anyway, not an easy resto project). it would be best with the same proportions as a blazer but the roof would be integral with the body and therefore smoother looking than the blazer pop top.

Last edited by capev86; 08-12-2009 at 07:19 PM.
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:08 PM   #44
Frizzle Fry

I love how offensive this is to some people... they don't have suburban badges to begin with, and excursions and expo's are completely different body styles; not a good comparison to the suburban/tahoe

Where are the progress pics? Any? (I know I'm not one to complain in that department...)
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:27 PM   #45
Long Roof
Old School, New Style

Your truck. Your money. Be creative I say. I love these projects.

My granddad told me one time that 'if everyone liked the same thing then everyone would be chasing grandma!'
- 96 Chevy Impala SS - mainly stock
- 98 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4 - all stock
The Bad:
- 86 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 4x4 - winter beater
The Ugly:
- 72 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 2wd - parts truck
Long Roof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:25 PM   #46
capev86

no....i don't dislike people for thinking outside the box....that is ultimately a good thing.....its just that i prefer a few good bolt on mods that bring a classic vehicle up to modern standards without screwing with what it is and how it looks visually. its when the trend is to chop the top, notch the frame and slam the thing to the ground to the point that it is no longer a real vehicle....gets me. i grew up with suburbans....and the thought of making them less than what they were intended to be (i.e.....shortening them) just feels sacrilegious. my dad wants to get an extend trailblazer so he can downsize but still be able to do much of what he did with his suburban....he just won't be able to fit a queen size mattress....something that won't fit in a tahoe either.

its too late to turn back now.....get it done. i think it would look better without the back doors....a bit like a truck sedan delivery with windows. for me....being different is keeping the eclectic 3 on the tree in my 72 burb 3/4T 2wd when everyone else goes auto. a 406sbc in it instead of a big block or a crate motor 350. keeping the corp/eaton rear end (w/ a 4.10 swap in) instead of going to a dana or 14BFF axle. tracking down the OD unit for the saginaw instead of going to a 700-R4. it seems a lot of guys turn their burbs into lowriders. i want to keep mine at stock height and use it as a truck. factory sport trucks have a performance stance, but leveled/slammed ground scraping is best left to those lousy imports that are a dime a dozen!

i see one gentleman build a classic style tahoe (unfortunately out of a perfectly good burb)....and that is certainly worth note due to the uniqueness. but when several other people jump on the band wagon and start a trend....i cringe to think how much faster the (true) suburban population will dwindle. if i wanted an altered ego ride, i'd buy one of those fiberglass bodies and save the original sheetmetal for someone wishing to take a trip down memory lane. the resto mod approach is preferable in that it combines the factory bodywork with bolt in mods that can always be changed back to factory. ok....i'm done ranting.....i have no more hair to pull out......LOL.

the point is, the suburban is the ultimate truck and nothing else can compare....75 years strong next year and predate the original nazi era beetle prototypes. i don't care what jeep owners say about it having to be a 4x4.....its the body style that counts. the suburban is the original suv that all others can only aspire to.....its a legacy and a love affair!

Last edited by capev86; 08-12-2009 at 09:52 PM.
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:59 PM   #47
kev2809
low n' slo

you mention a lot of stuff YOU like on YOUR suburban, or how YOU would like YOUR suburban to look, well you know im gonna say it but- its not yours lol. how do you think chop top, notching the frame, and slamming it gets started? there always has to be someone to do it first. who hated on the second guy who chopped the top off his truck or bagged it? i think this burb looks great the way it is, and the other one on here (rockcrln) looks great too, awesome work on both of them. not everyone buys a suburban to fit a king size mattress in or something. i got a nbs tahoe and obs burban, both to haul around the kids. but my 67 burb, is for me to do whatever I want to it, because its not meant to haul around whatever i need to like the other 2 trucks. just thought i would add my thoughts...by the way, great work on the burb jeremypenner.

*EDIT* and the title says 67 tahoe project, so what did you expect to be in this thread lol

Last edited by kev2809; 08-14-2009 at 10:02 PM.
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:32 PM   #48
JeremyPenner

lol geez!! man.... I have it all cut up doing rust repair and sheet metal fabbin around the 3rd door.. hopefully have it in primer soon.. i'll try to post some pics up in the next few days..
'48 c.o.e. chevy
'41 c.o.e. chevy

Old 08-25-2009, 12:34 PM   #49
JeremyPenner

couple of progress pics.. mainly rust repair stuff....

'48 c.o.e. chevy
'41 c.o.e. chevy

Old 08-27-2009, 07:28 AM   #50
Rokcrln

Progress is a good thing!

Kevin
LFD Inc.