The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2008, 09:47 PM   #26
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Re: RAT ROD rant

After reading this article from Wikipedia, I realized I am no longer going to refer to myself as a "stocker". I now know I fall into the preservationist category.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:33 AM   #27
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

I agree that any old scrap is now ratrod fodder... Then again, where's the line?

Gathering junk to put together a rod is one thing, but ruining something savable and in reasonable condition is another.

Rant, grumble, whine, waa
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:39 AM   #28
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

I keep remembering the line from some geek on a TV show who sniffed, stuck up his nose and said "we don't build '69 Camaros" while showing off what I considered a turd with friends. I think they had a tractor radiator shroud on the front of something that looked pretty out of place.

I'll stop babbling...
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:20 AM   #29
Sinister-65

Quote:
Originally Posted by slepysal View Post
true
That was my point exactly .
Old 12-31-2008, 09:22 AM   #30
Sinister-65

Quote:
true
opps clicked the wrong post to quote ment to quote Jonscustom .
"no dolphman.. I think it is more the "band wagon" people
type rat rod into ebay and do a search, you will get almost everything but the kitchen sink.
the complaint is that now everything that is rusty,unfinished,primer or flat black, gets labeled a rat rod, or rat rod material... then they tack on a few extra $$$for using the word in front of you.

not even sure what a true rat rod is anymore... and I am getting to the point that I don't care either. " this is my point exactly.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:12 AM   #31
c10addict

Since I own both, a shiney flawless 68 will all kinds of billet on it and a fuel injected motor and a 64 I call rusty that has original paint that is falling off and holes in the hood and rockers I will chime in here... I too am over the "Rat Rod" term... I hear it all the time though when I drive my 64 from the masses. I call it a shop truck... but then again why? Why do they require a title? They are both classic trucks... Period! I must admitt I have had more fun with my 64 than I have EVER had with my 68... I drive it every day and park it where ever I want.. If you are getting ready to pull the trigger on a project you may want to consider making it nice but not too nice so you can enjoy it...
Attached Images

54 GMC under the knife getting a S10 chassis swap and bagged. See my build thread...
07 GMC Sierra 5/7 drop, 22's and 24's Air ride on my mind..
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=339340

See pics of my trucks in my profile
c10addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:31 AM   #32
Sinister-65

The project is going to be my sons first vechicle ,so just going build a
nice cruiser for a six teen year old.
not a show truck hell some might even call it a RAT ROD
Old 12-31-2008, 11:48 AM   #33
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Quote:
There are nice looking rats , like Chiefs, and then there are the "fake" rats, the ones made to look like they are what they are not, with sanded down paint spots , or exposed bare metal with surface rust, tacky.
An old truck brought back to life is cool.
A nice old truck made to look "rat" is not.
Niether is a parts truck that is beeing sold as a rat for more money then it is worth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post

I really hate even the term "rat rod"
most so called rat rods are pieces-o-crap that are built to look and be pieces-o-crap....
"rat-rod" and "hack-job" are synonymous in my book.....
I wouldn't put Chief in that category......
I can't wait for the fad to be a thing of the past
Quote:
I am in no way putting Chief down . I have seen his truck in person and it is a WELL put togther truck!!!
Thanks for the comments.....

As far as the Chief goes, I wouldn't call it a hack job, then again it's far from a full show frame off resto or resto/custom.

I do have a rattle can paint job on it, but eventually will body-work and paint it a suede black.

My buddy Rich gave me the idea, "Why dont you Rattle black the bed and see how you like it?" So I gave it a try.

The reason for a rattlle black was to make it "look decent" in the meantime.

It was way bad when I first got it. It was given to me for free, so I kept the 'low-budget' thing going.

I thought it looked cool, so I decided to stick with it untill I apply the 'real' stuff.

People always comment on the look and often refer to it as "Nice Rat-rod"

It is not neccesarily ratty, but then again...it has no carpet, no hood (), galvenized sheet for a bed floor, WWW and the wheels painted red.....no biggy.

Not sure what 'category' I fall into. I have seen other trucks on here, of various years, that look the same.

I'm trying to keep it original as possible....even with my auto swap, I'm trying to come up with an OG column.

So you guys tell me....what Category AM I in ??

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:54 AM   #34
c10addict

Rattle cans are fun! Thats what I used on my newest project... I am going with an army truck theme so I dont want the paint super nice...
Attached Images

54 GMC under the knife getting a S10 chassis swap and bagged. See my build thread...

Old 12-31-2008, 11:55 AM   #35
joe231

John, I love the Chief, in no way was I calling it a Hack or rat. your truck screams COOL to me, you could leave it as is, as far as I'm concerned. just get the trans in first
I agree with the addict, screw categorizing or rigs, just build them and enjoy!
On our '66, we are going for a nice driver that is durable and we aren't afraid to take down dirt roads.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:56 AM   #36
c10addict

[/QUOTE]

Lets just call them Bad Ass Trucks... It sounds better... Hey man did you see that Rat Rod? or Hey man did you see that Bad Ass Truck?

Old 12-31-2008, 11:57 AM   #37
joe231

Old 12-31-2008, 11:57 AM   #38
Sinister-65

that would be the sweet looking truck category for 100. Alex
Old 12-31-2008, 01:03 PM   #39
slepysal

Shoot my truck sports a low buck Earl Schienb paint job, an asortment of swap meet , ebay, craigslist parts, and some rims that I had in my shed she is just a low budget build that I call "EL CHEEPO"

Name:  60w2.jpg
Views: 7408
Size:  59.7 KB

"Over, Around or through it... "
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:41 PM   #40
bird7263
Urban Chop Shop

Chief your truck is kick a$$ and c10addict yours is bad a$$.. Like I have said before the old school that "who cares if is gets a scratch" look is great.. I would fall in same category.

My father drove a 1934 ford coupe that was beat up a with flat head 8 tri power and slicks in the 60's that killer. Bought it for $300 buck and drove it through high school. I guess we would call the a original "rat rod"

I call that tradition.. Tradition that came long before most of us were born. And that was lost in the 80's when purple and baby blue and pink and 10 tone paint became pouplar. And the retard "puke mods" were born. With the 50's 60s truck with the 80's paint and interior.

So what if the younger gen wants to bring back the rat rod thing.. Let em'.. Like I said it only makes your junkers worth more money.. That was the goal right? to have a old car that will eventually bring some money..

If that is what you don't want.. Than go by a cellica or a accord or something that will depreciate in value.. Let the classic cars gain in value.

AND IF YOUR PARTS TRUCK THAT YOU THINK IS WORTH $300 AND THEY ARE ASKING $1500... WHO GIVES A S*%T.. VALUE IS GOING UP.. THAT IS A GOOD THING.. BE CREATIVE AND FIND A DIFFERENT SOURCE.. CAUSE THE TRUCK YOU ARE BUYING THE PARTS FOR IS EVENTUALLY GONNA BE WORTH THAT MUCH MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1965 Chevy 1/2T Longbox, soon to be a slammed shop truck

Build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=591266

Semper Fi Marines
bird7263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:11 PM   #41
tonythezeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by c10addict View Post
If you are getting ready to pull the trigger on a project you may want to consider making it nice but not too nice so you can enjoy it...
I kinda like this mode of thought and can agree with it. It reminds me of something my art teach back in college use to say... "there are two type of art in this world; there is aesthetic and then there is functional. Both are equally beautiful but I like the ones I can touch or use." He was a mega hippie and kinda reminded me of Bob Ross but in my eyes, he was spot on.

Dont get me wrong, I appreciate the really nice autos but in the back of my head I always wonder, "Do they ever get to use it? Are they really enjoying it?"

...now where is my beer and my can of primer?
tonythezeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:14 PM   #42
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post
John, I love the Chief, in no way was I calling it a Hack or rat. your truck screams COOL to me, you could leave it as is, as far as I'm concerned. just get the trans in first
I agree with the addict, screw categorizing or rigs, just build them and enjoy!
On our '66, we are going for a nice driver that is durable and we aren't afraid to take down dirt roads.
I know you bro....I didn't mean you were...

Quote:
Originally Posted by c10addict View Post

Lets just call them Bad Ass Trucks... It sounds better... Hey man did you see that Rat Rod? or Hey man did you see that Bad Ass Truck? [/QUOTE]

Slepy's truck is super clean...IMO...

BAD A$$ TRUCKS IT IS !!!!

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:31 PM   #43
tonythezeek

..so does that mean we can call them B.A.Ts? Bad Ass Trucks?
tonythezeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:22 PM   #44
Oregoon
Roadside Rebuilder

Heading in the same direction with my Burb.

It's pretty original, and it's got a cool history I'd like to preserve. However, it'll get finished all the way someday--whatever that means! It'll be rusty-white with red-oxide primer showing through for quite some time to come, likely with some new primer spots, being as I'll be doing bodywork on the panel-by-panel basis.

Shooting for dark blue satin eventually, with gloss-creme bumpers and wheels, and black-walls. Rhino-liner on the metal parts of the floor-boards, and plain black vynil on the seats. Low budget/high labor...

*all plans subject to change without notice.

Last edited by Oregoon; 12-31-2008 at 10:31 PM.
Oregoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:41 PM   #45
PrerunnerRob

I hate getting labeled, but.....

The main problem I see with these "rat rods" is the fact that the small minority are built unsafe, period. I've seen too many poorly built, badly executed excuses for proper engineering and safety at a lot of shows. The real problem is the people that own them are "cool" with it being unsafe, since "it's a rat rod bro!" If you are in the process of building a sweet vehicle, but it has a coat of rattle can primer, is rolling on stocker wheels, and stops correctly, you are good to go in my book. The problem is the idiots that think it's ok to e-brake to stop all the time, cause cause they pulled the car out of a field a few weeks ago and can't be bothered to make it right. Ive seen a few scary things at shows in the last few years, all for the "rat rod" style. Holes intentionally "rusted" into a fiberglass bodied car, a wooden 2x4 frame, and flat stock used for axle notches. I wouldn't put my family in one of these beaters, and people need to realize that THEY have a responsibilty to everyone on the road, not just look out for themselves.

Not that I'm bitter at all....

All I ask from anyone that is about to put a car on the road, would you trust your family's life in this vehicle? If not, then take your time to make it right, the road will be waiting!

Last edited by PrerunnerRob; 12-31-2008 at 10:42 PM.
PrerunnerRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:38 PM   #46
19GMC63

your exactly right. My definition of a true rat correlates with poor saftey and shotty shadetree engineering.
19GMC63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:15 AM   #47
leftcoast66

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrerunnerRob View Post
I hate getting labeled, but.....

The main problem I see with these "rat rods" is the fact that the small minority are built unsafe, period. I've seen too many poorly built, badly executed excuses for proper engineering and safety at a lot of shows. The real problem is the people that own them are "cool" with it being unsafe, since "it's a rat rod bro!" If you are in the process of building a sweet vehicle, but it has a coat of rattle can primer, is rolling on stocker wheels, and stops correctly, you are good to go in my book. The problem is the idiots that think it's ok to e-brake to stop all the time, cause cause they pulled the car out of a field a few weeks ago and can't be bothered to make it right. Ive seen a few scary things at shows in the last few years, all for the "rat rod" style. Holes intentionally "rusted" into a fiberglass bodied car, a wooden 2x4 frame, and flat stock used for axle notches. I wouldn't put my family in one of these beaters, and people need to realize that THEY have a responsibilty to everyone on the road, not just look out for themselves.

Not that I'm bitter at all....

All I ask from anyone that is about to put a car on the road, would you trust your family's life in this vehicle? If not, then take your time to make it right, the road will be waiting!
I agree 100%. Personally I call those the ratrods and the rest are projects, and hotrods and such. Just because its primer doesn't mean its unsafe, as Chief and C10addict, and I'd like to think mine is that way as well. Safe, not wanting to spend a ton of money to make it look good but keeping it clean. Not intentionally putting rusty panels or anything on, just leaving the truck as it is, and working from there to build up a fun, safe ride. Cuz honestly, if your putting something unsafe on the road, your not the only one odds are who will get hurt if something fails. Sure wouldn't want to hit a family, or anyone for that matter in any other vehicles on the road, cuz they had no choice in the matter of the builder not wanting to build something safe. Just innocent bystanders.
/rant
leftcoast66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:35 PM   #48
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

I drive a rat rod in my garage. Its got enough holes in the sheet metal for mice, rats and ferets to run through.

When I tell people I want to stick with the original color, but go with a flat they often say. "Why don't you just paint if flat black like a rat rod"

I usually have to reply with I want to go flat because I don't want a shinny finish and I'm not building a Rat Rod I'm rebuilding the truck with just a different finish because I'm planning on going with the original Mint Green just flat.

They normally walk away confused like I'm planning on doing something that doesn't make sense to them or something. They can't understand that the only thing shinny on my truck is going to be the chrome bumper and grill.

To me a Rat Rod is something that a group of guys got together to build a racer and put everything into the drive train and ran out of money on the body and more or less grabbed whatever they could to finish the job. Not grabbed a torch and cut off good stuff just to throw on junk to make it look like junk.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:47 PM   #49
**grumpy**

Here's a few of the trucks I've owned the past 4 years.

ALL have been referred to as Ratrods!!!

I get sick of hearing it. I'm a nice guy to those that know me. I'm not easy to approach, as I usually don't like people in general So when I hear these comments, I normally express what I'm thinking....haha
My wife says it's a good thing I'm 6'1 and 320lbs.

You tell me if you see a ratrod in the bunch. All MII or clipped, sbc/auto, updated rearends, new wiring, airride etc...

Just cause there isn't shiney paint, doesn't make it a beater. I've had many shiney cars and trucks. I've had many bagged wagons, cars, trucks, shiney, weathered, primered etc...
I have way more fun with primer or weathered trucks.
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2009, 05:02 PM   #50
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

They look like a bunch of 'old school/traditional flavored trucks to me...I dont think people know what they are talking about most of the time.
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote