The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-17-2002, 10:08 PM   #26
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Someone told me they put lights in the shift indicator place for the high beams, choke light, etc, when they did theirs, after they installed aftermarket gauges, which I have too. If you've ever seen my gauges, you will remember how I have my lights in the center of my bezel. Well, now since I bought some pretty, nice billet pieces, I plan on moving my lights to the indicator space.

Here is how my gauges look now.

No way am I putting holes in my new polished billet bezel. Besides, I've always thought the little LED's looked dorky since I did it. Works good, but not the cleanest looking thing you've ever seen.
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 12:52 AM   #27
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Damn Mike you're making me rethink not installing a shifter like that on mine. Looks great. I know Ryan said that it was adjustable in height by 2-3 inches. I'm just wondering how high it would come on a bench seat also wouldn't you need a cut out for the seatto hit 1st? Just weighing all my ideas before anything else.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 01:46 AM   #28
bill_ont_canada
Nobody is perfect...

Hey Mike! Your plans are great, BUT...

I tried to print out the plans for the speaker enclosure and the consul and it keeps telling me the program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. I can't get them to print... it is a puzzle to me. " I hate that message " GRRRRRRR
Is it me or something else????????

" Loud Pipes Save Lives "
bill_ont_canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 04:01 AM   #29
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Bill try Rt. click on the picture and copy it. Then go to Word program and click on paste. This should paste it there. Check a preview of it before printing.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
Old 12-18-2002, 09:14 AM   #30
BigRed

Or, you can just right click on each picture and save them to your hard drive. That way you'll have them all. Then, you can just add each one to word and it will save you some time down the road if you need to look at the pictures again.
Old 12-18-2002, 05:11 PM   #31
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

The small drawings are links. Click on the small ones, and it will take you to a full size one you can/should be able to print from your browser. Of course you can also right click on the large drawings and click save. Then you can print them out in any graphics program if you like.
Old 12-18-2002, 05:17 PM   #32
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Brandon,

I'm not sure about the truck Megashifter because mine is not the truck one. Ryan's is I think. But, I know my shifter wouldn't be high enough for the bench seat. I'm also thinking, it would need to be so far forward to clear the seat, even if it was high enough, you would be reaching. As you can see in mine and Ryan's pics, we have it mounted farther back. This is the comfort zone for me, as I'm sure it is for Ryan also. I didn't want to have to reach up to shift from Park to Drive.

Maybe Ryan can tell you more since I think his is the truck shifter.
Old 12-18-2002, 05:53 PM   #33
BigRed

Quote:
Originally posted by swervin ervin
Brandon,

I'm not sure about the truck Megashifter because mine is not the truck one. Ryan's is I think. But, I know my shifter wouldn't be high enough for the bench seat. I'm also thinking, it would need to be so far forward to clear the seat, even if it was high enough, you would be reaching. As you can see in mine and Ryan's pics, we have it mounted farther back. This is the comfort zone for me, as I'm sure it is for Ryan also. I didn't want to have to reach up to shift from Park to Drive.

Maybe Ryan can tell you more since I think his is the truck shifter.
Lokar also makes some nice floor shifters that actually come up much higher than the B&M and Hurst ones. However, I don't think they're made for quick shifts like these are.
Old 12-18-2002, 11:45 PM   #34
arveetek
Ultimate Diesel Dude

Mike,

GM did offer tilt steering columns in manual, floor-shifter equipped trucks. The 86 K-10 I just sold had tilt wheel, cruise control, and wiper control all on the column, with a floor-shifted 465. It was factory, and it was obviously not an automatic column. However, I do understand that it was a rare option.
Old 12-19-2002, 04:56 AM   #35
bill_ont_canada
Nobody is perfect...

Thanx Mike

I got all the drawings copied and printed out with your advice.
Are the boxes designed specifically for Sony Xplode Subs ??, if so how do I figure out the box volume for other brands of speakers that may not have the specs for the box with them ???
The salesman at the electronics shop said" the subs box volume can vary from brand to brand"...
Is he throwing me a curv to try and sell me his boxes or is the volume of the boxes similar for most 12" subs ??????

What a dilema!!

Thanx again

" Loud Pipes Save Lives "
bill_ont_canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 07:55 AM   #36
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Mike just curious why you didn't go with the truck shifter? Looks like I'll be sticking with the standard shifter for now unless something works out for me.

Old 12-19-2002, 09:18 AM   #37
BigRed

Re: Thanx Mike

Quote:
Originally posted by bill_ont_canada
I got all the drawings copied and printed out with your advice.
Are the boxes designed specifically for Sony Xplode Subs ??, if so how do I figure out the box volume for other brands of speakers that may not have the specs for the box with them ???
The salesman at the electronics shop said" the subs box volume can vary from brand to brand"...
Is he throwing me a curv to try and sell me his boxes or is the volume of the boxes similar for most 12" subs ??????

What a dilema!!

Thanx again
Bill, your subwoofer manufacturer should be able to give you the box volume numbers. They either have it on their website or the box the subwoofers came with will have it.
Old 12-19-2002, 10:18 AM   #38
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

A thread about tilt manual columns at "the other place."

http://www.chevytalk.org/forums/Foru...ML/007971.html

Slonaker
Old 12-19-2002, 11:26 AM   #39
85Silverado

Nice console!! Great work!

You might not want to build them, but you could sell the plans to build them to make a little extra loot? hehe

'78 C20 Scottsdale
350ci
3 speed with granny gear
14 bolt rearend

My trucks are "Car-Guy safe".......which pretty much means death trap in the hands of a normal civilian.
85Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 05:44 PM   #40
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

To figure the box volume, with the info you get from the speaker manufacturer, you just multiply the internal measurements. You know, width x height x length. I can't remember exactly what my volume was, but I have two internal seperater panels to make it work.

No they are not designed just for Xplods. Any speaker will work, as long as it's not a real deep design. If so the magnet will hit the back panel. You see on mine, I had to add a ring to space it out some. This is because I had the box built before ordering my Xplods. I used the measurements from Sony's site to adjust the depth and it wasn't enough. I didn't feel like tearing it back apart, so I come up with the brilliant idea of the spacer ring. Works great and was a lot easier than having to redo everything.

I adjusted the measurements on the drawings to take care of this for the Xplods. It may work with a lot of other subs too. I would recommend having the subs before you do the speaker board part and go from there. Of course you will need to adjust this on the top also, where the board fastens to it.

There are so many variables to this stuff. Every speaker and stuff will be different. I have two amps and put them in the console, under the amp rest. It's a tight fit, but it works pretty nicely. According to what size your amps are, will have an impact on what you need to do. My console was built especially for my amps, so others may need to adjust the width a little.

As far as selling the plans, no way. I am not one to try and make money off of helping others. If I wanted to do this, I wouldn't be paying for my domain name and web hosting just for my site. As you may have seen, my site has no ads or anything. I pay for it out of my own pocket. My site is not a freebie. I do this just to help my fellow trucker friends and for the love of this crazy hobby of ours.

1985 Chevy C-10
Old 12-19-2002, 05:46 PM   #41
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Oh, and Brandon, I went with the regular Megashifter just because I was going to be using a console to mount it in. I didn't need the raised mount the truck shifter has anyway.

1985 Chevy C-10