The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2009, 10:20 PM   #26
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Re: Tomorrow The '63 Comes Off Of The Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by protrash64 View Post
Are those the original wheels from the first pics??? They look really clean or new.
Same wheels. I used a whole bottle of Eagle Wire Wheel cleaner on them today. Rubbed a little with a plastic scouring pad...That **** ate my hands alive.

Those aren't my choice for wheels...But that's what came on the truck. And the budget says: "Run What Ya Brung".

I got rattle can money.

You know, it's amazing. I always went up-scale building bikes or cars or whatever. When I retired in September, I made a decision to get my self together....Before, I'd buy say, a set of seats that were leather for $500 just so I could use two of the four for a project. Then I'd pass on the other two to some happy camper. It was cool. And I could do it. I never sold parts.....Almost never...just pass them along.

Motors...Ayeeee! Don't get me started. You guys know about all this big-buck stuff, anyway.

Now I've figured out...(and the 401k that turned into a 201k helped with this)...as much as I like my Bros in the car and bike world, when I buy something and then take a boning on it, and the project goes to someone else finally...and it always has....there is less satisfaction in passing it off to someone that is happy that I paid top-dollar, than in being prudent and planning the finances a little better.

Now, some things just HAVE to be done right. But I don't have to do it all at once...right? Now, where did I see those Coys on Craigslist?

Kidding. Maybe, just maybe, I can get the Karma back from all those smiles on the faces of the guys who ended up with stuff l;ike a whole Nitrous set up for free.....cause I changed my mind...Don't get me wrong, I was happy to pass stuff along. Just can't do it any more.

I might have some extra horse shoes after this build, tho. And, guess what, the '63 and the '83 are staying with me until my license gets pulled. Hopefully in no less than thirty or forty years.
But always a rat.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:33 PM   #27
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

.....cool mindset!!! I have never done any high dollar projects....never had the high dollars. But, thru my work and meeting people, and gaining knowledge and experience with these trucks, and all the other Chevy's Ive owned Im able to do stuff for relatively affordable outlays. Its a nice position to be in, but easy too cuz Ive always liked stuff that looks like it gets used or enjoyed. You're right, eventually you get there.
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:29 PM   #28
magwakeenercew2jh

Here's the first coat. Nothin' better to do these last few days.

I also "Photoshopped" the chop of the rear end, blurred out a little rust (wish it was that easy in real life), and colored over in the red primer a mistake I'd made by using too much white on the windshield frame in front of the door. I'll fix that with "real" Rustoleum. .

Still a very nasty beast, but a smooth runner and it's fun to play around on this low-budget deal.

Note: Camper "triangles" removed, Horseshoes still attached.
But always a rat.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:30 PM   #29
magwakeenercew2jh

Oops!
Attached Images

But always a rat.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:17 AM   #30
magwakeenercew2jh

Another.
Attached Images

But always a rat.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:38 PM   #31
magwakeenercew2jh

This won't be your typical post:

I'm sick of this truck. I have been working on some basic stuff for a few weeks. Making assessments of the rust, digging windows out of doors, climbing under with a power washer to get 400 lbs. of llama crap off of the frame, washing, sanding, primering, masking, sanding, bed cleaning...oops!, rotten wood everywhere....re-starting after a power wash of the engine bay. Blowing a muffler apart, responding to Craigslist ads, looking in Summit and LMC, waiting for the UPS guy to bring stuff, changing hood hinges, etc., etc.

Okay. It's a hobby. I dig that. I built a truck from frame-off to show with my own fat hands and the help of those smarter than me. I learned alot. It bled me dry of ca$h. No problem. I'm a grown man. It's a hobby. I stopped everything that was destructive and cost me lost cash that I used to do in 1981.

I've built about ten bikes for show and to ride over the years. I don't have welding skills or engineering skills or machining, or painting that many of you guys do with such beauty. But I've always ended up with a nice final producty.

But it got hot here today. I hated the work I was doing on the truck. I got stuck in the cab 'cause the door latch wanted to jam.

I drove that pig up on the hill. She needs to rest up there for a while. I used Stabil and will pull the brand new battery sometime during the next week.

I'm gonna pay attention to the '83....which I love less than 60-66 or 67-72. But she runs, sounds good with the new 350, cam, and 40 Flowmasters. And has air conditioning.

I'll watch you guys with a great deal of pleasure and focus on my guitar playing for the summer.

Thanks for the fun. Thanks for the tips. And have a good time.....
Attached Images

But always a rat.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:45 PM   #32
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Magwa:

Don't give up now...you are well on your way. Maybe a few days on the hill and you will grow more fond of the '63! Either way, thanks for sharing your project with us.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:37 PM   #33
magwakeenercew2jh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILRED66 View Post
Magwa:

Maybe a few days on the hill and you will grow more fond of the '63! Either way, thanks for sharing your project with us.
Thanks, Tony.

You never know. I've put a few projects off on the '83 to work on the '63. It's a pretty good life that allows the time to do work on either.

Once I finish the other projects, unless I decide to buy something a little closer to "fixable" with my limited skills (not likely considering budgets these days), I'll probably get back into the '63.

But like someone here says, "never crushed....."

I appreciate the thought. I HATE the rust.....(yeah, yeah, I know...."Candy a$$ed West Coaster don't know from rust" )
But always a rat.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:16 AM   #34
aboz

Hey Bill...wanted to make sure you still need the hood spring. I'm shipping it out today. I haven't gotten to the other one in the parts yard but I've cleaned the rust off the one and sprayed on some rust converter. Don't sweat the shipping cost, it shouldn't be more than a coupple of dollars. All I ask is that you give me first dibs on that four speed when you decide to get rid of it. My three speed Saginaw is still causing me to use too much fuel on the highway. Keep up the good work.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:36 AM   #35
magwakeenercew2jh

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboz View Post
Hey Bill...wanted to make sure you still need the hood spring. I'm shipping it out today.
Thanks. I got the hood working, but am using a funky spring. That will help when I get my "stride" back.

First shot at the tranny is yours. No question about it. Thanks again.
But always a rat.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:34 AM   #36
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Bill:

Remember: "Inch by Inch, Life is a Cinch...Yard by Yard, Life is Hard".
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:12 PM   #37
daverod
SSN 706

That's to funny. I give ya a week and you'll be back at it.
daverod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:53 PM   #38
monolith
Zero Albedo

If all else fails and you're just still too frustrated with the project, you may be able to cash in on some of that elbow grease you've already put into it- sell the truck to someone who wants a longbed and start a "shortbed" fund with the profit. You may be able to find one that needs less work.

"Deserve's got nothin' to do with it."

66 GMC 1500 wideside longbed 250 4spd "Project Rekker"http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=467467
65 GMC 1Ton Panelhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...32#post4794432
65 Chevy Panel (former U.S.Navy truck)
64 Chevy Suburban Carryall 4x4http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=358348
64 GMC 1000 wideside longbed 305 4spdhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=3600890(Rip- parts truck now)
68 Dodge Charger
monolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:44 PM   #39
aboz

Hey Bill, I finally mailed the hood spring yesterday. Sorry for the delay. Maybe installing it will get you back in the swing of things. I must say your three tone primer paint job is inspiring. Mine is just two tones of dull gray. I can see you adding some offset racing stripes in gray primer through that red hood of yours. Just a thought. Keep the faith!
Old 05-01-2009, 08:38 AM   #40
aboz

Greetings Bill. That spring should be in your hands today if it hasn't already reached you. Keep us in the loop on the restore. Aboz.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:04 PM   #41
magwakeenercew2jh

Quote:
Greetings Bill. That spring should be in your hands today if it hasn't already reached you. Keep us in the loop on the restore. Aboz.
Right on the money, Aboz. Came today (Friday, 5/1). I really appreciate your generosity. And, guess what? If that truck comes back off the hill this weekend, you had as much to do with it as I did!!

Thanks again.
But always a rat.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:51 PM   #42
aboz

Glad to be of service. Looks like I've got my work cut out for me as well. I found a 1960 Apache in the parts yard...hence your hood spring...and it had the rare big back glass! Cut several feet of surrounding sheet metal and paid $40. So what's a few busted knuckels?! Total deal in my opinion. The inner fender panels were in better shape than mine and only cost me $13.50 each so I'm having them sand blasted and powder coated the same silver as my 60 grille. The tail gate I purchased from my new truck buddy 1Bad62 is being sand blasted and powder coated in a paintable primer. New floor pans, door sills and cab corners are mocking me from my garage! The '62 hood I also got from 1Bad is about to sport a custom steel 427 Stinger hood scoop and spear a la '67 Sting Ray. I'll post pics as the work progresses.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:28 PM   #43
magwakeenercew2jh

Quote:
..... I'll post pics as the work progresses.
Love to see them.
But always a rat.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:40 PM   #44
daverod
SSN 706

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverod View Post
That's to funny. I give ya a week and you'll be back at it.
Damn, you were'nt kiddin. Proved me wrong. Kinda miss the guy. Him and all his cat piss stories

Last edited by daverod; 08-20-2009 at 07:41 PM.
daverod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:01 PM   #45
magwakeenercew2jh

I'm still around. Old truck and old gear-head will never die, I guess. Just had a ton of other things working these days. Hell, I'm retired. I don't know how I ever had time before to have a job. I'll be talking to you guys. Cat piss smell is almost gone. When it's ALL GONE, maybe it'll be time to crank it up again.
But always a rat.