The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2009, 12:14 PM   #26
cableguy0

Re: NEED HELP!! Cam button vs Aluminum Cover

its just a static fit type seal. it doesnt make a lot of contact with the dampner. i have that same dampner but no issues. stock cover. just to clear things up. your saying the seal isnt tight in the cover itself? it will 100% leak from there and allow the seal to walk on the balancer. it should be really tight in the cover itself.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #27
6600DURAMAX

That is correct, I can push the seal all the way in (which is not flush with the outside) and then pull the seal out with my hand. That was the seal that was in, the brand new seal I bought yesterday is a little tighter, I push it in but I cannot pull it out. Probably not a good sign if I can push it all the way in?

Sounds like I should just order a new Cloyes cover, hopefully it will provide a better fit for the seal.

1971 CREWMAX Build.....at body shop for couple more years
6600DURAMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:56 PM   #28
cableguy0

nope the seal should have to be press or beat in. its gonna keep leaking. eventually the seal will just walk out from the spinning of the balancer and dump oil out like you pulled the drain plug. i wouldnt trust that thing.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:18 PM   #29
6600DURAMAX

Ordered a Cloyes Cover, Hopefully the seal fits tighter in it!!

Old 10-07-2009, 02:33 AM   #30
chevybuldr

The one piece pan gaskets for the BBC are a pain in the butt. You have to be patient on them. I wont use them. The main reason is because the timing cover does not have a groove for the gasket to go into. You tighten in down and it pops back out. I like the old school 4 piece. Kinda why check changed on the gen V and VI with the timing cover. You could put some silicone on the cover and then put your gasket on and just sinch in down while it dries and then come back the next day and tighten it all the way and hope I guess.
chevybuldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:25 AM   #31
6600DURAMAX

I agree, it is not the best design. I am sure I over tightened the gasket the first time I did it. I will be alot more cautious this time around.

The wife is pretty upset that 8 months of work resulted in her garage being taken back by this little issue.