The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 01:29 PM   #26
chicklin

Re: What's the deal with lowering trucks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTucker View Post
seriously? you wouldn't mod a car/truck just to make it look good? I doubt that.
You're generalizing. I didn't say I wouldn't mod a car for looks, I'm just saying I wouldn't go for that particular style, i.e. "bling bling", which to me implies a certain look.

Again, it's just a matter of preference. All I wanted to know is what provoked that particular style because I didn't understand it. Whether or not I care for it is not the point.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:16 PM   #27
Bigblue29
Thanks 'til you're better paid

I like 'em low if they are 2wd. Just looks good to me. This is my DD and It gets worked too!

Now my Jeep on the other hand is going UP! Cause that what you do with Jeeps! Its all personal preference I guess. Because, I can certainly appreciate a nice looking lifted truck.

1950 Chevy AD 3100 pickup
2000 GMC Sierra

1970 Jeepster Commando
Old 05-21-2009, 03:00 PM   #28
1-ton of fun
polishing a turd

i am lowering mine to make it handle better. lower ride height means a lower center of gravity which in turn translates into less body roll as previously stated. i am also going to be running 650 #/in. springs to help in the handling department.

low trucks aren't just for show, btw:

53 buick special - straight 8 sled - blow through turbo
47 gmc - flatbed hot rod build
99 ford econoline e350 - 4x4 converted family roadtrip/overlanding rig AKA 'Monstervan' AKA 'Daddy-Van'
Old 05-21-2009, 04:16 PM   #29
cajundragger

well I dont understand why you'd lift a truck.

hm.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:48 PM   #30
BIG CHEVY 3600
BIG CHEVY 3600 LONGBOX

It is all like the women putting on makeup to get that "Glamor Shot" look and never seem to satisfy themselves. Just a little more eye shadow and lip gloss. LOL

http://s729.photobucket.com/albums/w...cpZZ3QQtppZZ20
Old 05-21-2009, 05:32 PM   #31
chicklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajundragger View Post
well I dont understand why you'd lift a truck.

hm.
Although people do some stupid things with them now, there was and still is a purpose to body/suspension lifting a truck. It's to gain more clearance and to be able to run larger tires, both of which will improve off-road capability.

I don't get the impression that the guys lowering their trucks are doing much racing, but I could be wrong. Doesn't matter, though, it's their truck.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:47 PM   #32
GRIMSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicklin View Post
It's to gain more clearance and to be able to run larger tires, both of which will improve off-road capability.
But why? Over 90% of the truck in my rural area that are lifted never have or will see any off-roading. They do it just for looks. My lowered truck sees more mud than many of the guys in my area that have lifted trucks.
1968 Camaro
1968 Volksrod "NOBACK"

55-59 one piece window Video
55-59 one piece window template files
Jared
Old 05-21-2009, 07:21 PM   #33
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Well I for one do build a car for looks. I brought and built my 55 Sedan because I like they why it looked. Its still not low enough for my taste so it will be getting lower. I'm building a TaskForce Truck because I like the way they look. I lower my cars simply for the look. I'd be lying if I say I did it for any other reason. I like the way it looks. That is not say I have not seen stock trucks look good, but I'm a rodder and its got to be low and mean. With an engine that will scare your grandma.

Last edited by Kabwe; 05-21-2009 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:34 PM   #34
chicklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIMSS View Post
But why? Over 90% of the truck in my rural area that are lifted never have or will see any off-roading. They do it just for looks. My lowered truck sees more mud than many of the guys in my area that have lifted trucks.
Want my opinion? It's stupid. I think a jacked-up chrome-covered 4x4 looks just as ridiculous as a 2wd pickup "laying frame", or whatever it's called. But that's just me. I see you're from Central Missouri, so I know you've seen some ridiculous examples of the former. I've never understood that, either.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:48 PM   #35
cajundragger

Quote:
Although people do some stupid things with them now, there was and still is a purpose to body/suspension lifting a truck. It's to gain more clearance and to be able to run larger tires, both of which will improve off-road capability.

I don't get the impression that the guys lowering their trucks are doing much racing, but I could be wrong. Doesn't matter, though, it's their truck.
so I lower my truck to loose clearance and gain handling, I bagged to run big wheels, which also improves handling by having a small sidewall. I like the way it looks, and it is fast as hell in any perspective.

and since you think its ridiculous, enjoy

Old 05-21-2009, 11:31 PM   #36
pbeguy

We do it to be different.
We do it cause it can't be done.
We do it cause we do it.
Don't matter why, It is my style.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:40 PM   #37
Kim57

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajundragger View Post
so I lower my truck to loose clearance and gain handling, I bagged to run big wheels, which also improves handling by having a small sidewall. I like the way it looks, and it is fast as hell in any perspective.

and since you think its ridiculous, enjoy

Nice truck.
Kim
Old 05-21-2009, 11:52 PM   #38
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

cajundragger,

I love the clear headlights where you get them.lol

Nice truck canjundragger.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:55 PM   #39
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Not everyone is going down, I raised mine! see pic at left
Decided to change the photo to before shot so my original comment does not make sense...
Old 05-22-2009, 09:58 AM   #40
kulturekat

this debate is never gonna change its like which is better ford or chevy of course everyone here is gonna say chevy but that like this debate is a product of opinion. everyone has their case to why whichever side they choose is better.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=402562

1955 ford f-100
1968 ford mustang
1966 ford mustang
Old 05-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #41
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Guys this has been an ongoing debate for many years. Everyone is entitled to express their opinion and that is what our forum is for.

You are NOT allowed to express your opinion if it becomes insulting. Using words such as stupid, ridiculous, etc will result in the thread being locked, and infractions issued. Play nice, or let it go.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 05-22-2009 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:49 AM   #42
CAL 58 GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
Well I think it’s just a matter of personal taste, and people gravitate to others that share their basic interest, which on this site is a Chevy truck. We seem to have all kinds of builds, but mostly modified and low. Being from California I can’t help but like things low and mean, but I respect anybody who restores, modify, or rods a classic car or truck. I know the work and headache and heartaches that go into it. I think we have the coolest site of all because most of us are here to help and encourage no matter what kind or truck you are building. I don’t find too many people especially in the 47-59 forum who are as rude and opinionated as you will find on other sites. Most of us have become internet pals who keep each other motivated and are happy when others accomplish their goals. Read Cal 58 GMC build page and check the encouragement, well wishes, and happiness when he made the cover of magazine and was in a calendar. See the disappointment when someone has to sell their project. Check out how we try to help when others have questions. I have been to sites that would not like what I’m doing to my truck because I like billet, and they don’t. I still like a lot of their rides, and can learn from them, I just learn from them and move on. Then there are sites that are for stock people.
So my point is, it does not matter what kind of truck you are building, we are all willing to help, and we love pics.
Well said Kabwe, this is one of the best sites on the net if you like or dislike lower trucks this is the best site for help and to make some good friends!

Last edited by CAL 58 GMC; 05-22-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:49 AM   #43
Skirkpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulturekat View Post
this debate is never gonna change its like which is better ford or chevy of course everyone here is gonna say chevy but that like this debate is a product of opinion. everyone has their case to why whichever side they choose is better.
WELL, since you brought it up? I personally find the NEW chevy trucks offensive to look at, and am not real impressed with much else that they have put out lately, that said, I do Love my vintage Chevy's and as far as stance goes, It is a matter of taste, some good some bad, I live in K.C. and if everyone here drove a white truck/car with a stock stance and grey interior, I would chew my head off at the neck!!! I detest people who have no originality, if you want to be the same as everyone else, fine, but please stand over there (in the suburbs, in your cookie cutter cracker box) so I am not associated with you. And that includes customs, Chip Foose, Rads By Troy, Etc. I love Touqe thrusts, untill everyone else has them on their cars, Wanna be different, build a car with 14's on it again (but it can't be Crager SS's) Do somerthing that isn't overplayed, PLEASE! I like lowered, I like raised, I like cars. I really like your car that reflects your personality, as long as it does not look just like mine, or theirs, C'mon people use your heads. Make it your own!!!! Sorry to rant, To much good Coffee, I, I truly appologize, kind of.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:07 AM   #44
MrTucker

Quote:
Want my opinion? It's stupid. I think a jacked-up chrome-covered 4x4 looks just as ridiculous as a 2wd pickup "laying frame", or whatever it's called. But that's just me. I see you're from Central Missouri, so I know you've seen some ridiculous examples of the former. I've never understood that, either.
Let's summarize your "enlightening" comments:

if you lower a truck - it's rediculous.
if you lift a truck - it's stupid.

so unless your truck is bone stock, and looks like everyone else's - it's stupid??

wow...

Last edited by MrTucker; 05-22-2009 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:56 PM   #45
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Well I look at it this way. People have a right to dislike my truck I did not build it for them. I built it for the things I like. If I don't like something I have no comment because I don't want to offend anyone. It takes all kinds to make the world go round. I don't want everybody's ride to look like mine. That's just boring. I'm not into carbon copy cars and trucks, if I was I would be into new cars. I love riding down the street and nothing looks quite like mine. There's no rule on how to build your ride. Build what ever you like, its your ride you must enjoy it. I will never understand people who get upset at what other people do with their cars. I have seen cars and thought "what was he thinking" but then I think I hope he likes it.lol As for me I will keep lowering my rides, and cruising because that's what I do. Those of you, that like them any other way thats cool do what you do. That does not mean we can't talk about cars and trucks and have a good time. I just love vintage American metal, thats my sickness.

Last edited by Kabwe; 05-22-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:11 PM   #46
robin58

Who knows what these trucks would have looked like if the suspensions we are putting on them these days had been available when they were designed.

For the most part those lowering them are replacing the stock solid axle and leafsprings with a far better handling suspension.

It's all relative to what was available at the time, what was cost-effective maximizing their profits and what would generate the most sales.

The same still applies today. The advantage just is that these days there are tons of aftermarket suppliers who have access to CAD programs not around in the 50's that allow the safe design of suspension systems that can personalize your truck to what you want to do with it.

I'd still hazard a guess that if the AD truck designers had access to lower profile radial tires, independent front and rear suspensions, etc they would have happily used them.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:43 PM   #47
OrrieG

You also have to remember that at the time these truck were new most of the country was still rural with dirt or gravel roads. They were designed with clearance to go out into fields, along muddy rutted roads, etc. The GMC and Cameos was a nicer model for the gentleman farmers and ranchers. I doubt they would have been much lower, the elcaminos and rancheros were the answer to that need. Me I like just about anything that rolls and respect the work and passion that people put into their rigs, high, low, truck, muscle, ricer, sport car, customs or what ever. Only thing that I find a little odd are the donks and some of the japanese star wars van things.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:21 AM   #48
stevehsd

Quote:
What's the obsession with making these trucks into low riders? Where does that fad come from? I don't have a problem with guys doing whatever they want to their trucks or anything, I just don't see what the point is. When I came across this site, I never expected to see the majority of the threads with pictures of lowered trucks. Can someone enlighten this Missouri redneck?
My Obsession: I'm somewhere in the middle of low rider and redneck.
I don't think it's a fad.
Lowrider

lowered truck

Redneck

enlightenment=you may want to visit stovebolt , stay away from the Hamb

77 FLH
Old 05-23-2009, 11:48 AM   #49
mr48chev

I think Kabwe's first answer is probably the best answer that I have seen for the reason folks like to play with cars and trucks.

As far as lowering, that has been going on in one form or another since cars were first built. The American Underslung was a factory built car in 1910 that was built to be low http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z...nderslung.aspx that means that the concept of low vehicles has been around for a hundred years or more.
When I was a kid there were several 53/56 F-100 trucks with dropped axles running around my area that sat low plus a few Chevrolet trucks that were lowered.
My dad and his running buddy Lyle Browning built a 28 Chev underslung in the late 30's that was probably the great grandfather of all rat rods but it was a pretty cool effort for a couple of small town teenagers on very tight budgets. From the couple of photos I saw and will try to find it sat pretty low for the time. His 41 Ford Convertable was also lowered a bit in 1946 when I was born. He had a 57 Olds Super 88 with a J-2 in it that was lowered when he got it. I sure wish I had that one now.
As some others mentioned a lot of how cars and trucks are done up is/was regional. The guys who live where cruising on the streets is the more prevelant activity probably tend to run lowered vehicles more then lifted ones. If you live in an area where there is lots of offroad activity and areas you can do that in (as where I live) you tend to see more lifted 4x4 rigs.
i
Old 05-23-2009, 10:12 PM   #50
cajundragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
cajundragger,

I love the clear headlights where you get them.lol

Nice truck canjundragger.
same place I ordered my windshield
Closed Thread