The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-07-2009, 11:03 AM   #26
BigSix302

Re: Bolt in junkyard IFS

There is a fella by the name of Scott Danforth I think that has engineered up a cross member using S10 and/or G-body suspension components. I have not seen one in person but some of the info on the treads seems to be promising. I know also he has some of the units in stock and has a fair amount of time and money tied up in the project. I think he is asking a fair price considered some of the other option available out there. I bet he would be glad to visit with anyone interested in his cross member. Here is a link to the information Scott has over on the Bolt. You might take a look and weigh in the differences. Food for thought!!

http://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/...344#Post338344

Last edited by BigSix302; 06-07-2009 at 11:03 AM.
BigSix302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:54 PM   #27
code4

I installed one on my project. I narrowed it 1.5 inches & it looks OK. But the power steering box was a ton of work to get it right. In fact I still don't think it is positioned just right. And I don't think it is stong enough, I ditched the whole thing. If anyone is in montana they can have it.
code4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:08 AM   #28
capev86

hey......these trucks had manual steering from the factory. i'd just keep that big stock steering wheel and run with it without power!
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:23 PM   #29
docrock

this is a great thread. my build is a 54 GMC and I am using an extended cab 1993 silverado chassis. instead of measuring from outer wheel toouter wheel i measured from backing plate to backing plate. the rear was 1 inch wider and the front is 2 inches wider.
with an offset wheel at 4 inches i am at the fender edge. the late model chassis has its problems, i am reworking the fender openings to center the wheels because the steering box needs an 1 1/2 more inches then stock. but ride height is 2 inches lower then stock without flipping the rear axle. if i flip the axle i'll drop the rear 5 inches.
docrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:37 PM   #30
Atomsplitter

USE THE SEARCH OPTION.

Sorry but we all have our preferences, opinions and budget and everyones vision of what they want their to look like is different. For those that have just joined the forum or recently purchased one of these trucks using the search option at the top of the forum will get page after page of useful information on this very subject. At least once a month this argument rears its ugly head and we go round and round.

Search, learn & decide.......for yourself!

Yes, I have a MII but I also have friends with the S10, Pacer, C10 and one with a Camaro clip. They all work and they all chose those options based on information they learned from the internet, not someone elses opinion.
Sorry bad day.....

Last edited by Atomsplitter; 06-28-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Atomsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:47 PM   #31
flaviohotrods63

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobileortho View Post
Here's a better shot of the '79 IFS installed.

hello friend
first congratulate you for its 3100
cool and daring project, I have a 3100 also (is referred to here as a 63 chevrolet Brazil) the chassis is basically the same as the 3100 U.S. and I'm adjusting the front suspension of 1979 c10 like her, however I have some doubts, the alley central was not its very close to the ground? you reinforced the chassis? have more photos of your project to send me? stay in the waiting
hugs
flaviohotrods63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:26 AM   #32
booger1949

no matter what u use r dont use its yours an u did it yourself, an that says something, all these shows i go to its amazin of the vehicles that r store bought, i also am buildin a ad truck but i went the 81 malibu sub frame way, i cant afford the store bought stuff so im doin it the poor mans way, yeah its been alot of work but i take pride in tellin somebody that i built my truck with sweat,blood, an tears. how many people at these shows can say that? most people dont ahve deep pockets, so just make sure its more than safe
booger1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:52 PM   #33
mobileortho

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaviohotrods63 View Post
hello friend
first congratulate you for its 3100
cool and daring project, I have a 3100 also (is referred to here as a 63 chevrolet Brazil) the chassis is basically the same as the 3100 U.S. and I'm adjusting the front suspension of 1979 c10 like her, however I have some doubts, the alley central was not its very close to the ground? you reinforced the chassis? have more photos of your project to send me? stay in the waiting
hugs
Thanks for the compliment. The frame did not require any reinforcement. The lowered stance is the result of a combination of drop spindles & cut coils which does bring the crossmember closs to the ground (about 6") but I haven't had any clearance issues. You can find all the photos on my webshots link in my signature block. Hope this helps.

1950 3600
3600 re-do, shortening it up

If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.
mobileortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:59 PM   #34
jcf54 3600

Hi 1st post on here hope I don't goof it up! And I'm gonna jump right in on a hot one! I'm helping a friend do his 51 3600 chevy. Total restomod and he opted for a weld in m2 its from jw rod garage. Very nice! And he is going big block powered also. I have a 54 3600 that's all done for 10 years now but it's time for an upgrade away from stock. My pockets aren't as deep so I'm planning on a 75 c10 ifs. I have the skills,knowledge, and shop to do all the narrowing and lowering of it. Along with a camaro 12 bolt on leaf springs for the rear. I'm also gonna do a nonpower rack and pinion with nonpower disk front drum rear brakes. I don't want it all that low and I like to build my stuff not buy it from catalogs. I've seen several of these trucks done this way and liked them all. I think as long as you aren't going for that slammed on the ground look this is the way to go. I really like that black 50 3600 on here but was wondering why he didn't do a rack and pinion?
jcf54 3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:21 PM   #35
Donaldo

RobertC, thanks for posting and the build site pics. my '51 3100 has the '82 1/2 ton front end welded in by the previous owner, it does sit a bit high and wide, settled down a lot with the motor and trans bolted in tho - I am about ready for wheels and am wondering what the rim setback is that you used....
Donaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:41 PM   #36
jcf54 3600

Oh ya good question donaldo! I was hoping to be able to use some original 15 by 8 corvette rally wheels I got around here.always liked those! Gonna have to get 5on4 3/4 rotors for the truck front end though.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:14 PM   #37
nikwho

If you wander into the 60-66 section of the forum, there are guys that are notching their frames to allow these square body crossmembers to sit up higher. Might work for you. Remember, the square bodies are about 6 inches wider than your truck! Thats a big difference. Would probably want to narrow the crossmember.

Nik
Old 01-30-2014, 12:00 AM   #38
jcf54 3600

Thanks nik. Going to narrow it and maybe notch it in sideways. Not concerned about the height to much don't care for that slammed low look
Old 01-30-2014, 08:46 AM   #39
shrek55

Speedway makes a bolt in MII subframe--- And an awesome bolt in triangulated 4 link 9 inch F*** rear.
shrek55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:36 PM   #40
jcf54 3600

Thanks shrek 55. Got all the stuff to keep it a Chevy truck on the front end. Not a big fan of m2 stuff they get the truck too low for me. And they seem a little wimpy also. I got a name brand one in my 50 Chevy 2 door sedan and its not always up to the task.bushings and ball joints don't last!
Old 01-30-2014, 03:46 PM   #41
mobileortho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donaldo View Post
RobertC, thanks for posting and the build site pics. my '51 3100 has the '82 1/2 ton front end welded in by the previous owner, it does sit a bit high and wide, settled down a lot with the motor and trans bolted in tho - I am about ready for wheels and am wondering what the rim setback is that you used....
I'm using 17 x 7 Torq Thrust II's with the standard 4.5" backspace & 225 60 tires. My build pics are nolonger on Webshots, I moved them to Flickr.

I've got a buddy on another site that also narrowed his control arms to pull the wheel in even vurther. You can see his pic here. He also added rack & pinion to this setup.

1950 3600

Old 01-30-2014, 04:12 PM   #42
jcf54 3600

Awesome Robert ! That's what I'm talking about! Thanks for the wheel info too! I see he also notched it up in the frame. Very nice! I'm all over that! What rack did he use?
Old 01-30-2014, 11:31 PM   #43
G&R's57GMC

AMC Pacer has a bolt in front suspension that would be a lot closer fit for the AD.
'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:17 PM   #44
jcf54 3600

Nice looking truck g&r. The pacer stuff fits but its still a car front end and a wimpy one at that! And here in wis.where those things were made we've got 3feet of snow on the ground right now and they put tons of salt on the roads every winter. I haven't seen a pacer in a junkyard in 25 years! And if you asked for parts for one at a store the kid would look at me like I'm from mars!
Old 02-02-2014, 07:46 PM   #45
classicthrasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobileortho View Post
I've got a buddy on another site that also narrowed his control arms to pull the wheel in even vurther. You can see his pic here. He also added rack & pinion to this setup.
Hello,
1st post. I've been lurking build pages for a couple months as a guest, though. Mobileortho, how would i go about contacting Neals49. He lives about 30 miles from me and I have some questions for him about narrowing the arms of the IFS.
Don't have a signature done yet, but I have a 49 Chevy 3600 that is going to stay 3/4 ton with the 8 bolt wheels. I'll start a build thread once I get it to my house and start tearing down.
Thanks
Theron
classicthrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:58 PM   #46
brikar

Had the C-10 front end in my 54 back in the 80's drove it every day and the first couple of years it had no power steering,that suspension in my opinion worked just fine at the time,made a few trips threw the rocky's from alberta to B.C 1300 miles round trip,only issue i ever had was the stock C 10 steering linkage that i used had to much angle and it would wear out fast, replaced it as soon as i seen the rubber boot ripped.But if you want it down low its to wide and even with the proper offset rims they would still hit the fenders on a AD,unless you chop it and narrow it.

here's a picture of it stock hight with the C 10 back in 1982
Attached Images

brikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:59 PM   #47
spikey

Jag IFS??

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...1&postcount=10
spikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:19 PM   #48
jcf54 3600

Hmm pretty cool but still car stuff. Can't be a lot of those in junk yards on this side of the pond? And a rear steer rack. Not sure but I'm thinking a front steer rack would of been easier to poke through the header etc. Was the width of it correct or was there mods to be done first?
Old 02-03-2014, 03:20 PM   #49
mobileortho

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicthrasher View Post
Hello,
1st post. I've been lurking build pages for a couple months as a guest, though. Mobileortho, how would i go about contacting Neals49. He lives about 30 miles from me and I have some questions for him about narrowing the arms of the IFS.
Don't have a signature done yet, but I have a 49 Chevy 3600 that is going to stay 3/4 ton with the 8 bolt wheels. I'll start a build thread once I get it to my house and start tearing down.
Thanks
Theron
PM me your contact info, I'll forward it to him.

1950 3600

Old 02-03-2014, 03:25 PM   #50
mr48chev

A very old thread to begin with but one thing one must remember is that if you narrow the crossmember to get the wheels inside the fenders you negate the bolt on factor and end up having to hack the frame to get things to fit. They seem to work good on trucks that aren't going to be lowered or run wide rims and tires.

I think that the rack fits in front of most headers on that setup on an AD truck.
There are a number of front wheel drive rack and pinions that are rear steer setups to pick from.

I've got a 51 Chev 1-1/2 ton out in the back yard that I keep looking at and thinking that a mid 70's 3/4 or 1 ton independent suspension and rear suspension and rear axle under to have a truck I can drive on a regular basis. The big fenders would clear the wider stance pretty easily from what I can figure out.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote