The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-17-2009, 04:25 PM   #26
mr48chev

Re: Advice on getting rid of my 69(forgive the story)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post
Question...does the title go with the frame or cab? Or...is it a state by state regulation? Also...could a person just go and apply for a lost replacement title. Just some ideas. Good Luck 69Rob with your quest.

The serial number is on both. The prudent and legal thing to do would be to buy a parts truck with legal title that either has a good cab or good frame (or both ) and use That component and then apply for a rebuilt title.

One thing, were there any old registration papers in the truck when you got it or license plates on it or other indications of who might have owned it, at least at one time.
I had to track down the person who last owned one vehicle about 20 years ago when someone came along and offered way more then I had in it or thought it was worth. When I got it I wasn't worried about a title because I was going to strip it an then cut the rest up and haul it for . I had to jump through a few flaming hoops to do it but I did get ahold of the last person who the truck had been registered to and get a signed and notorized release of interest. It turned out that they had sold it as a parts car a few years before with the title and the title got lost somewhere when it changed hands several times after that.

If you do that don't mention that you have put a bunch of money and new parts in it or someone might just show up to claim "Dad's old truck" with title in hand and the Sheriff along for the ride.

I'll be honest, the way things go now, I wouldn't spend a nickle on any truck that I bought or was given that didn't have a title in my name unleouss I could get proof positive that I owned it. Either by a signed release of interest, bill of sale from a wrecking yard or auction or other documentation.

You probably have already but if you haven't and there are papers in the glove box or in other places in the truck sort through them and see if the title might be mixed in with them.
I was just in the middle of cutting up an 86 S-10 Blazer when the glove box popped open and out fell a stack of papers. Right in the big middle of them was a signed title for the Blazer that the guy who had given it to me said had no title.

I should have put this piece up first=
In this state and most others you can apply for a bonded title. That is,you have the truck inspected by who ever inspects vehicles in that state (usually somone connected with the State Patrol). If everything checks out (meaning it wasn't reported stolen) you then apply for a bonded title that will become a clear title in X amount of them if no one shows up to contest the bonded title. Once I had it to a point of where it could pass inspecton and run and drive that is what I would do if it were me.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:33 PM   #27
mr48chev

It may not be all that hard.
http://www.ask.com/bar?q=Texas+bonde...s%2Fbonded.htm

The info on getting a Bonded title in Texas is there.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:45 PM   #28
rustyescott

69 rob can you contact me offlist rustyescott@yahoo.com or call me i can help with tihs problem rusty
rustyescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:45 PM   #29
rustyescott

sorry forgot phone # 817 915 6679
rustyescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:52 PM   #30
jay6891
Car Knocker

I know that when I bought a 1980 model Camaro with no title in Texas. I just took a rubbing of the VIN to the State and they ran a Title search. Didnt have to pay anything until they issued me one. Took serval months, but no big deal. They will sell you a temp tag, (paper) for 30 days for 25 dollars if you want to drive it. Well that was the price then.
68 c-10,91 sportside bed,350 .030 over,4 bolt,10-1 comp,2.05 intake/1.94 exhaust,1.6 Harland Sharp roller rockers,edelbrock rpm cam and intake w/750 carb, 700r4, 3.73 gears,Jacabbs Electronic Igntion w/Accel HEI distributer and super coil. ZR-1 roll pan, filled tailights. Blazer tank. Hidden hitch. 2 1/2" Flowmaster 40's. Parts bought but not installed>> ford 9" posi with disc. CCP front and rear lowering kit 4/5. Cab corners,foor boards,rockers, cab braces, Phatom grill, Painless wiring kit.
jay6891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:42 PM   #31
big mike71

It sounds like he bought the truck from a shady character if you ask me to much, I'll get you a title, I know someone who can get you one that's B.S. I would take all my stuff off of it before I let any officials look at it. imo
big mike71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:05 PM   #32
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

You can do the bonded title but the bond won't fall off for 2-3 years. You'll need a couple simple estimates of value from for example tote the note lots. These can be on the back of a business card. The cost of the bond will be something like 20% of the highest of the estimates.

I think there's a guy on chevelles.net that can do an out of state transfer or something. I seem to recall his uname is huff huff.

A power of attorney may work after a title search to locate the last legal owner unless they try to squeeze money out of you.

Good luck.
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:39 PM   #33
tim21391

id keep it because once u sell it or part it u will kick yourself i nthe teeth.. my dad did that when he was my age and sold his mustang now he wants it back so thats what id do
2013 Mustang V6/6speed w/300 ponies
I may be 23, but i sure do knows 67-72s are sexy!
Its not MPG its smiles per gallon!
build started 11/25/08
build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=2993796
tim21391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:00 PM   #34
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim21391 View Post
id keep it because once u sell it or part it u will kick yourself i nthe teeth.. my dad did that when he was my age and sold his mustang now he wants it back so thats what id do
I think the bigger issue is whether or not he legally owns it, or can even legally get title to it, rather than regretting selling it.

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:37 PM   #35
1956cameo

The best way for you to get a title in your situation is to get a bonded title. I have done this quite recently and it worked out fine. Get the guy who sold you the truck to give you a bill of sale including his name, the date sold, the amount sold for, and the vin of the vehicle. Then get a title company (I used Lawrence Auto Title) you can google that and their website will appear. They charge a $100, but it is worth it because they do all the grueling govt. paperwork. They will send you some forms to fill out. You will send them back. They will send you more forms. You will have to get a car dealership or an individual appraiser to appraise the vehicle (this is the hardest part of the ordeal) I towed my truck to the local chevy dealership and they appraised it for free. Then you will send them the appriaisal. Then they will write up the bond amount ($100 for a vehicle valued at around $4500 or less and $10 for every $1,000 in value after that) usually $100. Pay the bond amount and then they will send you all of the finished paperwork with the appraisal and the bond, and you take that to the DMV and the DMV will mail you the title. All in all the whole process from start to finish takes about 6 weeks and costs about $250 including the tax and title at the DMV.

This is really the only way to legally get the title. Also you cant get a lost title unless the vehicle was already titled in your name when the title was lost. The texas DMV website also says that using out of state title companies is considered fraud and could cause legal problems down the road. They say that if you buy a vehicle in Texas without a title the only way to legally get a title for it is by securing a bonded title. After three years if no one claims a lean on the vehicle under the bond you can turn the bonded title in and get a clear and free title. In the meantime the bonded title is a legitimate TX title that can be transferred if the vehicle is sold. Hope this helps.

Last edited by 1956cameo; 06-17-2009 at 10:41 PM.
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:05 PM   #36
69Rob

Ok thanx guys for all the info i found some one locally to get me a title so im going to keep my truck. They going to charge me $125 to hunt down the guy and do all the paper work for me and get me a title. if he cant found the guy he will get me a mechanic lean for $250. i really appreaciate yalls help
54 bel air
69Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:15 PM   #37
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

That's about much it costs me to swap titles and buy new tags after buying.. Killer price for all the work.
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:17 PM   #38
big mike71

Not to tell you what to do,but you better make sure it's not stolen. I know a guy whose truck stolen he forgot all about ten years it was found all fixed up way nicer then when he had it. The guy that fixed it up lost all his time and money the other got his truck.
big mike71 is offline   Reply With Quote