The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2017, 06:57 AM   #26
Boog
laying low

Re: CRAGAR S/S Wheels on 71-72? Bolt pattern specs?

2 1/2 dropped spindles and a 15x8" wide rally will usually get you wheel contact with the outer edges of the lower control arm when in turns. The stock 8" wide rallys are 4 or 4 1/4" back space. The aftermarket custom wheels 15x8" wide are quite often 3 5/8" back space to get that deep dish look we all like. Those might not scrub the lca. If so you can clearance the contact area by grinding the lip on the lca around the ball joint area. Just mount up the wheel and turn it full lock to lock and mark the lca at the contact area, grab your safety glasses and a grinder and get to it. No fear, it's done all the time.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:57 AM   #27
jocko

keep in mind the old cragar ss is not the same as the new cragar ss. The old ones, pictured above, look great and are classic - and the unilugs should fit fine. One word of caution on unilugs - make SURE to retighten new lugs in the first hundred miles or so. I was once passed on the highway by my own rear wheel at about 120 miles or so after the cragars were installed (by a shop with an impact). Once retightened a few times, no issues, but that was not a fun experience. Get true 5x5, not unilug, if you can. Personally, I don't think the new cragar ss wheels look very good - anything beyond a 15" ss just doesn't quite look like the oldie. Just my opinion. But I'd look for a classic 15" old cragar ss in 15x7 in the front and 15x8 in the back.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:45 AM   #28
70StepsideC10

Thanks for the replies so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
2 1/2 dropped spindles and a 15x8" wide rally will usually get you wheel contact with the outer edges of the lower control arm when in turns. The stock 8" wide rallys are 4 or 4 1/4" back space. The aftermarket custom wheels 15x8" wide are quite often 3 5/8" back space to get that deep dish look we all like. Those might not scrub the lca. If so you can clearance the contact area by grinding the lip on the lca around the ball joint area. Just mount up the wheel and turn it full lock to lock and mark the lca at the contact area, grab your safety glasses and a grinder and get to it. No fear, it's done all the time.

According to the Cragar website the 15x8 rims have a 4 1/4" backspace, so based on what you are saying seems like I will likely have rubbing issues. I know it's been done many times before, but grinding the LCA makes me nervous, seems like it would compromise the strength of the LCA. Any idea how much typically has to be taken off? Are we talking something small like 1/8", or more like 1/2" or 3/4" inch, or more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
keep in mind the old cragar ss is not the same as the new cragar ss. The old ones, pictured above, look great and are classic - and the unilugs should fit fine. One word of caution on unilugs - make SURE to retighten new lugs in the first hundred miles or so. I was once passed on the highway by my own rear wheel at about 120 miles or so after the cragars were installed (by a shop with an impact). Once retightened a few times, no issues, but that was not a fun experience. Get true 5x5, not unilug, if you can. Personally, I don't think the new cragar ss wheels look very good - anything beyond a 15" ss just doesn't quite look like the oldie. Just my opinion. But I'd look for a classic 15" old cragar ss in 15x7 in the front and 15x8 in the back.

I already have the rims, they came on the truck so unfortunately I'm stuck with what I have. I'm not quite sure if I have the unilug or the 5x5, I just got the truck last year and I haven't taken the wheels off for anything yet. Good advice on re-tightening the lug nuts, I will make sure to do that a few times.
70StepsideC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:30 PM   #29
jocko

You can identify unilug pattern by the bolt hole being elongated/stretched along a line drawn from the center outward - in other words, it fits a variety of 5 bolt bolt circle sizes.
If you have perfect circles for the holes, then you have a specific bolt pattern. Sorry, I was only pointing out something for the original poster who was still trying to choose - and some folks get the new cragars mixed up with the old ones, even though they almost look alike. If you like em, keep em, all I was trying to say was they don't scream old school to me like the ones pictured by so many folks. If it's on a lowered, modernized truck, might look just fine. Again, all that matters is what you like
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 01:45 PM   #30
mike1971c10

Here's my '71 with old style wheels. they're 15x5 and are 8" wide. I think it's a 4" drop using early classic dropped spindles I bought them from Summit . Part
number is crr-08865
mike
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2017, 08:43 PM   #31
70StepsideC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1971c10 View Post
Here's my '71 with old style wheels. they're 15x5 and are 8" wide. I think it's a 4" drop using early classic dropped spindles I bought them from Summit . Part
number is crr-08865
mike

Thanks for the info Mike. Those look like the same rims I have. Nice stance on your truck. With those rims with the 4 1/4" backspace did you have rubbing/clearance issues with the lower control arm and have to grind it down?
70StepsideC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 01:03 PM   #32
mike1971c10

70stepsidec10
With these wheel I don't have any rubbing problems. I took off Keystones that ha a 2.25 back space and the edge of the front tire stuck out pass the fender and would rub every time I hit a bump or a dip in the road
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2017, 09:31 AM   #33
fecklessgadfly

If you are dead set on Cragars, go for it. There are are few other options with the same look too. I've got an old set of Rocket Racing Wheels in that style that I am restoring. The company has come back and is making some pretty awesome wheels again. This style is called Fuel at their website. They come in a 5x5. Here's a link to see what they would look like on your truck.
Attached Images

2014 GMC Terrain I4 (wife's new ride)
2005 Dodge Magnum 3.5 (wife's old ride)
2003 GMC Sierra 5.3 Extended Cab
1972 Chevy Cheyenne 350
fecklessgadfly is offline   Reply With Quote