The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2009, 06:59 AM   #26
special-K
Special Order

Re: Pep Boys rant

The advance Auto Parts store in town has the biggest moron managing it.He is in his 50s and paid pretty well.I went to buy sway bar bushings and had to order them.after a month and three wasted trips that guy wasn`t there and a kid waited on me.He asked who I was dealing with,I toild him,he rolled his eyes and brought the other kids into our conversation.They said this guy was the biggest loser and not to bother ordering from him.The kid found my correct ones which cost more than I paid and hooked me up at the original price.The kids,one of them a girl,seem to be enthusiastic about what they do.It seems they must have grown up helping their dads or something.That`s how I was when I was a kid.i`d go to the machine shops,garages,and parts houses and they all took me under their wing.They were impressed about a boy that wanted to do his own stuff and had interest in learning.There may be less of that these days.but,i know i`ve mentored quite a few over the years and some are grown men now and better wrenches than me.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:02 AM   #27
BLACK AND BLUE 67-72
Firefighter

Talking Re: Pep Boys rant

Corn I agree!!! I have to deal with this everyday also!! Or they will tell you the entire history of the car or truck, when it has absolutely nothing to do with the part that they need.

Quote: Here's something to remember on your next trip to get parts.

Most systems first want to know what sort of part you need, not you blurting out all the vehicle info you can remember at 100mph. Then, it needs to know...year, make, model & a few other stupid details before it even gives you a list of parts that are sometimes in a different area of the e-book & you get to start all over again. Its a LIST of numbers, not pretty pictures that everyone thinks it is. We might not know exactly what it even looks like, remember its your car not ours. The customer is usaully talking the whole time about things that have nothing to do with what they are even after & can get very distracting, especially to a young kid that hasnt worked on many cars.

I got through to one of my customers the other day. He called wanting to know price & availability of a couple parts. I answer the phone & get this guy rattling off as much info, just as fast as he can (probably so he doesnt forget what he is working on) & hasnt even told me who he is yet. I need to know this to get an invoice started so I can get "his" price. I can hear him groan when I dont have the prices instantly(remember, he is better than me because Im a stupid parts guy). When I get to the info I need, I read it off to him at the same speed he did to me... He says "Geez, slow down, I can only write so fast"! I laughed & told him that I would say the same thing the next time he gives out vehicle info. He's no problem anymore. See, us stupid parts guys can rant with the best of them...
Yellville, Ar. USA

BLACK AND BLUE 67-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:09 AM   #28
cdowns

i'm lucky i guess the one in daytona has pretty good guys at the parts counter ,they've been a good source for me on a regular basis//the people that work on the floor now that's a different story, but they sweep the floor nice
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:45 AM   #29
MacAttack
283 Drama Queen

The Manny, Moe and Jack about 1.5 miles from my house was a regular Saturday afternoon hangout for me for many years. Reason: Pat. Same age group as me - late 50's - and knew how to read things like catalogs like an archaeologist reading Egyptian hieroglyphics.

He had a Rolodex with cards and contacts that spanned 30 years. And - he remembered what you were working on from weekend to weekend. He used the corporate computer system, but hated it with a passion.

Pat retired, so I'm forced to drive to an old school NAPA store 15 miles away.

Bummer.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:16 PM   #30
Hoods69BadBowTie
Chevys Kick A$$

Damn an hour for a new battery wow! Well at least they made it right that's good to hear. Glad I got friends that work at the Auto parts stores here in town!
-'86 K5 Blazer Silverado 6.2 4" lift 35"s
-'95 Ext. Cab Shorty 4" Tuff Country rolling 35" M/T's
-'83 Monte Carlo T-Tops. 126,500 Original Miles
-LATER
I would rather push a Chevy then drive a ford!!
Hoods69BadBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:05 PM   #31
mclairmo

I remember an old gray haired man at S&J Chevrolet when I was a kid in Cerritos CA that literally knew everything about Chevy's, even all the interchanges. Ford dealer had the same type of guys when I was building my Mustang in junior high and highschool. Where did they all go? Dead, retired, replaced? These guys were there when these cars were new. Man I miss them. They were not necessarily friendly or nice but they knew their sh!t.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote