The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-01-2009, 05:42 PM   #26
big mike71

Re: Need help ... Ebay ripoff

That's why I'm afraid of ebay pictures can make cars and trucks look way better than they are in person. If he has your money and the truck, maybe get the law involved. I would record any conversation you have with him.
big mike71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:37 PM   #27
mclairmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaschevy View Post
your best bet and i hope you paid this way is if you paid for the transaction via credit card through paypal. if you did dispute your credit card charge with your credit card company.
Their rules are 100 times in your favor over paypals and ebays. whoever said paypal is in your favor is wrong. Ebay and paypal are the same company and they do not want any money refunded as ebay will then loose the selling fees as well.

Your credit card company will issue an instant refund and of course paypal will do the same and lean your way as they know the credit card company is in your favor and so paypal will lean your way as well
Credit card company will not automatically issue a refund. They will contact payPal to verify and to investigate. Only if PayPal does not respond to the credit card company will you automatically get a refund. I agree that PayPal and Ebay are same and have seen both tell buyers to get lost, tough luck.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:42 PM   #28
Hammer500

Thanks guys,
I did get in contact with PayPal yesterday and file a dispute. I haven't heard from the seller again and if I don't by tomorrow I am upgrading the dispute to a claim. I am going to check Iowa law and see if I can get the law involved.

My cousin is a lawyer and is coming into town so he is going to check into some options for me. I guess I am learning the hard way, with internet buying you are effectively buying a "pig in a bag" but eBay claims that you have coverage when, in actual fact, you do not. The way the vehicle protection program works is that you may not neccesarily get a refund, but compensation to fix the problems.

The fact is I can get lots of trucks in Canada in this kind of shape. I was lead to believe that is was a relatively solid truck. There was rust coming through everywhere, more over spray on the interior than paint on the truck; there was so much body fill in the lower part of the box side they have to arch the lower moulding around it.

Are there any members near Davenport, Iowa that could take possesion if I had to get it out of there before a certain date?
Hammer500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:39 PM   #29
Richard8971
Still livin the "dream" in '54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer500 View Post
IT WAS REPAINTED APROX. 12 YEARS AGO.

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A $35,000 TRAILER QUEEN, THIS IS NOT THE TRUCK. IF YOU WANT A TRUCK THAT IS FUN TO DRIVE AND STILL TURNS HEADS EVERYWHERE IT GOES, THIS COULD BE YOUR TRUCK.

PAINT IS NOT PERFECT BUT STILL LOOKS NICE. I JUST HAVENT DROVE IT MUCH THE LAST 3 YEARS.
I really hope you can get this mess figured out with this seller. However whatever he may have said verbally about the condition of the truck is not something eBay can enforce. The description he posted on eBay leaves much to be desired and it sounds to me like the actual condition of the truck falls within the description he provided. His claim that it looks nice is based on HIS opinion, not anyone elses, unfortunately. He may actually believe it is a great looking and running truck, you don't know...

Unfortunately you bought the vehicle without inspecting it first, something I would never recommend. I agree with the majority of the other members here, go get your truck and hopefully you can get this sorted out. Mind you, I am not trying to side with the seller here, just stating that his description posted on eBay doesn't say anything about "no rust" or "recent restoration", which is what eBay is going to go off, not your verbal conversation with him about the condition of the truck. "Let the buyer beware" is still good advice today.

D

My '67 stepper "Tangerine Dream"

"Anything worth doing is worth doing right" James Dean

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo

Last edited by Richard8971; 08-02-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Richard8971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:48 PM   #30
Tater
Cradle Robber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer500 View Post

Are there any members near Davenport, Iowa that could take possesion if I had to get it out of there before a certain date?
I'm about an hour and a half away from Davenport,Ia if you need someone to get the truck for you.

"Hippies.They're everywhere.They wanna save the earth,but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad."Eric Cartman

"Think about how stupid the average person is,and realize half of them are stupider than that."George Carlin
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:01 PM   #31
screwballl
Tonawanda 454

1) ebay owns paypal, they are the same company.

2) their "protection services" are a joke.

3) paypal is not a registered nor official bank, it is an online business so therefore the rules of banks and lending institutions do not apply to it. If they say "tough, no refund", you may be out both a truck and the money with the only recourse being legal action which could cost you as much as you paid.

4) Never send full payment, always send a 5-10% down payment and the rest upon receipt of the vehicle. If it is not as described, ask for full refund of the down payment on the spot, if they refuse then take it to the authorities. Call 911 if you have to and ask for them to send out a trooper because a person is not giving you your money back.
-------------------
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:48 AM   #32
mclairmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard8971 View Post
I really hope you can get this mess figured out with this seller. However whatever he may have said verbally about the condition of the truck is not something eBay can enforce. The description he posted on eBay leaves much to be desired and it sounds to me like the actual condition of the truck falls within the description he provided. His claim that it looks nice is based on HIS opinion, not anyone elses, unfortunately. He may actually believe it is a great looking and running truck, you don't know...

Unfortunately you bought the vehicle without inspecting it first, something I would never recommend. I agree with the majority of the other members here, go get your truck and hopefully you can get this sorted out. Mind you, I am not trying to side with the seller here, just stating that his description posted on eBay doesn't say anything about "no rust" or "recent restoration", which is what eBay is going to go off, not your verbal conversation with him about the condition of the truck. "Let the buyer beware" is still good advice today.

D
Legally, the standard to be applied is the "reasonable person" standard. In other words, what would a reasonable person have believed after reading the written description. Also, any verbal assurances or representations he made to you could still be a factor. However, he will surely deny he said any of those good things to you and Ebay won't care anyway. I hope your cousin is an attorney in the United States b/c Canadian law can be very different. Also, please do not call 911 about this. I am fairly certain this does not qualify as an emergency. Work the Pay Pal people first and if that does not work, then have a local attorney in Iowa personally serve a demand letter. That should get the seller's attention.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:09 PM   #33
laplander

Hammer, have you gotten anywhere with Paypal or the seller yet?
laplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:59 AM   #34
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclairmo View Post
Credit card company will not automatically issue a refund. They will contact payPal to verify and to investigate. Only if PayPal does not respond to the credit card company will you automatically get a refund. I agree that PayPal and Ebay are same and have seen both tell buyers to get lost, tough luck.
your credit card will issue a 100% refund instantly... no matter what the card is. It later can be reversed however it is a 100% refund....
vegaschevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:46 AM   #35
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Davenport eh? I happen to have a strong well built 19 year old nephew there who has no fear.

as said earlier, we as board members, need to ask a local to inspect prior to purchase
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:23 AM   #36
Hammer500

Nope. Paypal has no insurance for anything bought through Ebay motors. When I contact them about it they allowed me make a claim and said I was covered but after a 2 week dispute it came back that I was not covered because they do not have any coverage for Ebay motors. So 2 weeks wasted.

So basically at the end of the day I got the run-around from both the customer service with Ebay and Paypal and when I talk with a supervisor all they are willing to do is apologize and say they will train their employees to know their policies better. Which doesn't help me too much. They are not willing to accept responsible for their employees. The more I learn they are not really very reputable businesses.

I did not use my credit card through pay pal because it was too much money and paypal wouldn't let. I haven't even got the vehicle yet because I was away for a month getting married then honeymoon/vacation and have been trying to make arrangements to get the vehicle out of there. I have a friend that is back and forth buying vehicles in the IN., IL. IA. area all the time but as luck would have it he hasn't had anything there in a while and is going to Denver Colorado this week.

A board member was going to pick it up for me but some personal issues came up and he was unable to get it. I would just like to get it out of the sellers possession right now as it has been a long time.

If anyone is in the area I have no trouble paying you to get it if you can store it for a couple of weeks. My buddy is working hard on getting a deal in the area so he can pick it up and then he has a couple ATVs in the Minnesota area that he will get on the way also.
Hammer500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:44 AM   #37
rambler
MOVE OVER

Hopefully, he hasn't clamed abandonment, and resold it, or has been charging you "storage" fees, and expects more money now..

I hope you get this resolved one way or the other...
Old 09-22-2009, 01:21 PM   #38
big_al_71

I hope that the truck is still in one piece and nothing has been changed to make it even worse..

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #39
diamondave

Sorry to hear about this Hammer... Wish I lived closer.....

4 years ago I had a run in with eBay/PayPal and it took 3 months to sort it out, now if I had the same thing happen to me today it wouldnt have worked out in my favor. EBay has changed... they dont stand by the buyers and sellers like they once did. Now they insist you do buisness with PayPal, which never had good customer service in its entire history. But still people do buisness with them, stories like these will continue....

Last edited by diamondave; 09-22-2009 at 02:29 PM.
diamondave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:37 PM   #40
71swb4x4

Have you tried contacting a lawyer in Davenport? Usually they can do all of the work for you even though you aren't there. Even if it costs you $1,000, at least you will get your $7,000 back.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:43 PM   #41
JerseyGirl
American Woman!

WOW! This is one for the books.
Dealing with buying & selling cars daily...people's descriptions of THEIR own vehicles are never right. It's never junk, it's always a nice car/truck..nothing really wrong with it...ridiculous!
I have learned NEVER EVER to buy a car/truck on eBay anymore. Pictures lie. I can make a ratty old caddy shine & look good in a pic. Most people take pics with crappy cameras first off..then they take pics 10-15ft away. Deceptive.
It's a totally screwed up world we live in. You were blessed to have even gotten there & actually SEEN the truck...but you should not have left without it. You went ALL that way...you paid for it. Such a messed up situation, ebay & paypal are a JOKE!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by JerseyGirl; 09-22-2009 at 10:44 PM.
JerseyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote