The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-14-2009, 02:22 PM   #26
dieselarmy13
Phone's ringin Dude.

Re: Best drill for the money?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-versive View Post
Dewalt 18v.
Batteries are interchangeable with all 18v Dewalt tools, and there are lots of them.
The best price deal is to buy it in a kit, best bang for the buck.
And you don't have to buy into the lithium ion hype(overpriced cr@p)

I have owned a Crapsman 18v drill, it worked OK, but batteries were harder to obtain. Though Ryobi batts would work with it.
I also own Milwaukie cordless tools, and actually prefer the V28 set, but it is more expensive.
+1
I've had a DeWalt kit for years now. The batteries do go bad after time, but they all do. I've dropped the drill from 15 feet in the air and all it did was knock the dust out of it and seemed to work better! I used to do HVAC and my buddy had Craftsman. Always outlasted him (18v and 19.2). And like Tim said, when the batteries go dead, just buy a new drill, it's almost always worth it.

I don't know who it was, but they said something about B+D batts going into Dewalts. The old ones would, but I believe B+D changed their design, so you have to buy DeWalt now.

My dad is a master electrician and is a harcore Milwauke guy, and will defend them all day long, but they still won't touch my Yellow stuff

I've always wanted to try Bosch, but couldn't justify buying all new tools just to switch brands.

On a side note, if you ever get a cordless sawzall, you will wonder how you ever lived without one!

2003 SILVERADO SS--THE NEW GIRL

1972 GMC--THE OLD GIRL
dieselarmy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:55 PM   #27
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin58 View Post
Makita's are awesome. I have one that's 20+ years old and still performs great.
I have three dead ones in my garage if you want em

I refuse to spend $50-100 for a new battery when I can just buy a new drill. Kinda sad that everyone charges that much.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:14 PM   #28
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
I refuse to spend $50-100 for a new battery when I can just buy a new drill. Kinda sad that everyone charges that much.
Don't think of it as buying a new drill, you are buying two new batteires and getting a "fresh" drill and charger in the deal.....LOL

That is about the size of it though and I really don't get it? Don't they know that this is what people do? It certainly does not promote "loyalty" becasue you could just as easily change brands, since you are buying every thing new.
I have mine the way I do for one simple reason....chargers. All of the cordless stuff that I have runs off of 2 chargers. Not only does that take less space on my back-bench, it is less to deal with if I have to go out on-site somewhere to install.

dieselarmy13,
I have a cordless sawzall as part of the Makita set, but it is the least used tool in the group. I don't do much demo though, mostly new construction/installation. The one I would have trouble doing w/o now is a cordless jigsaw. I bought it seperately because it is not part of any of the multi-tool sets. After the drill and impact driver, it is the next most used cordless tool I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:27 PM   #29
shifty
Questionable

I agree.

And I am serious. If anyone wants these three old Makita drills I have, you can have em. Maybe someone has batteries for them or could use em for parts.

I think they are a 12v and 14.4v or something. One of them may be smaller. They're about 12 years old and still running, just dead batteries.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:49 PM   #30
silvereagle07

I've had a Makita 14.4v drill and impact driver for about 6yrs now. I use them from the time I walk in my shop in the morning to the time I close my box at night. I love 'em. The batteries last a good while and they are pretty tough. If they ever go bad I will upgrade to their lithium ion 18 volt kit.

'84 GMC project truck
'85 Chevy 4X4 SOLD
'07 Chevy Trailblazer SS

5th Annual SHPHC Car/Truck Show Pics
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543605 UPDATED PICS! CHECK 'EM OUT
silvereagle07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:01 PM   #31
b-rad
Account Suspended

Quote:
I agree.

And I am serious. If anyone wants these three old Makita drills I have, you can have em. Maybe someone has batteries for them or could use em for parts.

I think they are a 12v and 14.4v or something. One of them may be smaller. They're about 12 years old and still running, just dead batteries.
i will take them
b-rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:19 PM   #32
Otsa580
I Love Rusty Chevys

18 volt Milwaukee Drill I bought the combo pack 3 yrs ago
Love the power but it sure gets heavy for overhead work
12 volt Milwaukee Drill for the small stuff

Drywall drills are awesome btw
Otsa580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:41 PM   #33
big mike71

All I know is Sears doesn't stand behind their stuff like they used to, and don't buy Dewalt drill bit kit they are the cheapest, easy breakin pieces of crap I ever bought.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:26 AM   #34
Sub-versive
Boss Hogg

The first Dewalt 4 tool kit I bought was 9- 10 years ago. I have used those tools alot to facilitate an income. They have worked great all these years, batteries will only last 2-3 years each with almost daily use. The drill/driver was my primary drill until my brother in-law decided to use it as a hammer. He bent the keyless chuck, I still keep it for mixing drywall mud and paint. I bought a second 4 tool kit after the hammer incident, the mew "sawzall's" have 4 way blade mounting, sometimes useful. Buy the batteries in the 2- pack, it's the best deal on batteries I've found (usaually 100-115 a 2 pack).
I also have the 18v grinder, jigsaw, fluorescent light, big fluorescent light with built in 2-bay charger, impact gun, rightangle drill. All have performed very well for me and paid for themselves many times over on my jobs.

I also bought a Milwaukie V28 4 tool set about 5 or X-mases ago, a sweet 12 hour sale deal. They are heavier, even though lithium-ion, and batts are more money. These tools kick major arse! I have used the sawzall with a pruning blade(yes they make some) to remove a plum tree before with just 2 batteries. A feat that has taken 7 batteries wiht my 18v Dewalt. That circular saw was my favorite, even over my corded worm drives. That was until it dropped on a concrete slab and bent the shoe plate. I haven't replaced it yet. The drill/ driver is my primary weapon for most jobs requiring a drill. I have Milwaukie corded hole shooters, and a hole hawg, but they almost never get used anymore.

The Makita set is also awesome, I don't own it, but have used the 18v lithium set from a buddy. My first cordless drill was a keyed chuck Makita 9v long battery style, worked it to death. The Makita 18v lightweight set was ranked number one in the most recent issue of Fine Woodworking too, for what it's worth.

I have also owned a Ryobi- it was ok, batteries seemed to not last as long.
The Crapsman 18v too, both were given to friends and family.

Another good drill was a Panasonic 14.4v, I used that sucker for years. It too succumbed to fallng on a concrete slab.

I have used a Bosch 18v drill also, pretty nice, but with all the Dewalt stuff I own, no sense in a completely different set of chargers and batteries.

The brand wars are mostly just retarded hype.
Just go with a good brand name that feels right in your hands and within your budget. Pretty much any 18v or above will work well enough to make a living with.
Sub-versive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:29 PM   #35
Lugnut64052
Middle-aged Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-versive View Post
Dewalt 18v.
Batteries are interchangeable with all 18v Dewalt tools, and there are lots of them.
The best price deal is to buy it in a kit, best bang for the buck.
And you don't have to buy into the lithium ion hype(overpriced cr@p)
X2
I love my 18v DeWalt.
I also still have an old 9.6v Makita-- the one with the "stick" battery up the handle. Still works great after 25 years. Thought I'd never have a cordless I liked better than that old Makita, but the DeWalt converted me.

Check out the site's Truck Tech FAQ.
Be a site supporter.
My more-or-less pathetic build thread.

Board members I've met:
------------------------------
Longhorn Man
Dieselwrencher
jholley
big mike71
Lugnut64052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:28 PM   #36
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Although some won't like this, I got an 18V drill (and impact tool) from Harbor Freight they share same battery, and I can't complain. They take and do everything I want out of them and seem to keep going., and both with warranties cost me under $90 (well my wife bought them as a gift).

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:41 AM   #37
gator2511

I finally broke down and bought a Milwaukee cordless and it is great. I threw my DeWalt in the garbage. I know many people like DeWalt but I don't think much of them. We used Milwaukee drills in the elevator installation trade and they got a tough workout. We never broke one or wore one out. In fact I still have 2 corded ones from the 60's in the tool box and they still work great. I went through too many batteries with the DeWalt and the chuck got wobbly. The new Milwaukee drills have a charge indicator on the battery so you can check the battery life still left.
gator2511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:15 PM   #38
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-rad View Post
i will take them
if you're coming up through Atlanta, drop me a line. I'm about 5 blocks from the zoo.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:48 PM   #39
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mike71 View Post
.... and don't buy Dewalt drill bit kit they are the cheapest, easy breakin pieces of crap I ever bought.
YES! WHAT HE SAID. Seriously, I just went through this while drilling out my notch on my truck. I had to stop midway through because their supposed "carbide" bits are crap and one cracked within the first 3 holes and about took my arm off.

Good drills, craptastic drill bits. Pics for proof:
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2009, 01:09 PM   #40
3quartertime
My Mistress the Sea

I vote for the Craftsman 19.2v series. Got two of them and they have worked great! Two batteries died so when Sears had a sale on them, I think 80 bucks for a drill, charger and two batteries I bought another. The older one I used daily on the job site for a couple of years and it never once stopped. It's beat up looking now, but works like new.

I've used Makita, Ryobi and Black n Decker and the versions of those I had didn't hold a candle to the Craftsman 19.2's.

'71 K20 350/350 Rusty but trusty... gone
'70 C20... gone
'88 K1500... gone
'90 C1500... gone
'91 C2500... gone
'95 C3500 6.5L Dually love this one!...
3quartertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:37 PM   #41
Sub-versive
Boss Hogg

Quote:
YES! WHAT HE SAID. Seriously, I just went through this while drilling out my notch on my truck. I had to stop midway through because their supposed "carbide" bits are crap and one cracked within the first 3 holes and about took my arm off.

Good drills, craptastic drill bits. Pics for proof:

I agree, their consumables suck. Don't use their hole saws or sawzall blades either.

Lenox for hole saw and sawzall blades and Hanson for drill bits. They got bought out by Irwin(Hanson), but they have the best drill bits and tap & die kits that I have tried. And I always use Anchorlube when drilling, it definitely saves on resharpening.
I usually buy the Anchorlube from a local welding supply store, but here is what I'm refring to for reference.
http://www.heavydutystore.com/anchorlube-pr-23036.html
Sub-versive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:47 PM   #42
cjracing15

Dewalt 18 volt all the way. I have had mine going on five years now and use it EVERY day in the hvac field. I have not had any problems and I have droped from 20 ft before and it still works every time.

If it quits tomarow I will buy anouther just like it.
1977 SWB stepside
1949 Chevy truck

Last edited by cjracing15; 08-16-2009 at 06:48 PM.
cjracing15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:53 PM   #43
stan79chevy

I had the milwaukee 18v set for about a year then someone stold it so the shop bought me a replacement. The replacement i got was a makita 18v with li-ion batterys. Iit has all the power of the mikita and only weighs about a 3rd. they look like little kids tools but if your drilling holes overhead to rum wires at the end of the day your arms will thank you.

stan

01 S-10 ZR2 extended cab
4.3/4L60E/233
3.73 gear 31" DICK CEPEK CRUSHERS
stan79chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:59 AM   #44
GMC Jim

Mudder & Shifty-- I also did not want the pay the high price for batteries for my older DeWalt Cordless drill.... Went to local harbor freight store and bought a 9.6 volt battery for a discontinued drill. Ten bucks!... Using a hacksaw, carefully removed the individual 1.2 battery cells from the battery packs.... Tested each individual cell and replaced 2 defective cells in the DeWalt battery pack....charged the battery and works fine...
glued the top of the battery pack back on ( which I had removed to gain access to the individual cells)
Did this before with another cordless drill, with the same good results.

Last edited by GMC Jim; 08-18-2009 at 06:03 AM.
GMC Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:04 AM   #45
GMC Jim

Mudder, I also did not want the pay the high price for batteries for my older DeWalt Cordless drill.... Went to local harbor freight store and bought a 9.6 volt battery for a discontinued drill. Ten bucks!... Using a hacksaw, carefully removed the individual 1.2 battery cells from the battery packs.... Tested each individual cell and replaced 2 defective cells in the DeWalt battery pack....charged the battery and works fine...
glued the top of the battery pack back on ( which I had removed to gain access to the individual cells)

Last edited by GMC Jim; 08-18-2009 at 06:11 AM. Reason: duplicate post
GMC Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:55 AM   #46
papawswrench

I have several of these cordless drills. Keep different bits in them. I can get one out and drill the hole while you are looking for the battery for yours!
Attached Images

papawswrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:51 AM   #47
big blue 72

Papaw,Great collection you have there. I have my Grandfathers old brace and bits and use them a lot doing woodworking around the house. I dont want to take them out to job sites since they are too sentimental to me. But , you are right , They all work just as soon as you pick one up!
Panel truck Club
6 cylinder Club
Unfinished Projects Club
Outdoor Sportsmens Club
big blue 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:30 PM   #48
Mudder

I have one of thse old drills from my dad. It actually has a piece that rests under your arm for more pressure.

Seems from this thread the Matika and Duwalts are pretty much the majority Favs. Only one bad one about Craftsman. I think I am going with the Craftsman 19.2 with two batteries for 79.00 I think it was. I can always take it back to the store or my son-inlaw drives past a Rears sevice center on his way to work.

I really can't say anything bad about the Dewalt I have. It is over 10 years olld but the batteries just wore out. I may watch Ebay for new batteries for it. I seen some last night for around 30 bucks.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:47 AM   #49
Lugnut64052
Middle-aged Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC Jim View Post
Mudder, I also did not want the pay the high price for batteries for my older DeWalt Cordless drill.... Went to local harbor freight store and bought a 9.6 volt battery for a discontinued drill. Ten bucks!... Using a hacksaw, carefully removed the individual 1.2 battery cells from the battery packs.... Tested each individual cell and replaced 2 defective cells in the DeWalt battery pack....charged the battery and works fine...
Now that's being thrifty!
I'll have to try that next time I have a dead one.

Check out the site's Truck Tech FAQ.
Be a site supporter.
My more-or-less pathetic build thread.

Board members I've met:
------------------------------
Longhorn Man
Dieselwrencher
jholley
big mike71
Lugnut64052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #50
special-K
Special Order

It`s funny how this thread turned into a "cordless" drill thread.My reply was for the best AC drill since cordless wasn`t specified.I guess I used drills a couple few decades before battery powered drills came along.To me.like Papawrench,a cordless drill was a brace or just a drill.Then came electric drills.And now cordless.
I love the Makita impact driver.But,it doesn`t drill.That thing will do so serious screw/lag/bolting.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote