The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-15-2009, 01:41 AM   #26
leddzepp

Re: Should I get a Holley for my Big Block?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclairmo View Post
Also, I wonder how many of the Edelbrock parts are made abroad. Made in USA no longer means 100% made in the USA.
Read this: http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_..._history.shtml

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:32 PM   #27
mclairmo

Thanks, site says they are "committed" to made in the USA, does not state that all products are 100% made in the USA. Anyway, I would not buy an inferior product just because it is 100% made in the USA. I prefer made in the USA, but it better be as good as the "Made in some other place" stuff and in the case of Edelbrock carbs, I don't think they are any better than Holleys.

Last edited by mclairmo; 08-16-2009 at 07:33 PM.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:29 AM   #28
leddzepp

Best of luck to you with your Holley. I'll stick to Edelbrock.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man

Last edited by leddzepp; 08-17-2009 at 02:33 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:21 AM   #29
Daves72'GMC

I have an edelbrock carb.with the electric choke with the performer series polished intake,cam,double roller timing chain,fuel pump,valve springs, push rods,lifters and it runs great.
Daves72'GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:05 AM   #30
vectorit
What?

Edlebrock/Carter style carbs have no seems below fuel level as far I remember, so they do not leak or weep fuel and get dirty with road dirt. On top of that they do now stink up the area with fuel.
I think the newer Holley has improved quite a bit over the years, but when I was running Holley on my Camaro's they would blow power valves all the time. Drove me F'n crazy with how much they needed to be tweaked and cared for, afterwards I purchased the Edlebrock carb and was so thrilled that it needed zero maintenance compared to the Holley's I replaced with it.

Holley may be great for the strip, but for everyday driving they in my oppinion suck.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:26 AM   #31
DANTIP

Check out this Calculation from Speed-0-Motive. I assume your 402 will never operate above 6,000 rpm, the calculation below would yield a cfm requirement for your truck carb of 593 cfm. I would buy an Edelbrock 1406 (600 cfm with electric choke). Mount it and forget it.

CARBURETOR CFM
BIGGER IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER
WE MUST KNOW THE THEORETICAL AIR CAPACITY TO DETERMINE THE VOLUMETRIC EFFICIENCY

THEORETICAL CFM = RPM X DISPLACEMENT ÷ 3456

VOLUMETRIC EFFICIENCY = ACTUAL CFM ÷ THEORETICAL CFM X 100

STREET CARB. CFM = RPM X DISPLACEMENT ÷ 3456 X .85

RACING CARB. CFM = RPM X DISPLACEMENT ÷ 3456 X 1.10
DANTIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:33 PM   #32
mclairmo

I have read on this forum that many do not like the Edelbrock carbs because of performance issues and in my experience, Holleys are more popular and used in more serious street machines and race vehicles. I also don't think GM used Carter carbs (like the Edelbrock) too much, if ever, but they sure used plenty of Holleys and Q-Jets. If the General used them in their hipo street cars, they must be ok, right? Also, the Edelbrock carb just says "Mopar" to me. Nothing against Mopars, just looks funny on a GM product.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:17 PM   #33
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclairmo View Post
Thanks, site says they are "committed" to made in the USA, does not state that all products are 100% made in the USA.
Every Edelbrock part that I have and box it came in says "Made in USA." Maybe they are lying, or its just a misprint.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 08-17-2009, 01:55 PM   #34
mclairmo

leddzepp, I honestly don't know if Edelbrock is 100% Made in the USA but I know for sure that it does not have to be made of 100% USA parts for them to make that claim that their stuff is Made in the USA. Companies often source parts from other countries and still claim their stuff is made in the USA. I've even seen products assembled in the USA that have all foreign content. Many of our new domestic cars are built that way and even Japanese cars are built here now but with many foreign parts. It's hard to know what is truly made in the USA anymore. I guess my point is that Made in the USA is not a guaranty that all parts are made here and thus, I no longer will make purchases based upon a claim of Made in the USA unless I can be sure 100% of that product was made here or most of it. Even then, the product needs to be as good or better than the cheaper foreign made alternatives. The foreign made stuff is getting better and better everyday and the prices are so low that it's hard to pay more for something when you don't have to. Skip White, GR8HOTRODS, JEGS and SUMMIT all sell foreign made stuff and it is mostly good stuff now. If I thought the Edelbrock carb was superior, I would gladly recommend it. Just my opinion, for whatever it is worth.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:30 PM   #35
BP68

I got a 650 edelbrock thunder series avs carb with elec. choke and worked great right out of box.

My build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=269999
BP68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:39 PM   #36
long69

edelbrocks do leak

i have one that did/does. it would leak from the bowls into the intake (of the carb.) onto the butterfly shaft and then out onto the outside onto the intake. it was too bad it did this because the truck really ran great with that carb. i never could fix it- i adjusted every thing i could (everything!). so i went with a holley, it runs good with it but not as good. i suppose even though the floats were adjusted properly maybe they weren't shutting off the gas.

please note this edelbrock was used from a engine i bought and sat for a few years.
long69 is offline   Reply With Quote