The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2009, 12:49 PM   #26
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Re: Vin # info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertad View Post
Not too worried but mostly want to know what year truck I actually have, I hate to be telling people I have a 73' when its a 75'
Better change your sig
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:13 PM   #27
Libertad
No Nonsense

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TT View Post
Better change your sig
Yep now the question is: Do I go to the DMV and try to make it right or just say screw it and keep on truckin' the way it is? Would it be worth the hassle? The communist state of California may just give me more hassle than it is worth.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:15 PM   #28
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

If you're not worried about it don't waste your time & money and have to run it through smog checks too.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:20 PM   #29
Libertad
No Nonsense

Quote:
If you're not worried about it don't waste your time & money and have to run it through smog checks too.
I hear you on the time and money but Ca has smog exemption for 75' and before now.

Last edited by Libertad; 09-30-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Libertad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:57 PM   #30
JohnC

I know my 00 Grand Prix had them everywhere. Little stickers on the hood, bumper, trunk lid. Like Keith said though I haven't seen them on my 84 anywhere besides on the dash, and I never looked under the cab on the frame well for one.

That's defintely not a 73 unless they put a whole bunch of 75 stuff on it over the years.

You may check on the smog exemption for 75. Last I heard if it had it on there stock it had to have it on there now, and 75 is when they started some of the emissions stuff on the trucks. I could be wrong though. Another reason why I don't live out there. Too many rules .

Yeah I wouldn't go to the hassle to let them know. Just keep on truckin!

Last edited by JohnC; 09-30-2009 at 03:59 PM.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:35 PM   #31
Number21

Quote:
I hear you on the time and money but Ca has smog exemption for 75' and before now.
Actually I'm pretty sure it's 75 AND UP that must be tested, 74 AND DOWN, must not. 1975 was the first year for factory emissions equipment, there fore, it is the cut off year almost everywhere that does smog checks. (especially CA!) I don't see a smog pump in there, there fore, it will cost you a LOT of money if you need to pass!

Quote:
The partial VIN's are all over the vehicle to help auto theft detectives identify stolen parts and cobbled together cars with stolen parts on them.

According to my dad the retired auto theft detective the locations are supposed to be secret and hard to get to for that very reason.
Highly, highly unlikely on '70s Chevy trucks. As others have mentioned the only VINs I'm aware of on these trucks are 1 on the dash or door frame, 1 on the engine, and 1 on the frame rail. I can assure you there are no "secret" locations that nobody has discovered since the 70s. Maybe a 2009 model, but not a 1975....

Last edited by Number21; 09-30-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Number21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:56 PM   #32
Libertad
No Nonsense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number21 View Post
Actually I'm pretty sure it's 75 AND UP that must be tested, 74 AND DOWN, must not. 1975 was the first year for factory emissions equipment, there fore, it is the cut off year almost everywhere that does smog checks. (especially CA!) I don't see a smog pump in there, there fore, it will cost you a LOT of money if you need to pass!

I am positive that its 75 and older that are exempt. I was looking for a 75 and older just for that reason and found this so called 73' for a good deal. They changed the exemption a while back.

Here is the link to the DMV:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm
Old 10-01-2009, 12:27 AM   #33
karl

If you read my post I said vin tag. The vin on the body goes with the title. The frame and drivetrain can legally be changed. In calif this is how its done. Like I said vin tag on body is what matters. Body # must match title #. I have a 1975 and there's no smog for 1975 and back here in calif. The year on the body vin tag is the year the truck is. No ifs, ands or buts about it. If the title you have doesnt match you could be arrested for driving a stolen truck. Or the person who has the correct title can take the truck any time they please. Make sure the title matches the cab perfectly. If not it could cause you big problems down the road. Dont say you werent warned. I am an advanced emissions technician so i should know.

Last edited by karl; 10-01-2009 at 01:34 AM.
karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:52 AM   #34
Libertad
No Nonsense

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl View Post
If you read my post I said vin tag. The vin on the body goes with the title. The frame and drivetrain can legally be changed. In calif this is how its done. Like I said vin tag on body is what matters. Body # must match title #. I have a 1975 and there's no smog for 1975 and back here in calif. The year on the body vin tag is the year the truck is. No ifs, ands or buts about it. If the title you have doesnt match you could be arrested for driving a stolen truck. Or the person who has the correct title can take the truck any time they please. Make sure the title matches the cab perfectly. If not it could cause you big problems down the road. Dont say you werent warned. I am an advanced emissions technician so i should know.
Well just to clarify the vin on the body does match the vin on the title but the title says the truck is a 73'
Old 10-02-2009, 11:27 AM   #35
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Well just to clarify the vin on the body does match the vin on the title but the title says the truck is a 73'
Since the body VIN and the title agree and it would be pre-smog even as a 75 I say no harm no foul. Save the headache, time and money of trying to correct a typo on the year box of the title. It makes no difference.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:50 AM   #36
karl

Agreed. Sounds like the DMV may have screwed up.
karl is offline   Reply With Quote