The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2009, 04:26 PM   #26
highperf4x4
Account Suspended

Re: to all you patriotic truck owners

First I'd like to thank those of you that have served to protect our freedom. We owe you a debt of gratitude.

Secondly I'm going to point out that freedom is what you were protecting. Freedom of expression is at the top of the list. If there is a code for military people dealing with the american flag then I'm assuming it means a "flag". If someone chopped up an actual flag and used it for apparel or strapped it onto their vehicle, I'd be offended myself. A representation of American "colors" is not a flag. I like to fly my colors myself now and then. It doesn't mean I'm going to walk around town with a flag in my hand. So if you're going to be offended then be offended about the defamation of an actual flag. Not the american colors.
highperf4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:58 PM   #27
kvn1011
Kvn1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by highperf4x4 View Post
First I'd like to thank those of you that have served to protect our freedom. We owe you a debt of gratitude.

Secondly I'm going to point out that freedom is what you were protecting. Freedom of expression is at the top of the list. If there is a code for military people dealing with the american flag then I'm assuming it means a "flag". If someone chopped up an actual flag and used it for apparel or strapped it onto their vehicle, I'd be offended myself. A representation of American "colors" is not a flag. I like to fly my colors myself now and then. It doesn't mean I'm going to walk around town with a flag in my hand. So if you're going to be offended then be offended about the defamation of an actual flag. Not the american colors.
Well said!!
kvn1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:04 AM   #28
highperf4x4
Account Suspended

Thanks. It might sound like a backhanded compliment though and I hope it's not taken that way.

I hope the veterans and the active guys alike pay more heed to that first sentence.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:11 AM   #29
TheOldGM

Interesting to say the least.
TheOldGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:41 AM   #30
VanceH
Loving the Jimmster

I served our country and would be proud to drive that around town!!!!!!!!GOD BLESS AMERICA
VanceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:31 AM   #31
wdrthird

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchip View Post
Super Bowl 2004, Janet Jackson's "costume malfunction" made international news; that same half-time show featured the wearing of an American flag by performer Kid Rock. He later removed the flag poncho and hurled it over his head. How many saw that on International news.
I saw that performance live and I agree that making the american flag into a poncho was disrespectful, but I do also remember that when he pulled it over his head he had someone standing behind him to catch it, so he went out of his way to make sure someone was on stage to keep it from hitting the ground. What he did was wrong, but I wouldnt say he "hurled it". In alot of concerts you see performers remove something and toss it into the crowd or throw it down on stage. Kid Rock was wrong, but I dont think he meant any disrespect by it.
'71 C10 Short Fleet, 454, TH400, Vintage Air, 4 Wheel discs, Posi, New bed sides/rockers/bumpers, Relocated tank, Bagged, Step notch, 20/22's

http://www.myspace.com/ndweedz

http://www.youtube.com/user/wdrthird

"My lugnuts require more torque than your Honda makes"
wdrthird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:12 PM   #32
UltraBlue71

I am in the USAF, (17 years) I think alot of Americans have their hearts in the right places when they do projects like this, but to alot of us (vets and non vets alike) the flag is such a coveted symbol that using it in ANY manner other than what you would use a honest to goodness flag for is disrespectful. To each thier own, but remember its the cover that drapes our fighting mans coffin when he comes home after paying the ultimate sacrifice for the country you live in, now do you really need to put that on the vehicle you drive in the rain and mud and snow? Once again, just an Opinion....

71 LWB
UltraBlue71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:49 PM   #33
highperf4x4
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraBlue71 View Post
I am in the USAF, (17 years) I think alot of Americans have their hearts in the right places when they do projects like this, but to alot of us (vets and non vets alike) the flag is such a coveted symbol that using it in ANY manner other than what you would use a honest to goodness flag for is disrespectful. To each thier own, but remember its the cover that drapes our fighting mans coffin when he comes home after paying the ultimate sacrifice for the country you live in, now do you really need to put that on the vehicle you drive in the rain and mud and snow? Once again, just an Opinion....
I think you're still referring to an actual flag though.

The problem is that most americans don't have a military point of view. So to us it really is symbolic of patriotism. The freedom to be unique and express that patriotism in our own creative and artistic fashion is part of being american. In the end we're all on the same side in a democratic society.

Last edited by highperf4x4; 10-06-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:03 PM   #34
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

Quote:
Originally Posted by highperf4x4 View Post
I think you're still referring to an actual flag though.
I think you missed his point. He's saying any representation of the flag should be treated as the flag itself:

Quote:
the flag is such a coveted symbol that using it in ANY manner other than what you would use a honest to goodness flag for is disrespectful.

This of course all matters on one's opinion on the subject, and to what the flag means to them. I fully respect what is said above about being on a truck as it's driven daily, it can be seen as offensive. While at the same time, the flag rides on a soldier's shoulder as he or she is in equally dirty conditions. Of course, different situations, but just an observation.

Last edited by texanidiot25; 10-06-2009 at 07:07 PM.
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:19 PM   #35
highperf4x4
Account Suspended

Ok, I'm just going to disagree and leave it at that.

I still want to say thanks for what you guys and gals do for our country. It's much appreciated and that's what is important to me.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:39 PM   #36
70cst

Guys...I just want to say THANKS for keeping this thread very respectable in your views and opinions. I have been watching this thread with a concern that it could go south but you all have done this site proud in your ability to voice opinions in an honorable way. I just felt a big Thank You was deserved!

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:47 AM   #37
UltraBlue71

Hey fellas, I was just making an attempt to try to help you see my point of view. I usually dont take myself, or too many things seriuosly, here are my rules. Dont mistreat my dog or family (In that order, Ha) mess with my truck, and I'm kinda touchy about the flag. But other than that I like to think I am laid back, to each his own, and god bless individuality, its part of what we fight for and a alot of what makes this country so great, I am glad so many people still apperciate what we do, thanks again, nuff said!

71 LWB
UltraBlue71 is offline   Reply With Quote