The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-29-2009, 11:02 PM   #26
Boog
laying low

Re: No towing power, any one have this problem?

You know if that cam wasn't degreed in right I suppose it could make it run out of steam early.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:03 AM   #27
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

lets see...
new harmonic balancer

i did set the timing the redneck way, put in different springs, advanced it so far it wouldn’t start, tried just about everything timing wise, other than replacing the distributor its self...but i have been thinking about that!

gears, 411

to heavy? well maybe, but i have no power w/o the camper, wont spin the tires ect.

im guessing it may be the cam, or ?? if i cant come up with something else to try, ill take it to the speed shop and have them put a computer on it. perhaps they can figure this out.

i KNOW we put that cam in right.. we checked 4 or 5 times, and said it out loud to eachother.. no way did we put it in off a tooth.

Last edited by mtdave2; 10-30-2009 at 01:04 AM.
mtdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:15 AM   #28
Roland

Boog asked about several items including 12v to the new HEI. You answered all but the voltage to the new ignition system. Did you check that?
Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:20 AM   #29
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

well, no, i have not put a meter to the wire. but, i ran the wire myself from the fuze box to the dist.

just for giggles ill gauge it. though to my understanding, an hei wont run at all if you dont have 12v.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:51 AM   #30
WorkinLonghorn

What do the plugs look like?
Run it with the air filter off and listen for the secondaries opening.
Verify/reset true TDC and take off a valve cover and note the exact degree that the valves open and close (using a degree tape on the balancer),also check the lift and compare these to the cam specs.

My 2500 came with the original cab-over camper and the original worn out 350 with 3.73 gears and I ran it up and down the Calif.coast,up grades etc.with no problem at all.
I'd check out that cam.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, stereo speakers, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:10 AM   #31
brothers69c-10
Suburban Hick

Still saying you may need a stall converter. If you have a tach on your truck. put your foot on the brake and and pin the gas to the floor at whatever rpm the tires brake loose or the engine won't rev up anymore is the stall in your current torque converter. compare that with the power band range on the cam, intake, etc.
1969 Chevy C-10 396/500hp TH400 lowered 4"
1968 Imapla Custom 396/325hp TH400 "Grandmas Car"
1976 Crew Cab 4x4 diesel http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=488505
1978 Chevy K-10 454
1983 S10 4x4 "Bumblb" (Grandpa's truck)
1993 Chevy S10 V8 conversion
1990 Ford Probe Gt
1992 Dodge W-150 "Old Man's Truck"
1992 Pontiac Grand Prix SE
1992 Mercury Grand Marquis-Mercruiser
2000 Ford F150 (Currently my mother drives this)
1946 Farmall H with Stan Hoist loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Wheel Horse " Rat Tractor"
brothers69c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:41 AM   #32
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

http://www.compcams.com/Cam_Specs/Ca...x?csid=95&sb=0

that is the cam... not sure how you tell where the power band is..but there you go.

after getting my truck back from the trany guy, i have noticed a vibration connected with rpms. around 2600 or so i get a rythmic vibration. if i shift into od, it stops.

i would say it was drive line angles because he did take my trany spacer out when he replaced the mount, but the angles still look ok. still i told him to put it back in. hope thats the deal.

also, the number one valve is ticking again when WARM! hum, finaly a symtom. we had a hard time getting that thing ajusted, now its out again. perhaps this may be the problem.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:59 AM   #33
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

thinking about the valve ticking, it used to be it would tick when cold, that makes sence to me. once warmed up it would stop..

now, why would it tick only when warm?
Old 10-30-2009, 12:10 PM   #34
clinebarger

I was under the impression that it only lacked power while towing. check out that valve noise soon chould be a flat lobe on the cam. seems to be a commen occurrence in the past few years.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:35 PM   #35
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

we have been thinking that it had to be a flat lobe on the cam, but when i pulled the covers and watched the rockers, they were all moving the same. there was no tapping at that time..im really hoping i have a flat lobe..hhahaha ever hear anyone wish that?
Old 10-30-2009, 03:52 PM   #36
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

I had a similar problem towing a trailer 2300lbs and a truck on it 3450lbs. It would not maintain 65 up hill. The throttle linkage was not opening the carb all the way.

I have a stock setup 350 TH350 so you should have no problem at 65 with 4k lbs
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:58 PM   #37
69GMCLonghorn

Man, you wanted suggestions, we're full of 'em!! it sounds like it's time to get a different set of eyes on that thing. Maybe it's something obvious (and hopefully simple) that none of us are thinking about...
69GMCLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:46 PM   #38
Old Chevy Mech
Keepin it runnin!

I think its the cam, but I gotta ask What size fuel line are you running?
Have you verified full throw on the throttle linkage?

"Liberty Means Responsibility, that is why most men dread it"
Old Chevy Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:38 AM   #39
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

the carb is opening all the way.. size? um, well its orginal metal line with some same sized rubber to the carb.

i have a clear large fuel filter near the carb so i can see the gas is there. if it were starving for gas, i would at least have power from a start...and i dont!

there have been a few eye balls, and many brains thinking about this. all the motor heads think its timing, or the cam.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:18 AM   #40
Shaffer4
Strange Cousin From The West..

probably a goofy suggestion, but are all the exhaust bolts good and tight? I've seen light and day differences between a sealed and a leaky exhaust...
Shaffer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:13 AM   #41
Old Chevy Mech
Keepin it runnin!

I had to ask cause I once had a similar problem from the combination of 3 different things all working together. None involved the cam, but one part involved the timing.
It seems I saw in this thread somewhere you said it wouldnt smoke the tires empty? If thats the case then the problem is definately how the engine is set up and I agree that with those that say its the cam. In my experience even a poorly timed 350 will pull its guts out. It might overheat, ping like crazy, but it'll run. And since you are saying that its not pinging, not backfiring, not overheating, and not bogging from lack of fuel Its got to be when your valves are opening and closing.
You should be able to readjust the cam without pulling the engine.

"Liberty Means Responsibility, that is why most men dread it"
Old Chevy Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:10 AM   #42
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

well, this truck has ALWAYS been a dog. even with the original motor. runs nice an smooth, but just no guts. its like it has the tallest rear gear you can imagine.

after the heads and cam, i was expecting some power, but nota. Not much change at all. that’s the strange thing really.

im with you, it just has to be the cam. we will pull the whole thing out this week and see what we find.

have you all noticed that i have bad luck lmao
Old 10-31-2009, 11:08 AM   #43
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdave2 View Post
its like it has the tallest rear gear you can imagine.
yet again I have to ask what it's like when you pull it out of overdrive. what are your RPMs both ways?
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:26 AM   #44
budman k20
1972 K20

Hi,
I re-read your post and build and these are my thoughts. I would think you would have more than 16" of vacuum at idle with that cam. The cam seems right for towing and is very close to stock. I don't know the stock cam specs but your current cam is very close to stock and I dont think you would feel a seat of the pants change over stock. Have you sprayed water around the carb base and intake gaskets? If you have an increase in idle speed doing this it would indicate a vacuum leak. A vacuum leak makes for a lean mixture... which = loss of power. My gut tells me you may have tightened the valves a little too tight. The engine could idle fine but when you get it wound up the lifters can pump themselves up and not allow the valves to close all the way. Causing the engine to run like it has much lower compresion. As far as you running the wrong converter, the converter would not affect the power output of the engine after you get the Longhorn moving. It also sounds like you are getting too much advance too quickly. A common problem with HEI. And from years of pulling with SBC's you need to be in drive when you are pulling your camper. My personal experience has shown I never get better mileage pulling anything much over 1500 lbs in overdrive. A loose timing chain could be the reason your timing readings are so variable. Did you put in a new timing chain? I may have missed it but I did not see it in your build list? Anyway a lot of details to cover. Good luck with troubleshooting your power issues! FYI I still have my dad's 71 Longhorn and have many fond memories pulling a big camper trailer all over the country with it!
budman k20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:50 AM   #45
RustyParts

I had a similar problem once, turned out to be a restriction in the exhaust system. Had a defective muffler, ran pretty decent at part throttle but performed like it had a govenor kicking in at higher RPM's. Pretty easy to check out. Good Luck.

The math teacher said my son "Bubba" could be a mathmatical genius. cause he's got 13 fingers!
RustyParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:17 AM   #46
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C15 View Post
yet again I have to ask what it's like when you pull it out of overdrive. what are your RPMs both ways?
65mph 2300 or so in od, 3000 out, no dif in power.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:20 AM   #47
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman k20 View Post
Hi,
I re-read your post and build and these are my thoughts. I would think you would have more than 16" of vacuum at idle with that cam. The cam seems right for towing and is very close to stock. I don't know the stock cam specs but your current cam is very close to stock and I dont think you would feel a seat of the pants change over stock. Have you sprayed water around the carb base and intake gaskets? If you have an increase in idle speed doing this it would indicate a vacuum leak. A vacuum leak makes for a lean mixture... which = loss of power. My gut tells me you may have tightened the valves a little too tight. The engine could idle fine but when you get it wound up the lifters can pump themselves up and not allow the valves to close all the way. Causing the engine to run like it has much lower compresion. As far as you running the wrong converter, the converter would not affect the power output of the engine after you get the Longhorn moving. It also sounds like you are getting too much advance too quickly. A common problem with HEI. And from years of pulling with SBC's you need to be in drive when you are pulling your camper. My personal experience has shown I never get better mileage pulling anything much over 1500 lbs in overdrive. A loose timing chain could be the reason your timing readings are so variable. Did you put in a new timing chain? I may have missed it but I did not see it in your build list? Anyway a lot of details to cover. Good luck with troubleshooting your power issues! FYI I still have my dad's 71 Longhorn and have many fond memories pulling a big camper trailer all over the country with it!
wow lots of good stuff there, thanks.

yes, new chain went in with the cam. we had problems with number 1 valve. im thinking you may be right, we may have over tightened it. guess we will find out Wednesday when we start taking it apart..
Old 11-01-2009, 11:20 AM   #48
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyParts View Post
I had a similar problem once, turned out to be a restriction in the exhaust system. Had a defective muffler, ran pretty decent at part throttle but performed like it had a govenor kicking in at higher RPM's. Pretty easy to check out. Good Luck.
i did take a look at this, everything seems to be flowing fine.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:51 AM   #49
Boog
laying low

Without going back through all 48 posts I'll ask if the fuel pressure has been checked. Low fuel pressure will let it run good from idle up to a point where it seems like it hits a wall and cannot go on. Collapsed rubber hose or intank strainer maybe?
Example: my 97 Burb all of a sudden wouldn't pull itself past 47 mph, floored or not, not towing anything. Started fine and ran fine up to that point. New filter fixed it.

also note: the HEI will run with less than 12 volts, just not with as much power.
Dave you said the truck was a dog from start before the engine build and still is. So run over the list of parts that were reused from the original engine and give them a look over. And without putting a dial indicator on that cam you don't know if they sent you the right one or not.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross

Last edited by Boog; 11-01-2009 at 12:08 PM. Reason: a couple more thoughts on it
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:08 PM   #50
jeffspower
Well, Whoop-dee-do!

I just read this for the first time. Read every post. If there are no lobes going flat on the cam, and the lash isn't set too tight... I'd be reading the plugs. It could be too lean. I know some will say that if it is too lean that it should ping, run hot, etc. but they don't always. Too lean robs power big time. If you was one tooth off on the timing chain, your idle vac. should be low, which it isn't.

I went thru this on a 500 Caddy I put in a '80 K20. The first time down the road after installing the fresh mild cammed engine it was gutless. I made a nice little 80 mile unloaded trip to break it in, and it used 20 gallons of gas! I pulled a few plugs and they were white as new. I think I went up 3-4 jet sizes in the Qjet, and the mileage at least doubled and power was at least decent. I know you had 2 different carbs on it with no difference, but don't rule it out... both could be too lean for your combo.

'72 K20 500 Cad/TH400/NP205 SOLD

'92 Chevy 2500 6.5 mech TD 4L80E crusty daily driver

'72 Monte Carlo... sweet low mile toy

'11 Dodge Challenger IE 392 6spd... midlife car

Last edited by jeffspower; 11-01-2009 at 02:09 PM. Reason: oops
jeffspower is offline   Reply With Quote