The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2009, 12:10 AM   #26
truckfan

Re: 454 Exhaust Suggestions Needed

so, I got my new duals installed today....

2 1/4 all the way, straight out the back. Summit Racing "race" mufflers which are flowmaster knock offs. sounds AWESOME. my local muffler guy is a 60YO welder from Puerto Rico. he is a craftsman. i'd suggest him to anyone who wnats to drive here.

it is the sound i wanted
Old 10-26-2009, 09:35 PM   #27
cLaWz

Anyone have any tips on sources for exhaust pipe sections longer then 18 inches? Called the muffler shops around me and they say they don't sell it on the side, they have to do the install, etc. Autozone, Advance, and Oreilly are all showing their "on hand" sections of straight pipe at 18 inches or so.

Being new to most of this stuff.. can I pick up some non coated steel pipe at like Home Depot or something and use that? I just need 2 straight sections to connect up with new mufflers and extend to the rear bumper. Just a patch job for right now until I build a new system with from headers back.

On another note, where is the best location to put the muffler to cut down on the noise level in the cab? Closer to the rear bumper or as close to the manifolds as possible?

Last edited by cLaWz; 10-26-2009 at 09:39 PM.
cLaWz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:36 AM   #28
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cLaWz View Post
Anyone have any tips on sources for exhaust pipe sections longer then 18 inches? Called the muffler shops around me and they say they don't sell it on the side, they have to do the install, etc. Autozone, Advance, and Oreilly are all showing their "on hand" sections of straight pipe at 18 inches or so.

Being new to most of this stuff.. can I pick up some non coated steel pipe at like Home Depot or something and use that? I just need 2 straight sections to connect up with new mufflers and extend to the rear bumper. Just a patch job for right now until I build a new system with from headers back.
I buy mine from Summit. They sell it in 4-foot lengths. It comes with a $5 packaging fee but they only charge it one time so if you buy a few lengths you only get one $5 fee added on.
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:38 AM   #29
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cLaWz View Post
On another note, where is the best location to put the muffler to cut down on the noise level in the cab? Closer to the rear bumper or as close to the manifolds as possible?
The further away from the engine you put the muffler the better it will do at reducing noise. Full tail pipes and an H-pipe or X-pipe will further reduce the sound level.
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:17 PM   #30
von guido

on a mild motor 2 1/2 duals is the way to go. check out hooker aero chamber mufflers. a touch quiter than flowmaster 40's but a better sound imo. I am running flo 40's with headers, 2 1/2 pipe and turndowns on a low compression(8.0-1) mild 454. can get a video(sound) clip if you want
von guido is offline   Reply With Quote