The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2009, 07:50 PM   #26
screamin_c10
I dun gradjiated collij!!!

Re: Looks like I get new paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by basemodel67 View Post
Trust me, I pay more for insurance every month than most people's car payment. I hate insurance companies!
I hear ya man! I have a 17 year old son with a 68 Cougar AAARRRRGGGGHHH!!!!

Last edited by screamin_c10; 10-26-2009 at 08:42 PM.
screamin_c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:18 PM   #27
big mike71

The biggest scam is my truck is a 71 it's insured for $21,500 I bet they wouldn't say it was totaled with the same damage. They're just trying to do what they do get off cheap.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:03 PM   #28
thelonerife

When I read the first post I knew it was going to be bad for the Chevy owner. If you have reciepts keep them. Get an appraisal. Use a classic car insurance co.Document all work done on it. Then they'll pay.
thelonerife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:32 PM   #29
coloradosean2009

Good advise from all. Just remember, you are entitled to be compensated from the other drivers. You should be in the same position as you were before the wreck.

That means you will have to educate the other side regarding the value of your truck. You don't have some old plow truck that has 4 miss matched bald tires, duct tape for a back window and an unlicensed driver.

Your truck is a collector vehicle that is well maintained and appriciates in value. You expect to be compensated with either (1) money to repair the vehicle to a pre accident state, with the work done by a reputable body shop of your choosing; or (2) surrender title to the vehicle and collect a check for the amount that you believe the vehicle is worth.

If the insurance company is not willing to do that, threaten to get a lawyer. If that does not work, take the previous posters advice and call the state insurance regulator.

The final point is this, you are entitled to be placed in the same position as before you got hit. They must compensate you accordingly. They will not do the work necessary to build the case for more money, that is your job.

Now GET R Done

Sean
1972 C20
2005 4Runner

coloradosean2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:44 PM   #30
westofb
I really hate wet sanding!

If I were you, I would start printing off for sale ads of trucks in similar shape as yours was prior to being rearended. Get ads off ebay, craigs list, this site, wherever you kind find them. Also might ask around some of the used car lots and see if they know someone that could give you an appraisal of your truck in pre accident condition. The insurance company adjuster is going to try to buy you off as cheap as possible, have some firepower to support what you think it is worth. I would also visit a few of your local body shops to get estimates to repair the damages, visit some of the higher priced places for the estimates. Your buddy can probably do a complete job cheaper than the high priced guys would charge to repair only the damage. To keep them from trying to total it, the price comparisons/ appraisal will need to be higher than the estimates to repair it. Remember the adjusters earn their bonus' by paying you as little as they can!
westofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:16 AM   #31
'68 C-20

Since insurance is not mandatory here in NH part of my premiums are to cover the insurance companies lawyers to fight for me regarding under insured or uninsured drivers.

Get your insurance company involved.

Hopefully the driver that caused the accident was ticketed by the police for something, that will give the lawyers an excuse to go after damages for you.

Without representation the other insurance company can claim a total and if you take the offer they will take your truck, then they will sell it off.

Let me guess, the other company is Progressive or Geico? I ask because they IMHO are the nastiest and most low down out there, which is probably good for their clients, but not good for those of us hit by thier clients. I drive a corporate car and do over 1000 miles a week. I have been hit 3 times in the last 5 years while stopped at a stop sign or at a red light. All three times I was hassled by Progressive who was insuring the guy who hit me, to the point where I had to get our corporate lawyers involved to get them out of my life. And I was just sitting waiting for a light to change!
’26 Ford Model T
‘72 Triumph Spitfire 1500
'09 "The Briggs Flyer" Gettin' High.
'68 C-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:32 PM   #32
dabels23

Insurance lady said she figured my truck up to be worth $4300, I told her to go figure it again, and I would call her back when I got my insurance appraisal, a third party appraisalfrom kruse international, and an estimate from a custom body shop.
She called back 15 minutes later and told me to take by their registered body here in town, and we would talk about fixing it instead of totaling it.

Last edited by dabels23; 11-02-2009 at 05:35 PM.
dabels23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:53 PM   #33
stueber68
1968 C20 Vortec Beast

Okay this is kind of off the subject of insurance here, but has anybody come up with some sort of frame reinforcement piece for the frame in the area of the cab and bed intersection. It seems to me a lot of these trucks could save a lot of repairs ot "totaling" if it was stronger in this area.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:55 PM   #34
stueber68
1968 C20 Vortec Beast

I know you can box your fame rails but that is a huge hassle on a truck you have no plan on dismantling to the frame.