The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-29-2009, 05:44 PM   #26
68jewel
On the path to financial ruin!

Re: Porterbuilt hood hinges?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Sachse Rod Shop hinges are well designed & built.

The problem is they're designed & built for a bed cover not a hood. When you install them on a bed cover, the gas struts mount independently of the hinge because of the required extension/compression dimensions of the strut (thus the reason for no strut provisions on the hinge itself). They'll work on hoods w/some creativity.... but they're not designed to be a hood hinge.
I got you. And in no way was I trying to say Sachse Rod Shop's stuff is no good. I've bought lots of stuff from them in the past and know Wayne that works there very well. Also have gotten some very good pointers from Mike #1 and Mike #2 that works their too. But, if they are not really hood hinges they should also put that in a disclaimer or something too. They also have them listed as "hood hinges" on their website and in their catalogue. Nevertheless, Sachse Rod Shop does excellent work and has put out some of the best stuff out in my opinion. I actually was going to get some until Fesler came out with his which was a better fit for our trucks. Then I heard about Nate's stuff and decided to go with his. I am partial to Nate's work you know.

Ooh Wee's Makeover...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=376280

Last edited by 68jewel; 10-29-2009 at 05:45 PM.
68jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:32 PM   #27
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68jewel View Post
I got you. And in no way was I trying to say Sachse Rod Shop's stuff is no good. I've bought lots of stuff from them in the past and know Wayne that works there very well. Also have gotten some very good pointers from Mike #1 and Mike #2 that works their too. But, if they are not really hood hinges they should also put that in a disclaimer or something too. They also have them listed as "hood hinges" on their website and in their catalogue. Nevertheless, Sachse Rod Shop does excellent work and has put out some of the best stuff out in my opinion. I actually was going to get some until Fesler came out with his which was a better fit for our trucks. Then I heard about Nate's stuff and decided to go with his. I am partial to Nate's work you know.
I've known Frank & Mike for 20+ years (they even came to my wedding). We used the SRS hinges on my old roomates truck so I'm familiar w/how well they work on the bed covers. The biggest complaint I hear from people that use them for hoods is side-to-side shift on 'heavy' hoods. They might work better on smaller, lighter stuff.

I'll admit to knowing Wayne as well . . .... but just this one time .
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 10-29-2009 at 07:34 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:19 AM   #28
stunna

surprised porter has not chimed in on this yet. I think he spends most of his time on here in the suspension area.
stunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:22 AM   #29
5windowpickup

Like c10 addict said I really wanted to use nates hinges but he couldn't give me a solid time frame and me being in the business myself I totally understand, being busy is a good thing! I'm sure his will turn out awesome but i couldn't wait. I'm not sure with his design if you will be able to use the stock a/c or heat box either, but he may have redesigned.

The grant kustoms hinges lined up the hood very well. The only mod I did was weld the flange on the hinge and nutsert the hood. I wasn't a fan of a non adjustable hood. The hinges are very stable also. No side to side movement. I also think the hinges could be made 100% bolt on too with a little bit of planning and thought.

They are fairly easy to put on but you definetly need to have your inner fenders out to line up and mark everything. They can be installed in a day start to finish not problem. I'll try to get some pictues inside of the cowl this week.

71 C10 Bagged work in progress driver
Build thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=365912

Last edited by 5windowpickup; 10-31-2009 at 01:30 AM.
5windowpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:36 AM   #30
nastyc10

I wanted to use Nate's hinges too but I needed them now. My truck is driveable and is just sitting in the garage waiting for the hood, and now I found out that UPS lost my Grant hinges in transit so now I don't know when I'm going to have them.
nastyc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:51 AM   #31
PBFAB.COM

The hood hinges have been a long process due to lack of time. I had a couple other products that I needed to get wrapped up and out of the way before I could focus my time on the hinges. Well, with that being said, the hinges are now on my priority list. Should have them ready within the next couple weeks.

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:07 AM   #32
Puropedo
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterbuilt View Post
The hood hinges have been a long process due to lack of time. I had a couple other products that I needed to get wrapped up and out of the way before I could focus my time on the hinges. Well, with that being said, the hinges are now on my priority list. Should have them ready within the next couple weeks.
Great to know that, will keep an eye on those. Please keep us updated! ......Also, do you think you will be designing them silmilar to the 60-66 c-10 you have made? Or differently ( less bulky perhaps? )

Last edited by Puropedo; 10-31-2009 at 02:19 AM.
Puropedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:34 AM   #33
mac72

Thanks for all the info fella's & to puropego for starting this thread.My truck is not back from the body shop yet so I have some time.Looked at the feslers,sachses etc. but are a little to flashy for me I'm definitely going to wait on Nate. One other question, I'm using a thorbecke bros. dropmember [sorry Nate, I bought it before I found this website] with 20x8's w/ comparable tire.Will the hinges that Nate is building give me the tire clearence I need when aired down ?
mac72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:00 PM   #34
Puropedo
Account Suspended

I was also looking @ the sachses and the grant kustoms ones, but will wait to see what Nate will come out with, I hope he would make them a little different than the 60-66 he build for Dino. I like how sachses ones work and look even though I heard they are a little flabby and patented, but I know Nate is pretty smart and might come up with a similar working hinge in a different version, we'll see.

Sachses..
Attachment 509383
Nates Porterbuilt's 60-66 C-10
Attachment 509384

Last edited by Puropedo; 02-25-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:01 PM   #35
PBFAB.COM

[QUOTE=Puropedo;3595749]I was also looking @ the sachses and the grant kustoms ones, but will wait to see what Nate will come out with, I hope he would make them a little different than the 60-66 he build for Dino. I like how sachses ones work and look even though I heard they are a little flabby and patented, but I know Nate is pretty smart and might come up with a similar working hinge in a different version, we'll see.

Sachses..
QUOTE]

My hinges are a simple and effective design. They will not look like the sachse style, and will not be like the 60-66 relocator brackets. A little more fine-tuning and I will be happy.

My hinges will work with the "other company's" crossmember , and also a "Z'd" frame.

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 10-31-2009, 11:15 PM   #36
stunna

[quote=porterbuilt;3596347]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puropedo View Post
I was also looking @ the sachses and the grant kustoms ones, but will wait to see what Nate will come out with, I hope he would make them a little different than the 60-66 he build for Dino. I like how sachses ones work and look even though I heard they are a little flabby and patented, but I know Nate is pretty smart and might come up with a similar working hinge in a different version, we'll see.

Sachses..
QUOTE]

My hinges are a simple and effective design. They will not look like the sachse style, and will not be like the 60-66 relocator brackets. A little more fine-tuning and I will be happy.

My hinges will work with the "other company's" crossmember , and also a "Z'd" frame.
im hoping you will have the shock on the hinge, and attach to the firewall
Old 11-03-2009, 09:06 PM   #37
n2billet
Village Idiot....

Ask and you shall receive! Here's what everyone with a dropmember has been waiting for "Hood Hinges"! I will let Nate give you more details........I will let the pictures explain the rest.....Oh and the list starts behind ME
Attached Images

-67 SWB Custom Porterbuilt Front and rear 20/22's Hazel Sold
-71 StepSide Porterbuilt Stage 2 with 20/22's Stella Mae Sold

Last edited by n2billet; 11-03-2009 at 10:12 PM.
n2billet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:07 PM   #38
n2billet
Village Idiot....

Sorry forgot to rotate the pictures....
Attached Images

-67 SWB Custom Porterbuilt Front and rear 20/22's Hazel Sold
-71 StepSide Porterbuilt Stage 2 with 20/22's Stella Mae Sold
n2billet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:41 PM   #39
98L150
///Relaxed Atmosphere

very nice, im ready to order once they are ready to go
2012 Chevy Avalanche
2003 Chevy S10 Blazer Xtreme
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/RA_Jeff
64 Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=295915
98L150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:52 PM   #40
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98L150 View Post
very nice, im ready to order once they are ready to go
I will be posting more info and pics tomorrow. Still have to final weld the hinge arms (with the TIG). I finally have it just how I want it. Hood opens more than enough, and the hood clears the cowl cover with room to spare!

I will get more pics/details up tomorrow. I will be taking orders this week, and will do a special with a group buy ($199 and $1 shipped if we get more than 12 orders). More details and info. tomorrow.

I will have all the necessary machined pieces in by the end of next week. Then we willstart shipping them.

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 11-03-2009, 10:26 PM   #41
sgrier

Count me in on the group buy. Nate these look like they will work with the stock A/C box, is that correct. Thanks.
sgrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:42 PM   #42
1sik52
Account Suspended

Put me in line Nate
1sik52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:14 PM   #43
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrier View Post
Count me in on the group buy. Nate these look like they will work with the stock A/C box, is that correct. Thanks.
There appears to be more than enough room... I will mock the factory A/C box up tomorrow just to verify!

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 11-03-2009, 11:34 PM   #44
kev2809
low n' slo

damn those are clean nate, nice work!

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:53 PM   #45
stunna

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterbuilt View Post
I will be posting more info and pics tomorrow. Still have to final weld the hinge arms (with the TIG). I finally have it just how I want it. Hood opens more than enough, and the hood clears the cowl cover with room to spare!

I will get more pics/details up tomorrow. I will be taking orders this week, and will do a special with a group buy ($199 and $1 shipped if we get more than 12 orders). More details and info. tomorrow.

I will have all the necessary machined pieces in by the end of next week. Then we willstart shipping them.
you think they will clear a cowl hood?
Old 11-04-2009, 12:02 AM   #46
68 short step

are those a 'bolt on' (to the hood) hinge? also how will the hood stay open, prop rod or ??
68 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:03 AM   #47
Puropedo
Account Suspended

Those hinges look SWEET!! Nate, even though I havent bought a crossmember from you (trying to save for a big diamond ring) you can put me on the list for a set of those.

Last edited by Puropedo; 11-04-2009 at 12:17 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:27 AM   #48
fazels

Location: Durban South Africa presently working in al ain abu dhabi united arab emirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2billet View Post
Ask and you shall receive! Here's what everyone with a dropmember has been waiting for "Hood Hinges"! I will let Nate give you more details........I will let the pictures explain the rest.....Oh and the list starts behind ME
thanks for pics of the hinges
fazel
fazels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:09 AM   #49
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunna View Post
you think they will clear a cowl hood?
I think they will. I spent a lot of time on a Blazer with a cowl hood a couple years ago, setting it up a similar hood hinge style. They were an aftermarket suicide door hinge (got the idea from XXL). After a lot of fighting and too many hours, I got it where the cowl would barely clear. This set-up offers a lot more room.

Get me some measurements and pics of the cowl length and I can compare.

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 11-04-2009, 01:14 AM   #50
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 short step View Post
are those a 'bolt on' (to the hood) hinge? also how will the hood stay open, prop rod or ??
These have a mounting pad that welds to the hood brace structure, then the hinge pad bolts to that. There is also a template supplied to locate this mounting pad (tac-weld the pad and test fit BEFORE final welding... of course!). In order to get the hood to swing and clear like I wanted, I had to bring the width between the hinges in narrower. This made a bolt-to-hood application not feasible.

Currently there are no gas struts or prop rod supplied with the kit. This will be an option in the near future.

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson