The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2009, 12:13 AM   #26
clinebarger

Re: The old "best" starter to use topic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDESIDE72 View Post
I am running some sort of AC Delco gear reduction starter on my 383 stroker. I am not sure of the originl app, but it hasnt let me down in 5 yrs, even in 100+ plus Texas heat. I relocated the battery to the trunk, and when I did, I had some 3/0 welding cable from my dad who is a retired welder and ran that from the battery to the starter. I think that makes a big difference.

If it looks like this its a 92-96 corvette starter, requires a small flywheel. Very good starter.
Attached Images

Last edited by clinebarger; 11-03-2009 at 12:14 AM.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:33 AM   #27
clay68c10

This is the one I've got.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWM-9200/
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:42 AM   #28
mclairmo

I have the red skip white mini starter and it works great and their customer service is awesome.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:53 PM   #29
rogergodding

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclairmo View Post
I have the red skip white mini starter and it works great and their customer service is awesome.
I hope you're right, just ordered one!!
rogergodding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:50 PM   #30
Jim_PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay68c10 View Post
The GM mini starters work like a champ and you can get them anywhere. I think they came on the 97ish Vortec motors. Probably a bunch of others too. They do have specific bolts, so make sure to get them, the length is different from the old-school starters.

I mistakenly jumped my GM mini on my 454 with a 14ga wire and the wire didn't even get warm (was checking gear tooth clearance and not being careful). They don't draw many amps.
Never had a heat problem either; manifolds or headers, up here or when I lived in hot-ass Dallas.
Hands down, best solution

They are smaller than other mini starters, and sounds like a new truck when you fire it up.
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:33 PM   #31
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
If it looks like this its a 92-96 corvette starter, requires a small flywheel. Very good starter.
Yep, that's it!
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:40 PM   #32
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by watahyahknow View Post
called heatsink and i heared that before they usually solve that by using a remote ford solenoid mounted on the firewall
Heat SOAK, actually-Simple terms - a hunk of metal (or other thing) starts out at ambient temperature. It's exposed to other another temperature that warms (or cools) the surface. As time goes on, the head (or cold) evens out throughout the metal and the thing is "heat soaked". If you take away the source of the heat (or cold), the part will remain hot (or cold) for quite some time as it gives off the heat (or cold) that has "soaked" in the metal.

A heat sink (or heatsink) is an environment or object that absorbs and dissipates heat from another object using thermal contact (either direct or radiant). Heat sinks are used in a wide range of applications wherever efficient heat dissipation is required; major examples include refrigeration, heat engines, cooling electronic devices and lasers. (A Heat SINK would actually help in this instance).
Old 11-03-2009, 10:01 PM   #33
WIDESIDE72

Mounting the solenoid usually does fix this. I believe all that s needed is a Ford solenoid . I run the two wires that normally go to the S terminal on the stock starter to the s term. on the remote sol. and I run a jumper wire or a bus bar from the s term on the starter to the large post for the batt. cable. The I just run the cable to the remote sol. and another cable to the starter from the remote sol. So it is basically just splitting the pos. cable.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:55 PM   #34
rogergodding

red "skip white" starter arrived today, dropped it in and it is awesome so far!!
rogergodding is offline   Reply With Quote