The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-07-2009, 11:20 AM   #26
mrein3

Re: Hunting Photos With a Classic Chevy

I have a few.

A really good friend of mine shoes horses for a living. He went to school for that here in MN then moved out to Wyoming to ply his trade.

The first photo is a scan of a photograph from 1992 or 1993. That is before digital cameras were afforadble by the unwashed masses. The truck was his then but now is mine. It is a 1970 body on a 1971 4x4 chassis. I have further muttified the truck by swapping out the 3-speed manual for a th350, adding AC, painting the cab and front clip, installing a 383 in place of the 350, and doing a million other things to it. In the photo is my dad and horse shoe bud getting ready for a pack trip into the Wind River range near Dubois, WY.

The second photo is the same friend's "work" truck. This time a 2004 GMC with quite possibly the best pheasant hunting dog the world has ever seen taking a brake after helping us whack our limit of roosters one day. That would be Big Stone County, MN near where my wife grew up.

If you look close my friend's truck in picture 2 he still has Wyoming plates. He moved back to MN a few years after that so we get to do way more pheasant hunting and a lot less elk hunting .
Attached Images

Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:52 AM   #27
gerfunken

I have to agree with you, as my '72 is my hunting rig as well. I had a bit more luck than you with regard to elk though.......
Attached Images

1972 Chevy K20
Picture Gallery
Build Thread

1930 Chevy AD
Picture Gallery

1929 Ford Model-A
Picture Gallery

1975 Triumph TR-6
Picture Gallery
gerfunken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:40 PM   #28
pritch

Me: Marlin 1894 Carbine 44 Remington Mag

I had that same rifle in 45-70 when I younger. Wish I had never sold it, but I was poor at the time. It was a shoulder bruiser, though.

I don't have any hunting pictures on my computer, but I have a few.

X2 on the muzzle loader burning the paint off a hood
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:24 PM   #29
19gmc72

coloradosean2 whats the color of that truck??!! it looks darker than the original or is that the lighting?
1988 Toyota Xtra Cab 4x4 22re
2003 Chevy 2500HD 6.0
2007.5 GMC 2500HD LMM Duramax
19gmc72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:37 PM   #30
coloradosean2009

Long time since this post has seen any activity. I thought it was appropriate to post the most recent photo from a our grouse hunt. I know that is not a grouse, but the marmot was "smart eyeing" us.

The happy hunter is my buddy's kid with his first legal hunting victim. That was one fat whistle pig. We skinned it up and will be making a nice hat soon.

I hope to see some new photos since about a year has passed since this thread started.
Attached Images

Sean
1972 C20
2005 4Runner

coloradosean2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:28 PM   #31
chisler

Last years elk taken in northern BC....Heading out this week will include my truck this time!!!!!!
Attached Images

chisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:09 AM   #32
jamie72

great pics guys... love seeing old iron in use.

member #807

http://www.myspace.com/whitetailobsession
www.antlertalk.com
jamie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:47 PM   #33
Murphy IRE

With the new mud tires, "Gertie" handled the mud holes very well. It was really hard to see the paint on the other side. I should have taking a picture of that. I added some pretty decent "Cowboy Pin-stripes" on this trip. I have learned that there is a difference between street ready and off road ready. We broke the 2nd battery mount right off and the battery went flying. Thank God we caught it early and disconnected it before it completely arc welded the battery to the frame.

This is a special photo. My oldest son Dan (with the marmot) just reported for USMC boot camp tonight. This was his last outting before reporting. No grouse, so we had to make him earn some future bragging campfire B.S.
Coloradosean and my youngest will post some pics in October from the elk/deer outting! Good luck to all those going hunting and don't forget to post some pictures of your working classic truck.

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!
Murphy IRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:05 PM   #34
chisler

Just got back from elk hunting in northern BC and had some luck,I put 1600 miles on the old 72 and had no problems at all it was a nice two week holiday,here are some pics to share with you hunters that take their old iron out hunting..........oh ya lots of elk were bugling!!!!
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2010, 06:16 PM   #35
driller35

Good Job Chisler, will try my luck in a couple of weeks for elk, but i think i will leave the ole gal parked

70 Chev CST, 350 auto, PS, PB, AC, tach
driller35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:20 PM   #36
RCbowtie69

cool
RCbowtie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:36 PM   #37
chisler

Good elk out your way I hear Driller35,still cleaning the gumbo muck off everything, I was in Dawson Creek, every thing warmed up after the snow storm and sh!T did every thing get greasy!!!! GOOD LUCK ON YOUR HUNT!!!!!
Old 11-01-2010, 07:50 PM   #38
coloradosean2009

Went out in the 2nd season snow mess. Did a lot of driving though mud with Murphy's '71 K20. Never got stuck. Amazing considering the amount of snow and rain we got.

This year was one of the worst for bad weather in 2nd season.

I will have to ask my brother or Murphy for some photos. In all the mess I forgot to take any. Here is a link to my bro's posting on another forum. Warning - They are not as civilized as around here !!http://www.drakemag.com/messageboard...hp?f=1&t=17661 it sums up the event and his success. I am the dude cutting on the bull.

Sean
1972 C20
2005 4Runner

Old 11-01-2010, 08:35 PM   #39
Cdshinne

Subscribed, will be posting when im able to take the k20 out
Cdshinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:07 AM   #40
C20-67_N_MO
Champagne Taste on Beer Budget

Very cool pics of classic and present day hunts with great 4x4s!!
Old 11-02-2010, 01:15 AM   #41
SIXT8LOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradosean2009 View Post
I just wanted to share a couple of photos from a recent elk hunt with my good friend and his boys. I also wanted to see if anyone has hunting photos to share. In my opinion, there is no better way to use a classic pickup than to hunt with it.

The truck is a '71 K20 that Murphy IRE just recently purchased. Murphy can fill us in on the trucks details.

Here is Murphy's profile:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/member.php?u=71043

This was the first year for Murphy and his boys to big game hunt together. As you can imagine, planning a Colorado big game hunt in November can be a challenge and expensive.

The pickup has been named "Gertie". She handled the ~ 600 mile round trip without any problems. Last night a large storm moved into the area. Murphy and I were at the top of a Colorado volcanic peak with high plasticity clay. A little snow and rain turned the clay into an ice rink. The steep grade down the mountain was a real puckering moment. Gertie handled the situation without any hangups and we got back to camp in time for dinner.

I wish I had a photo of a dead elk to share. The weather this year really screwed up the Elk migration cycle. From what we can tell, the success rate on the western slope of Colorado was way down.

Please feel free to share any photos you have of a classic Chevrolet used to hunt.
great pic,,,,just got back from Monticello , utah,,,,,,,didnt see one buck in five days!!, my bro saw one while sitting in is truck, lucky,,,,, nice 4x4......i hear the winter really did in the deer this season..five tags drawn one deer.......oh well maybe next yr..
SIXT8LOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:40 PM   #42
Murphy IRE

These pics were from the first snow strom on opening day (Saturday mid morning). Mitch got a 5x5 on Sunday and then that night the big front came in. It started with rain (All night) and then turned to snow and cold. We made the decision to "Bug out" on Monday. The ruts were full of mud, water and snow (2nd picture just in front of our camp). Gertie handled them like a PRO! I returned on Friday to try our luck again, but no luck! The ruts were still full, but now the top of the water had turned to over an inch of ice. It was thick enough to support me walking across. I got lots of comments from the other hunters about "Gertie" and a lot of new truck owners didn't dare tackle the road that Gertie conquered on numerous occassions. The new low stall torque converter paid for itself on this trip. We never used the winch (but I put the remote in the cab for insurance). Despite the snow, it was fun and we look forward to next year and taking pictures of elk with Gertie.
I added these neat tracks my son Brendan found of our local mountain lion. We never saw him (Surprize) his tracks were everywhere and I kept one eye out for him while looking for the elk. It was an weird feeling walking through the rock out-crops!!!
Attached Images

Murphy IRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:54 PM   #43
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Man, that is crazy. Nice pics. Do you guys usually get storms like this this early on? Those stupid mountain lions can be very elusive can't they?
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:16 PM   #44
coloradosean2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Man, that is crazy. Nice pics. Do you guys usually get storms like this this early on? Those stupid mountain lions can be very elusive can't they?
Hunting this time of year is normally nice weather. But at 10,500 ft, you can get snow any time of the year. The big problem with our camping spot was the mud bogs that we had to drive through.

Sean
1972 C20
2005 4Runner

Old 11-02-2010, 08:07 PM   #45
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
When I hunted Wyoming we had a storm like that come in while we were packed in on horseback. First rain then snow. Heavy snow. I was in my younger 30s as was my friend. My dad and one of his buds were with. They were in their late 60s. We hated to do it but after the storm went away we packed up and headed out. That truck in the picture above pulled us, about 10,000 pounds of horse flesh, and all our stuff out in one trip. We didn't have a choice. After we got everything out we figured we would be the last vehicle out in quite some time. After about an hour of packing at the trail head for the trip back to Dubois we heard that familar ga-ga-ga-ga-ga-ga-ga sound of a diesel engine come down the hill. He had the same type of arrangement. Lots of wet stuff, a horse trailer, and chains on all 4 tires.

Another thing I don't miss is what the locals out there call "sleeping with the bears". We had a pack tent and a cook tent. We were in a grizzly area so we had to do our cooking 100 or more yards away from where we slept. One morning after a light snow fall we found tracks from a ma-ma griz and her two cubs 50 yards behind our sleeping tent. I'd take a mountain lion over a ma-ma grizzly any day.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:20 PM   #46
coloradosean2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrein3 View Post

Another thing I don't miss is what the locals out there call "sleeping with the bears". We had a pack tent and a cook tent. We were in a grizzly area so we had to do our cooking 100 or more yards away from where we slept. One morning after a light snow fall we found tracks from a ma-ma griz and her two cubs 50 yards behind our sleeping tent. I'd take a mountain lion over a ma-ma grizzly any day.
You and me both!

Sean
1972 C20
2005 4Runner

Old 10-14-2011, 10:59 AM   #47
coloradosean2009

I figure it is time to bump this post as a reminder that we love photographs. Add a classic truck and a dead animal, and they are that much better.

We are heading up for Second Season Rifle next week. I will post some photographs when we get back.

Sean
1972 C20
2005 4Runner

Old 10-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #48
chisler

Good luck on the hunt...looking forward to the pics...took my old chevy out again...no problems...they seem to run forever!!!!!!
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #49
chisler

Some more pics!!!!!
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2011, 03:37 PM   #50
vectorit
What?