The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2009, 02:04 AM   #26
team39763

Re: No, I didn't slam it. It broke!

What is the correct/incorrect way to install a castle nut? Why is the dust boot important?
Old 12-03-2009, 02:26 AM   #27
bluex

Quote:
Originally Posted by red rumbler View Post
and bluex this is awsome! i would never cut my frame in half! turned out awsome shortys are awsome:P

Thanks,

My father gave me this truck when I got my liscence. I always wanted a shortbed though, but worked with what I had. I almost sold/traded it three times. I'm glad I didnt now. He died when I was 19. After that I decided to keep it and make it what I wanted. At the time I worked with a guy that used to strech 1 ton trucks to make rollbacks out of them. He did welding on the side and had a sweet setup on a trailer. He came out to the house and helped. It only took about 4 hrs to shorten it as far as cutting and welding. Then I had to get the DS shortened, new rear brake line, park brake cables and gas tank. That stuff took longer. It has been done now for about 6 yrs.

I had pics and planned on making a how to for Jeff (bigblock73) to put on his site. As I was working on it, my computer died and I lost all but a few I had on the internet. Its really not hard to do though. The hardest part was finding a decent bed.

This is a more recent pic

sorry for the thread jack....

Last edited by bluex; 12-03-2009 at 02:27 AM.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:13 PM   #28
kris's66lwb
resident wrencher

i am only 17 but a mechanic by trade and me and friend rebiult the entire front end of my 80 big 10 in 6 hrs thats using inpacts and air hammers tho and a torch the impact for the wheels and air hammer for the ball joints and the torch for the removal of the ball joints other than that just jackstands and a flor jack no spring compressor its alil sketch but it worked and now the truck drives like new and it came out all aligned even after i tooke all the arms off and replcaed them just get a friend and have some fun it cost me like 200 $ to do my front end
kris's66lwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:15 PM   #29
kris's66lwb
resident wrencher

you install the castel nut with the spikes up and the slide the cotter key thru it the dust boot does two things it keeps the dust out of the ball joint and it keeps the grese in
kris's66lwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:21 PM   #30
DillonOpossum

Aw Man that sucks! It's an awesome truck though, I was What wheel and tire size and brand are you running? I love those whitewalls BIG 10
DillonOpossum is offline   Reply With Quote