The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2016, 10:37 AM   #26
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Re: '66 Project in Texas

Nice work so far. Bracket looks good for the steering box. What are the bodies on the Lotus cars made out of, looks like it could be aluminum or fiberglass?

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:22 PM   #27
Chuck Nukem

Thanks guys!

The cars are pure fiberglass. The shells probably weigh about 150 lbs. Two people can easily pick one up. I am bonding an aluminum honeycomb/ carbon fiber fire wall in to the black car to replace the now disintegrated factory MDF "on fire" wall. Lotus were pioneers in value engineering! It was once said that the founder of Lotus got disqualified from a race for painting a piece of paper with aluminum paint and using it as a "bulkhead" in a race car. I have never driven one of these little things but they are reputed to have gravity defying handling. The frame on them is made form 16ga steel...the same as the door panels on our trucks! I am going to run a ford zetec (original engine was a ford block with a lotus cast head. Ford kept the bellhousing pattern all the way to the first gen focus....used zetec was MUCH cheaper than rebuilding the old engine). Stock power for the original was 105hp. I am going to run yamaha r6 throttle bodies on the new FI engine and ditch the cats so I am expecting to see 140hp or so. Should be plenty quick for 1500 lbs.

On the truck front I am going to get to work on machining up a serpentine belt bracket system to hold the power steering pump and an AC compressor. Does anybody have a part number for a good sized 134a unit they could recommend? I have been digging through rock auto's later chevy selection and found a few possibles, but haven't decided on anything yet.
Attached Images

Last edited by Chuck Nukem; 03-21-2016 at 12:29 PM.
Chuck Nukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:47 PM   #28
clemdaddy

love your truck. hope you plan to get back on it soon because you have done a lot of excellent work and it would be a shame to not finish. you know i think you'll need something to tow those little cars around with, when they break. just saying... love your truck.
clemdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:53 PM   #29
Chuck Nukem

Thanks! Cars are definitely on the back burner and the truck will be done first...It was my first project after all!
Old 04-04-2016, 09:53 AM   #30
Chuck Nukem

Cab is on! Hoping to get glass and doors in this week....
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2016, 03:45 PM   #31
MOONLIGHT CUSTOMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Nukem View Post
Finally got the discs fitted and all the suspension restored. My bracket seems to fit just right. I guess we will find out how I did when alignment time comes...

Going to be welding the duals up this weekend. I got some 40 series flowmasters to go on it. Might get the cab on the frame before April at this rate!
I love that steering box bracket
MOONLIGHT CUSTOMS is offline   Reply With Quote