The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-25-2010, 06:54 PM   #26
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

Re: new daily driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts62 View Post
Well said glock35ipsc and its very true, that is basically why my projects have slowed waayyyyy down at the moment..

The only problem with selling your car or truck that i can relate to or think of is that you already know your truck and how it runs and know whats wrong with it and if you buy another ride its new to you and could in fact have more problems with the new/used one than the one you got rid of (i have ran into this) and you can buy a bunch of gas for what the payments are on some of these vehicles out there today.
i owe $6500 left on the mustang. Figure I can sell it for $9k and have $2.5k from that left over, sell the truck for whatever i can get for it and with that money, have a dependable car thats safe and good on gas and boring and not have a payment.

really don't want to get rid of the truck, since i've had it for 9 years and was my first car and all, but thats how life goes i guess
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:01 PM   #27
thump16

Atleast you have your child. That's the best thing in the world to have. I'm currently fighting for custody of my 23 month old babygirl (she claimed my truck @ 20 months) right now to my soon to be ex and I have raised my 15 yr old daughter since she was nine by myself(Honor student & awesome young lady). There is no greater sacrifice then your children. I gave up alot as a young man to see my babies smile and would gladly do it again to make sure they have what they need since they didn't ask to be put on earth. GM made alot of squarebodies and you'll get another. My 2cents.

Good luck

Last edited by thump16; 01-25-2010 at 07:11 PM.
thump16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:03 PM   #28
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

I'm glad you didn't take my post the wrong way, especially since you don't really know me. I do understand your position on not wanting to get rid of the truck being it was your first ride, but I still applaud you for being willing to do so.

Now, the moderator in me kicks in so must say this..... please consider becoming a subscribing member before furthering the talk of actually selling it. I don't mean it in any harsh way, know that everyone here supports you. I just want to keep everything on the up-and-up.

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE

Last edited by glock35ipsc; 01-25-2010 at 07:03 PM.
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:10 PM   #29
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock35ipsc View Post
I'm glad you didn't take my post the wrong way, especially since you don't really know me. I do understand your position on not wanting to get rid of the truck being it was your first ride, but I still applaud you for being willing to do so.

Now, the moderator in me kicks in so must say this..... please consider becoming a subscribing member before furthering the talk of actually selling it. I don't mean it in any harsh way, know that everyone here supports you. I just want to keep everything on the up-and-up.
i wouldn't be posting it on here for sale. my dad owns a small car lot and we would probably run it through the auction first
Old 01-25-2010, 07:13 PM   #30
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocbaud View Post
my dad owns a small car lot and we would probably run it through the auction first
Bonus! That will help a bunch!

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:46 PM   #31
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

its a shame you dont live closer i have a car for sale that would have fit your bill and you coulda kept the truck as mine is like $3700

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:04 PM   #32
Prerunner1982

Eric,

I won't give you advice as you have received enough of that already... we have known each other for quite awhile and I am praying for you. I know times are tough, I feel it all the time, but unfortunately I don't have a "toy" to give up, at least one that anyone would want.

Things will get better, it may not be today or tomorrow, but it will get better.... may get worse (hopefully not) but it will get better. Keep your head up and remember you have friends and family to help you out, don't be too much of a man to ask for help. I have this problem sometimes....

Take care and let me know if you need something or need someone to talk to or whatever....

Was that advice? Maybe I should have said no Financial advice...
Oklahoma Roll Call

Last edited by Prerunner1982; 01-25-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:35 PM   #33
scotts62
One day...

Quote:
i owe $6500 left on the mustang. Figure I can sell it for $9k and have $2.5k from that left over, sell the truck for whatever i can get for it and with that money, have a dependable car thats safe and good on gas and boring and not have a payment.

really don't want to get rid of the truck, since i've had it for 9 years and was my first car and all, but thats how life goes i guess
Yeah sometimes its for the best and if it helps then it will be well worth it in the long run. I had a 83 like yours that i sold to pay off a couple loans and i hated selling it but it was for the best.... but dangit!
Here is a pic just for grins..

93 crew cab build
Project 62
scotts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:52 PM   #34
AceX
>130dB Moderator

I would think an EFI system would add to the driveability factor. FAST came out with their new system which is just shy of $2k. If you bargain right you could do that AND the 700R4 and wait on the front end rebuild. These would also leave very little down time on the truck.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:58 PM   #35
highperf4x4
Account Suspended

Well shoot. I just hate to see you drop the truck. I sure hope you figure out a way to keep it brother. Any chance of help from family maybe? Someone got a dependable car you can use for a little while so you can just sell the mustang? Obviously you need to do what's best for the kid but don't get in a hurry to close a door you don't have to you know?

I wish I could help ya somehow. I'm sitting in a hospital room right now on this laptop beside my wife who's had a slew of medical issues come up recently and today it was surgery to remove her thyroid due to a potential cancerous node and I know I've got bills due, tuitions to pay, vehicles that need some repair, work is slow and god only knows how much this stuff is gonna cost in the end so I feel your pain.

I wish the best for ya though.
highperf4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:26 AM   #36
SCOTI

While the advice offered is solid, I question the need to sell a decent truck that's paid for to turn around & buy a car that's an 'unknown'. How many miles a week are we talking about here?

Sure, dump the Stang w/it's payment & insurance. With that done, the truck w/a proper child safety seat will be just fine for getting your kid to all those playdates & activities.

I drove my GF & her daughter all over the place in my 68 & 74.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:37 AM   #37
Hoods69BadBowTie
Chevys Kick A$$

I would seriously consider just selling the stang and keeping the truck. You have owned the truck for awhile and worked all its kinks out mainly! Compared to if you bought a new car that was unknown just to save gas money. It sucks you got to get rid of one of your toys though. I have been there man family always comes first!
-'86 K5 Blazer Silverado 6.2 4" lift 35"s
-'95 Ext. Cab Shorty 4" Tuff Country rolling 35" M/T's
-'83 Monte Carlo T-Tops. 126,500 Original Miles
-LATER
I would rather push a Chevy then drive a ford!!
Hoods69BadBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:56 AM   #38
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

i'm driving about 70 miles round trip each day to work and back including picking up the kiddo every day.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:54 AM   #39
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

I hear what scoti is saying but gas gets expensive when you are driving that much. I used to drive that far in my burb (2 years) and literally bought a car with the money I was spending on gas, and it has a 700r4. Keep the truck, get a **** box with a manual transmission, you're happy, you won't have a payment, catastrophe averted.

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:37 AM   #40
79gmcc15
Gettin It One Pice At A Time

Do you know anyone you can "sell" your truck to and will hold on to it for you till better times come? What about your dads car lot, he could buy it from you and put it in the very back row wilth a cover on? Or do a trade or something with what he has on the lot and hold on your truck for you? I sure hope things get better for you soon my friend.

Work In Progress 1979 GMC C1500 Trailering Special.
Getting the truck done, one piece at a time.

“You can tell a lot about a fellow’s character by his way of eating jellybeans.”Ronald Reagan

“I don’t know the key to success but I know the key to failure is trying to please everybody.” Bill Cosby
79gmcc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:34 AM   #41
joe231

Sorry to hear about your hard times Eric.

just a thought, but have you thought about moving closer to work?
Old 01-26-2010, 10:29 AM   #42
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post

Exactly. If there's a consideration for a move, factor that before selling the truck. I put about 150-200miles a week on my 74 @ 10mpg. It's cheaper than a payment & I can easily fix anything mechanical vs. a newer computer controlled import.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:47 PM   #43
scotts62
One day...

93 crew cab build
Project 62
scotts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:50 PM   #44
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post

oh yeah, i have.

can't do it though.

my mom currently watches danny while i'm at work.
If i move closer to work, i'll have no one to watch him during the day.
I can't afford daycare on my own, and if my ex isn't paying me the legally owed child support, she also wont pay the legally owed 1/3 cost of the day care expenses.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:51 PM   #45
DropTopZ28

i drive about 80-100 miles per day for work and i have gone to buying cheap cars for work and park the other cars. you can find good running cars for under $2k that get good gas mileage that will pay for themselves faster than you think and you could park the truck. most apartment complexes will give you 2 car spaces that you could leave your truck parked at with a cover over it. i wouldn't like the thought of leaveing my truck out there all of the time(covered or not) either though. i know the last apartment i lived in that had the extra garage was about $50 a month more but that has been a while.

instead of the transmission think about a good bed cover. that will help out with the gas mileage a little and if the truck is your only vehicle you'll need the bed cover for secure storage in the bed anyway.
DropTopZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:00 AM   #46
bigblock73
yeller

Like I said earlier, I wouldn't sell the truck...just park it for a while, until you figure things out. Get rid of the stang, get a "boring" econo box. You come across a little pissy in your replies...gotta grow up and make the right decision for your two person family. Sucks to hear about what is going on, but you need to keep your head up, and plow ahead and take care of your son and yourself. Be strong.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:28 AM   #47
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Quote:
oh yeah, i have.

can't do it though.

my mom currently watches danny while i'm at work.
If i move closer to work, i'll have no one to watch him during the day.
I can't afford daycare on my own, and if my ex isn't paying me the legally owed child support, she also wont pay the legally owed 1/3 cost of the day care expenses.
Not to butt into your business but the state has a special section to enforce this kind of child abuse. I serve many of these kinds of things and if your wife refuses to pay child support then she deserves to be forced to. Your son shouldnt have to be a victim of his parents inability to get along. I know you from here and figure youre a stand up guy who is doing the best he can for himself and his son.If his mother refuses to pay her fair share of support then she needs forcing by the state. Youre not the bad guy for getting what is legally Dannys..

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:32 AM   #48
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
Not to butt into your business but the state has a special section to enforce this kind of child abuse. I serve many of these kinds of things and if your wife refuses to pay child support then she deserves to be forced to. Your son shouldnt have to be a victim of his parents inability to get along. I know you from here and figure youre a stand up guy who is doing the best he can for himself and his son.If his mother refuses to pay her fair share of support then she needs forcing by the state. Youre not the bad guy for getting what is legally Dannys..
dhs takes a long time to get anything done :-/
trust me, as soon as the divorce was finalized, i signed up and they've been keeping track of it.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:33 AM   #49
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73 View Post
Like I said earlier, I wouldn't sell the truck...just park it for a while, until you figure things out. Get rid of the stang, get a "boring" econo box. You come across a little pissy in your replies...gotta grow up and make the right decision for your two person family. Sucks to hear about what is going on, but you need to keep your head up, and plow ahead and take care of your son and yourself. Be strong.
not pissy, just in a bad mood for the past week or more
Old 01-27-2010, 01:05 AM   #50
Pyrotechnic

I would sell the Mustang first, then step down to a used economy car as a first step. Something like a Honda Accord with a manual transmission would work pretty well for you.

Like this for example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-...item45f09a9f68

The F series motor is a tough one and is capable of lasting a long time, just keep a good timing belt and water pump on it and change the oil every 3000. 250-300K useful miles out of the motor wouldn't be unreasonable if it was cared for. With the money you get from selling the Mustang you could buy a car like this outright which means no more car payment and save on insurance. Also that particular car is listed as 22 city 29 highway, so it will be great on gas.

Last edited by Pyrotechnic; 01-27-2010 at 01:07 AM.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote