The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2010, 01:25 PM   #26
leddzepp

Re: anyone else finding "nos" gm made in "china"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shade67 View Post
As far as unions go they are a good news bad news type of thing. they raise wages all around them and give workers protections from unacceptable dangers. They also can cripple a companies ability to be competitive if left unchecked. In order to protect workers, some worthless pukes are protected and kept employed. I was a union steward and had to defend some people for doing some pretty stupid stuff.
It is a double edged sword, what can you do?

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:02 PM   #27
yote1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillW23 View Post
There are still some small American companies, doing specialized work. As far as suspension, I believe Moog products are still made in America. I just wish you could find sheet metal replacement parts made here.

Willie
i called and even "moog" is importing from " another country" they wouldnt say what country... ..
1968 Honda mini-trail z50a #377
1966 uh 1-D Huey
yote1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:32 PM   #28
Papabone

Thought I would try and upload a few pictures of poor quality parts.

All of these parts were purchased from LMC.

Some of the bad parts I didnt discover until after I had installed them.
The first pictures are before I removed the door panel for the fourth time
trying to figure out why I couldnt get the door handle pins to seat in the grove.

Well as the pictures will show you can see why.

I even did a bit of grinding on the tip before I removed the panel thinking the handle was bottoming out. That wasnt it.

Had my 35 yr old and 30 yr old sons try to push the handle on thinking I was just old and weak.
Nope wasnt it.

Further inspection on the window crank I discovered more bad parts.

I also ordered 2 new Black door panels just because i wanted to be lazy and because I had already repainted both door panels with I guess the wrong paint for vinyl and both panels are going to have to be redone.
The paint chipped really bad.
When I pulled the new replacment panels out of the box and seen the crap they had sent me I decided I would rather just redo the originals and send the new ones back.

Worst replacement items Ive ever seen.
Attached Images

Papabone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:39 PM   #29
Papabone

Try installing these new window cranks a total mess.

Look very close how far off the cylinder and pin grove are.
Looks like a good 1/8 inch off.

The handle on the right is the new one.

I do believe Im done with LMC and anyone else that supplies this crap.
Attached Images

Papabone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:44 PM   #30
OhOneWS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrein3 View Post
Funny thing when gas was over $4/gallon here and oil over $200/barrel, those tables turned. It only makes sense to manufacture stuff overseas if you can move it across the ocean cheap. It was too expensive to move stuff so some companies that still could started making stuff here again.
Farouk is one of those companies. They manufacture Chi products. Your wife will know who they are. LOL. They recently moved manufacturing to Houston from China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrein3 View Post
What is American made mean any more? I saw a Toyota ad on TV the other day claiming that it was American made? Huh?!? Whatever. For now I'm sticking with my Fords and Chevys.
The new Toyota truck was designed in California, Engineered in Michigan and assembled in Texas. It is more American made than my 2007 Chevy Avalanche that was assembled in MX.

Last edited by OhOneWS6; 01-31-2010 at 05:52 PM.
OhOneWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:47 PM   #31
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillW23 View Post
There are still some small American companies, doing specialized work. As far as suspension, I believe Moog products are still made in America. I just wish you could find sheet metal replacement parts made here.

Willie
Like I said there are more companies and quite a few large ones that still make parts in America then people realize. If you want I can give you a long list of sheetmetal stampers still here/ many floor pans for restoration are still made here. We sell replacement 55-59 Chev truck floor boards made in America. A lot of the car trunk floors and rockers we sell are made in the USA. But they don't make much here for the 67-72's yet. Except for a handful. Its not all gone
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:53 PM   #32
Big Port Jimmy 6
Addicted to Rust

Papabone there are two lengths of the door controls one fits the steel panel and one fits the molded panel. Looks like you have the short ones. Jay
87 GMC CCSB 5.3 4l60E Daily Driver

ECTA National record holder XO/PP

We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public.
Big Port Jimmy 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:12 PM   #33
Thealien

Yup looks like either they sent you or you ordered the parts for up to 71. The window cranks and door handles are longer for 72.

What do you have, what did you order?
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:09 PM   #34
mike16

Its funny you mention our military equipment being made in America. I just got back from 17 months in Iraq. Its amazing whats made elsewhere that sustains our troops. One claim is that we must support those who support our efforts over there. what total BS. Perhaps if they dont remember 1917-1918, they would remember 1941-1945. and if not that, then remeber that our markets are open to them. When our economy tanked look what happened to everybody elses. Lest they forget.

Last edited by mike16; 02-01-2010 at 01:10 PM.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:54 PM   #35
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealien View Post
Yup looks like either they sent you or you ordered the parts for up to 71. The window cranks and door handles are longer for 72.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:08 PM   #36
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhOneWS6 View Post
Farouk is one of those companies. They manufacture Chi products. Your wife will know who they are. LOL. They recently moved manufacturing to Houston from China.

The new Toyota truck was designed in California, Engineered in Michigan and assembled in Texas. It is more American made than my 2007 Chevy Avalanche that was assembled in MX.
I had to get on the google to see wat Farouk is. Cheap, throw-away stuff like hair dryers. I got news for you, my wife goes through hair dryers like I do beer. The USA made ones and the Chinese ones.

True on the Toyota but I'd still rather see Ford and/or Chevrolet get my money. Until I can go back in time and change it so my dad didn't provide for me with money earned at the Ford assembly plant down in Highland Park, making a life for me so I could go to college, get a degree, and therefore a good job, I know where I'll be spending my money. My folks couldn't afford college for me but they made it possible by giving me 3 hots and a cot.

Plus what can the new Toyota truck do? I doubt that it could pull a dock out of the lake, through the sand, like my bud's '07 GMC can.

How is the accelerator pedal on the new Toyota truck that was designed in Cali, engineered in Michigan, and assembled in Texas?
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:19 PM   #37
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike16 View Post
Its funny you mention our military equipment being made in America. I just got back from 17 months in Iraq. Its amazing whats made elsewhere that sustains our troops. One claim is that we must support those who support our efforts over there. what total BS. Perhaps if they dont remember 1917-1918, they would remember 1941-1945. and if not that, then remeber that our markets are open to them. When our economy tanked look what happened to everybody elses. Lest they forget.
Certainly you aren't talking about the high-end tactical stuff. Get on the google and type in "ITAR". We still make stuff here, believe me. We just outsource a lot of the less complicated things.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not real happy about the outsourcing of manufacturing jobs. I don't know if I fully believe it but if you listen to the big wigs, outsourcing allows us to do more complicated things here.

The product I work on is still made here. The factory is union so unless you have 20+ years experience you don't work at this plant but to get that 20+ years you have to put in time somewhere.

How does that saying go?
"It takes 20 years to get 20 years of experience."
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote