The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2010, 10:13 AM   #26
78-5.3

Re: Junk yard fuel injection

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpjr0 View Post
do the 5.3 6.0 swap I just finish mine... more power just my .02... did my junk yard special swap and well under 1900 all finish. can beat the just over 300hp with the 22+mpg...a/c and cruise control
x2 here
Old 02-26-2010, 08:35 PM   #27
fencepost

Quote:
Originally Posted by fencepost View Post
JMO I have TBI on my 92 Z71 and I hate it, no power. I have thought more than once about swapping to Vortec heads and 600 Holley. For around $1800.00 you can go with an aftermarket TBI that looks like a Holley double pumper doesnt have to have a return line, can handle up to 4 or 500 hp and is self learning, heard lots of folks brag on them. The factory TBI is not performance friendly. Thats just me they are reliable, but that about the only nice thing I can think of.
I would like to recant this statement above as I have talked to a friend in passing the other day who installed a TBI in his 55 Chevy (which has been sold). But he explained how cheap and easy the swap was cheap and reliable being the key issues. I now beleive the TBI swap used in conjuntion with better flowing heads and better intake would be a reliable and worth while swap for someone looking for (again) reliable daily driver dependability, such as easy cold morning starts. I also was reminded of a previous 92 5-speed truck I owned that had out run some Vortec automatics and the fact that my current 94 truck has never performed to that standard, could be the 225 thousand miles have taken there tole or that the engine is just a performance dud compared to others of the same kind. Any how in closeing I WAS WRONG and now feel that the swap into a non-efi truck would be cool and beneficial. i hope my earlier statements have not discoraged anyone from doing this kind of swap.
fencepost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:58 PM   #28
Drzronnie

Unless i missed it......I didn't hear anybody refer to it a toilet bowl injection. Start one up without the air filter on and watch the throttle body while it is running.
Drzronnie is offline   Reply With Quote