The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2010, 11:30 AM   #26
crakarjax

Re: Installed a Wideband

nice bung hole!
Old 02-11-2010, 07:36 PM   #27
iceman3085

let me ask this, why do you think you need a dual sensor wideband setup, what are your target afr's for cold start, hot start, cruise, and WOT, what head unit are you using and what is your max boost with current pulley config

Last edited by iceman3085; 02-11-2010 at 07:42 PM.
iceman3085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:29 AM   #28
dznucks

Sinster, not sure of your engine set up.....what a/f ratio are you tuning too? or what have you found works best for your motor?

I am running an edelbrock on a 350 with mild cam and have it tuned pretty close to this graph that edelbrock provides. The motor is running the best it ever has, but i still feel like there is some finer tuning needed. The spot i think i need to be is in between calibration points on edelbrock's chart.
Attached Images

dznucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:49 AM   #29
Jim_PA

The JAW units already have the ability to log RPM. Gotta build it yourself, but it's a good unit. Thinking about getting a gauge and permanently mounting mine.
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:57 AM   #30
Shon

Please contact me with your WBO2 desires. I carry the AEM, Innovate, FAST set ups.

I had an Innovate set up and it was finicky about grounds but now use the AEM set up that is much more user friendly in my opinion.
I use these to tune multiple cars/trucks/jeeps/etc

I am shipping the AEM units for $225 and you just need power and a ground, once you install the WB and hook it all up its good to go.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:59 AM   #31
Sinister
Between Trucks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_PA View Post
The JAW units already have the ability to log RPM. Gotta build it yourself, but it's a good unit. Thinking about getting a gauge and permanently mounting mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznucks View Post
Sinster, not sure of your engine set up.....what a/f ratio are you tuning too? or what have you found works best for your motor?

I am running an edelbrock on a 350 with mild cam and have it tuned pretty close to this graph that edelbrock provides. The motor is running the best it ever has, but i still feel like there is some finer tuning needed. The spot i think i need to be is in between calibration points on edelbrock's chart.
The JAW has been replaced with the SLC which should be available at the end of the month. The SLC can log AFR, RPM, EGT, Boost, + 7 external 0-5v inputs. I was wanting a JAW but they weren't available. The other AFR controller, NAW only logs AFR.
dznucks, I'm running what I believe to be a fairly stock 350. Performer EPS intake, Performer 1406 carb and headers. I'm running around 14 at idle, 14.7 at cruise, 12.5 WOT. Part throttle acceleration I'm still trying to figure out. It goes to 13.5 when I press on the gas then leans out at around 15.5. Not sure if that's an ignition thing or not. Truck runs great. If you want to further fine tune you can try different jets and rods that don't come in the calibration kit.

Last edited by Sinister; 02-12-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:46 AM   #32
Jim_PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
The JAW has been replaced with the SLC which should be available at the end of the month. The SLC can log AFR, RPM, EGT, Boost, + 7 external 0-5v inputs. I was wanting a JAW but they weren't available. The other AFR controller, NAW only logs AFR.
Didn't know a new unit was coming. A little bit of website tuning would go a long way with that place.
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:11 PM   #33
dznucks

we are running the same engine setups then.......
Quote:
I'm running what I believe to be a fairly stock 350. Performer EPS intake, Performer 1406 carb and headers.
i have mine idling at 13 a/f. at cruise mine is averaging 14.7. part throttle might still be alittle rich, and WOT is at 12.5-13. on the calibration charts, i cant lean power mode out from where i am?

Does your gauge give you steady readings or does it fluctuate alittle bit?

Also, are you seeing a lean spot that you cant get rid of, just before the power mode kicks in? i am seeing a lean spike on the gauge when ever my vacuum drops below 13", just before the step up springs kick in at 8".

that rich spike you mentioned when you hit the gas.....thats you pump shot from you accel pump that is causing that. thats normal.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:23 PM   #34
Sinister
Between Trucks...

My gauge is fairly steady, it's adjustable via the controller for how fast it refreshes. The only place I'm lean is part throttle acceleration. I'm at 23 on the chart for the primaries, stock springs and 2 steps richer on the secondary jets. I tried the orange set of springs, but it made part throttle acceleration read leaner, which is kind of the opposite of what I was expecting. I'm going to drive around with a vacuum gauge hooked up and see what I get.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:23 PM   #35
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shon View Post
Please contact me with your WBO2 desires. I carry the AEM, Innovate, FAST set ups.

I had an Innovate set up and it was finicky about grounds but now use the AEM set up that is much more user friendly in my opinion.
I use these to tune multiple cars/trucks/jeeps/etc

I am shipping the AEM units for $225 and you just need power and a ground, once you install the WB and hook it all up its good to go.
What's the price shipped for dual band? (Please include model #)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznucks View Post
Hart_Rod, i just looked at your build thread.

your motor is basically my end goal for my project. The exhaust system I just installed the dual bungs in (pics above), I designed for a future motor like your setup. yes i would go with a dual O2 bung system. But like i mentioned earlier, if your running a dual plane manifold both banks are seeing "almost" identical a/f mixtures. I also have no experience with superchargers, so i may be incorrect in your case.

I am curious to know what would be the most benificial setup for your motor, which route you take, and how happy you are with the tuning capabilities the particular system gives you. keep us posted.
I'm new to the racing stuff, so I'm learning as I go. I'll post it as I learn it, .

Quote:
Hart Rod, that motor is so nice, I would run 2. It's not just for tuning, you would know instantly if you went lean for some reason so you could shut it down. About $200 more for piece of mind.
I agree. I don't mind investing and extra $200 to save a $10K motor (as long as it's necessary).

Sinister - my apologies for hijacking your thread.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:26 PM   #36
Sinister
Between Trucks...

No problem, Hart_Rod, I think we're all learning something from it.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:48 PM   #37
dznucks

Quote:
my apologies for hijacking your thread.
i think alot of people are interested in these a/f meters, but hesitant to spend the cash because there is alittle mystery behind them to most people. i am glad sinster started this thread. hopefully everyone can learn together.

I was at point 23.....22, 24, 1, 5, 4, and 21. 16 gives me the best a/f readings and the best performance. like i said, the motor has never run this good, but i can tell its not perfect. i have the heaviest springs in, to try and get over that lean spot. i think i am one stage leaner than base in the secondaries. and i got the strongest pump shot.

let me know what you readings are at part-throttle cruise, power mode, and WOT, with the engine tuned at 23.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:30 PM   #38
Sinister
Between Trucks...

dznucks, my readings are in a post above with 23 and middle hole pump shot. I'm 2 stages richer on the secondary jets. A little lean in part throttle acceleration, but my cruise AFR is good. I might try a richer pump shot and see if that helps.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:31 PM   #39
huero
1969 Short, Fleet, and Beat

Right on Sinister!
I am so tempted to get one myself.
How hard was the install and how long did it take? I already have a bung in my exhaust (no pun intended).
huero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:40 PM   #40
Sinister
Between Trucks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by huero View Post
Right on Sinister!
I am so tempted to get one myself.
How hard was the install and how long did it take? I already have a bung in my exhaust (no pun intended).
Hey heuro. Install was pretty simple. Took maybe an hour. I soldered all the connections.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:51 PM   #41
Shon

very simple, weld in O2 bung and then just connecting positive and negative.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:56 PM   #42
Sinister
Between Trucks...

Quote:
very simple, weld in O2 bung and then just connecting positive and negative.
The Innovate LC-1 with a gauge is a little more complicated, but still pretty easy.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:05 PM   #43
Shon

Quote:
The Innovate LC-1 with a gauge is a little more complicated, but still pretty easy.
I agree, that is one reason why I went to the AEM unit but I also need something I could take from vehicle to another...
Old 02-12-2010, 09:23 PM   #44
Hart_Rod

Quote:
I agree, that is one reason why I went to the AEM unit but I also need something I could take from vehicle to another...
So I would be able to move this from my 383 Vortech Supercharger truck to my 5.3 Magnacharger suburban? Any pictures of the display?
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:32 PM   #45
Shon

AEM WB info

I tried to move the Innovate unit from car to car but it is very sensitive to grounds and I wanted something easier and less complicated.
Trying to tune a customers set up needs to be less complicated. But have a buddy that tunes with a LM1/Innovate and likes it...
it's personal preference.
the FAST set up I sent you appears to be friendly as well if you dont mind that display.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:32 AM   #46
huero
1969 Short, Fleet, and Beat

Any updates Sin?
huero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:25 AM   #47
Ackattack

I have an LC-1 also. I have not hooked it up to my truck yet, but I did have it hooked up to my LS1 corvette.

I was able to tap into the ECM and run it through there, then I used my tuning software to log AFR data along with all of the other data. This enabled me to do some pretty good tuning on the car, and I was able to improve my times at the track a few tenths as well as get better mileage (12.18 @113mph while getting 33 mpg highway)

I'll do basically the same thing on my 68...just haven't gotten there yet.

I never did have a gauge, just used the readout on the laptop while logging.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:55 AM   #48
Sinister
Between Trucks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by huero View Post
Any updates Sin?
Was able to lean out my idle mixture some more. Truck is running good. Really nice to have some feedback when dialing the carb in, makes it less of a mystery. I feel like I may have gained a few mpg, which is always good.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:46 AM   #49
coloradosean2009

Quote:
Could not get any penetration trying to weld in the bung, but other then that pretty easy install.
Usually caused by bad connection at ground. Next time try isolating the weld, locating the ground closer and grinding the ground location to fresh metal.

Sean
1972 C20
2005 4Runner

coloradosean2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:55 AM   #50
Sinister
Between Trucks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradosean2009 View Post
Usually caused by bad connection at ground. Next time try isolating the weld, locating the ground closer and grinding the ground location to fresh metal.
LOL, I figured it out. I was running fluxcore wire, but had the machine setup for gas. DOH.