The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2010, 10:54 AM   #26
BigBlocksRule

Re: LT1 Option and Opinions...?

I'm lucky enough to live in the same place as Texas Speed, Scoggin-Dickey and Sunset Racecraft - I get to see a lot of serious performance. I love LS engines, but big-inch stuff is still king. 632's are the norm today, but there are still a lot of 565 - 598's being built.
The 6.2 can be stroked to 414 or 426 cubes. The heads were supposed to be for the LS-7, but they didn't get enough flow out of 'em, so the shelved 'em when they went to bigger ports and 12* valves for the LS7. The l92's were there waitin' for 'em when they got the LS cubes up to 6.2L. They have 15* valves and flow better than any of the old school big block square port heads. At any rate, those heads on a 426 with factory intake and computer and moderate cam (230's) made 625 on stock heads, picked up about 20 more with GM's CNC'd pieces. Too damned easy.
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #27
nomrlz

kids today don't know how good they got it. 500+ hp small blocks are easy. 800+hp big blocks take no thought. 400+ hp motorcycles are everywhere. here i was happy when i went my first 14 in a nova years ago
nomrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:03 AM   #28
BigBlocksRule

And to think we thought the days of muscle were over...even back in the heyday of Detroit Muscle, we didn't have anything that could even be built to hang with the likes of even a stroked 6.2. It doesn't take much to get to 600hp with an LS7, smooth idle and great mileage. Whoever said you can't have your cake and eat it, too, was dead wrong about big power and great economy with the LS engines.

OP, sorry about the derail. I'd still consider selling what you get on the trade and step up to an LS. The aftermarket is absolutely flooded with heads, cams, cranks, pretty much everything you need. Check out the carb'd intakes and MSD ignition systems, you can save yourself the wiring nightmare and end up with a very nice looking mill that'll make a good bit more power than an LT1.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:20 AM   #29
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I bought an unfinished '79 C10 with a '95 Camaro LT1 in it. The little truck seems to run out well, once we got the bugs worked out. Most of the problems I have had were from the person who did the original swap. The one nice thing about the LT1 is it is a pretty easy bolt in (especially if there is a small block already in place), and the inital buy in is pretty low.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:32 PM   #30
clinebarger

All iron head LT1s (94-96) have the updated-vented optispark. Why does every LT1 thread turn into a LS vs LT debate?
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:42 PM   #31
1sik52
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
All iron head LT1s (94-96) have the updated-vented optispark. Why does every LT1 thread turn into a LS vs LT debate?
Maybe because the title stated LT1 OPTION and OPINION and someone gave their opinion.
1sik52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:33 PM   #32
Thadious

Lol, looks like I opened up a big can of worms here!

The reason for the LT1 is that it was dropped in my lap, and a huge upgrade from my current mill. The rear end is also disc and slightly wider than a 4x4 S10 rear and a mighty bit stronger (a bonus on both accounts). LS1's around here are still pricey (around $1500 - $3000 if you want the trans too) and so it becomes costly. I'm pretty sure I can do the harness myself, so the rest is just a flash and looks like I may have to revert it back from a propane conversion, but the carbon buildup should be minimal atleast). It's got a remann'd trans in '07 and it's all from a 9C1 police package.

I'm dropping it on a 91 S10 chassis that I moved the engine mounts back 3 1/2" so it should fit pretty close with a slight change to the trans crossmember.

With the cost of it all, I shouldn't have too big of an issue parting out what's left and the old drivetrain to recover most, if not all of the costs, so not too shabby for some extra work.

Here's hoping and still waiting to hear back from the "PO"...

Cheers,
Ted.

PS You can bet I'll try to do a write up on the harness standalone cleanup and emissions removal... costs included.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.
If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you...

My new build - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...70#post8958970
Thadious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:51 PM   #33
blackdiesel

the lt's are 10x better than the the old tbi's. just like the ls's are 10x better than the lt's. technology advances and excellent motors are an awesome result of that. That being said i put a lt in my last project, but ive got an ls waiting to go in my next one...
'57 2wd change
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=speedway
blackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:14 PM   #34
nomrlz

those 10 bolts are damn strong too. it only took a few hundred launches pulling 1.69-1.72 sixties to blow out the stock aubrun posi. that is on top of all those street miles too. there are a few guys up your way on the impalass forum that could help you with parts too
Old 02-10-2010, 02:23 PM   #35
BigBlocksRule

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiesel View Post
the lt's are 10x better than the the old tbi's. just like the ls's are 10x better than the lt's. technology advances and excellent motors are an awesome result of that. That being said i put a lt in my last project, but ive got an ls waiting to go in my next one...
The LT1's are a bit better than the TBI, but 10X is a helluva stretch. Keep in mind that they were so good that they had a full THREE YEAR production run.
The LS engines are probably 10X what the old smallblock was, there are a lot of innovations there that help make power and provide reliability, many are overlooked.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:58 PM   #36
nomrlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlocksRule View Post
they were so good that they had a full THREE YEAR production run.
oh come on now. give em credit. it was 6 years
Old 05-13-2010, 04:19 PM   #37
1952ssr

As I was re-looking over sites for doing LT1 swaps I come across one that I had looked at sometime ago but, now he has decided to put tons of info onto his site for do-it-yourselfers like us. Check it out lt1swap.com I was amazed at the info he had provided.
1952ssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:23 PM   #38
65Gregg

My 96 Mastercraft Maristar has a Vette LT1 in it, it hauls butt. The harness & PCM sit on a bracket that bolts to the bell housing and has no un-needed wireing and as i recall no O2 sensors w/the "wet" exhaust. It might be worth the time to start seaching for something along those lines. The system in my boat all has Mercruiser written on it but I'm sure a lot of it is OEM type stuff. Copart.com may be a good starting point or if you have access to an insurance yard....

Blue long bed
White TBSS
61 Impala
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” Mark Twain
65Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:03 PM   #39
Thadious

In the end I decided not to go with the offer. Found that there were far too many 'issues' with the engine and drivetrain... it'd been driven hard as an ex-cop car and taxi... so just decided to pass.

However; I just picked up a 350 tbi/th700r4 combo for $50 that I'll be reworking in the fall...

Cheers,
Ted.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.
If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you...

My new build - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...70#post8958970
Thadious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:12 PM   #40
BlueJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadious View Post
In the end I decided not to go with the offer. Found that there were far too many 'issues' with the engine and drivetrain... it'd been driven hard as an ex-cop car and taxi... so just decided to pass.

However; I just picked up a 350 tbi/th700r4 combo for $50 that I'll be reworking in the fall...

Cheers,
Ted.
That's an easy swap once your 4.3 is done. You can re-use the 4.3 harness and add a couple more hot wires to the injectors. I think that is the only major difference between the 4.3 harness and the 350.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:22 PM   #41
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJeep View Post
That's an easy swap once your 4.3 is done. You can re-use the 4.3 harness and add a couple more hot wires to the injectors. I think that is the only major difference between the 4.3 harness and the 350.
If they are both TBI, you might not even need to do that. The throttle body (and injectors) should be very similar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Gregg View Post
My 96 Mastercraft Maristar has a Vette LT1 in it, it hauls butt. The harness & PCM sit on a bracket that bolts to the bell housing and has no un-needed wireing and as i recall no O2 sensors w/the "wet" exhaust. It might be worth the time to start seaching for something along those lines. The system in my boat all has Mercruiser written on it but I'm sure a lot of it is OEM type stuff. Copart.com may be a good starting point or if you have access to an insurance yard....
Could you get a picture of the ECM bracket? As sweet as mine looks zip tied to the fender, I can't help thinking I could do something nicer.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:16 PM   #42
1956chevtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadious View Post
As of recently, I've been given the option to swap the 91 4.3 Tbi (150ish HP) / TH700r4 / 7 5/8" drum rearend out of my build for a '96 LT1 (260is HP)/ 4L60-E / rear disc setup from a '96 Caprice Police car....

I know I'm looking at pulling the smog stuff (not required where I live) and reflashing the PCM to remove the antitheft stuff and will no doubt either be reworking the harness myself or picking up a plug and play one from a vendor.

Any thoughts out there, hesitation or experience otherwise?

Much appreciated,
Ted.
Hey Thadious,
I realize that this might an old thread however, I'm going to respond. I'm running a Z28 95 LT1 with a 4L60E and the rear end end out of the Z28 also in my 57 Chevy Pickup. I love it haven't had a stitch of trouble and it rune like a dream. I just realized that I live up the island from you. If you're up this way drop by and take a look.
Byron
Attached Images

1956chevtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:34 AM   #43
WIDESIDE72

I have a 55 1st series on an 85 S10 chassis that will be getting an LT1 and 4L60E from a 94 Cprice 9C1 cop car, since the 9C1 was wrecked with just a few thousand miles on the rebuilt drivetrain, otherwise I probably would have gone the LS route as well.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote