The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2010, 09:28 PM   #26
thrtsxchambers

Re: found a computer in my glove box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonaker View Post
The ESC box did so little that I wouldn't call it a computer. AFAIK, all it did was detect spark knock and retard the timing to make it go away. Trucks with CA emissions are different, though.

The fact that it has it should not worry you in the least unless NC is super strict on emissions testing like California, which I doubt.. Just run a regular HEI on the truck, and forget it is there. The VIN issue is the one you should be worried about.

Slonaker
According to my haynes manual the ESC is actually located in the engine compartment. The computer may monitor that but ESC is a seperate box apparently in the engine compartment.

Glad you found out the truck is legal. Why do you need to remove the computer? Is something on the truck not working? I'm pretty sure the computer needs to be there to control the sensors.
thrtsxchambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:04 PM   #27
1980c-10 mybaby

well the thing is its a project truck...... bought her for dirt cheap..... no motor or tranny and im not sure if the 305 board .30 over will need the ESC...... but mine is in my glove box its loose so im assuming that it could have possibly been under the dash pad i could tell work was done down there cause there where wires for subs and possibly a CB radio.... just trying to figure out what should be done about it
1980c-10 mybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:06 AM   #28
camshaftgsxr

it depends if you know anybody that'll inspect it for you my '84 only needed the safety equipment working to pass, which i fixed so it would pass only to find out the guy i went to (good guy) took my word that it was and never got within 30 feet of the truck

as for what should be done... trash it
its not responsible for the guages or anything, if you put a motor in it the works off an HEI and a carb its dead weight mine might it might not i don't know/care, but i do know that at that point emisions controls were not intergral like they are now.

Last edited by camshaftgsxr; 02-14-2010 at 12:09 AM.
camshaftgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:18 AM   #29
ortega

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortega View Post
i had one in my 85. it turned the check engine light on. it was something control solenoid on the carb. when i swapped in my 454 i took all of that stuff out with no problem
Like I said I took it out of mine when I put in my 454 and it works fine. The only thing is that I didn't remove all the wires and my check engine light stayed on.
ortega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:44 PM   #30
camshaftgsxr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortega View Post
Like I said I took it out of mine when I put in my 454 and it works fine. The only thing is that I didn't remove all the wires and my check engine light stayed on.
*cough* *cough* wire cutters.. j/k guys
camshaftgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:12 PM   #31
1980c-10 mybaby

yeah see the good thing is me and my brother can both inspect the vehicle cause we are majoring in auto motives he is in his final semester at college while i am just starting my major.... but i feel i might just leave it there and maybe just hid it under the dash so i never see it again...... was just shock to see a computer in an 1980 model vehicle
1980c-10 mybaby is offline   Reply With Quote