The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: Do you smog your classic chevy? (more than 1 choice ok)
Yes, still have too.. 1 6.25%
No, it rolled over. 14 87.50%
I ride a bike, and i do not know why im here.. 2 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 11:07 PM   #26
78 Big10 454
78 Big10 454

Re: California wants to re-instate 75&^ smog

Just shoot me and get it over with.....
Old 02-16-2010, 11:35 PM   #27
Justins76
OutOfMyMind & I'llNeverKnowWhy

Its 67-up here in parts of Arizona. All it is designed to due is raise money thru testing fees. Some day they will smog your fireplace. Guess its time to convert to electric trucks and let the coal burning power plants deal with the smogging regs.
1992 Pontiac Firebird T-Top 5.0L TBI 700R4
My cardomain page

I don't like to save, it's more fun to spend!!
Old 02-16-2010, 11:41 PM   #28
spinem
haha, ford guys...

brb, gonna go burn some trash and kill some protected fish....maybe a bird or 2.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:45 PM   #29
78 Big10 454
78 Big10 454

And perhaps wipe my back side with a spotted owl.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:50 PM   #30
menace121978

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E
MY LS SWAP/FRAME OFF BUILD BOOK

2006 TBSS way too much to list
Old 02-17-2010, 12:36 AM   #31
Damien

I heard it in one of my classes. I'll see if I can find the source. Modern cars produce less than 5% of the air pollution that a car built in 1960 will. That little tidbit is from Automotive Service Tim Gilles.
I am working on a Bachelors Degree in Automotive Engineering Technology at Minnesota State University Mankato. We do emissions and fuel economy testing. We are supposed to be getting a new building strictly for emissions testing that will include a room to measure evaporative emissions including: any hydrocarbons, fumes that come off tires, and plastic.

Last edited by Damien; 02-17-2010 at 12:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-17-2010, 12:56 AM   #32
Gregs71

2. Implement OBD-only testing for newer model-year vehicles using enhanced audits that include Remote Sensing Devices and Roadside inspections to confirm the performance of OBD only testing.

I have heard a mechanic say the gov't wants to utilize On-Star and other similar systems to constantly monitor your vehicle to make sure its factory original. If a sensor were to go out, (or an after-market part were placed on the vehicle to modify the motor) it would notify DMV who in turn would notify you to replace/repair in "xx" number of days.

Of course the technology is there its just a matter of if or when...
1987 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4
Suzuki DRZ 400s Dual Sport
1971 chevy long bed 2x4
194? Dodge 2.5 ton
1980 Chevy Cheyenne 4x4 1/2 ton I6/sm455
1989 Chevy V30 crewcab dually 454/TH400
Old 02-17-2010, 01:00 AM   #33
Rollinsqrbdy

Spinem- I can do like you and post something rude, but i aint. Nice motor hope it lasts you along time
1984 k 10 Silverado...6" lift with 38.5 super swampers
New Mexico Member
--- Member of the Square Body Club---
Old 02-17-2010, 02:59 AM   #34
spinem
haha, ford guys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregs71 View Post
2. Implement OBD-only testing for newer model-year vehicles using enhanced audits that include Remote Sensing Devices and Roadside inspections to confirm the performance of OBD only testing.

I have heard a mechanic say the gov't wants to utilize On-Star and other similar systems to constantly monitor your vehicle to make sure its factory original. If a sensor were to go out, (or an after-market part were placed on the vehicle to modify the motor) it would notify DMV who in turn would notify you to replace/repair in "xx" number of days.

pretty soon they will be installing ear tags and tracking us like polar bears....
if California ever gets to that point, i will move, and thus my income and contribution to spending (making the gov. $$ and ^ing the enconomy) will discontinue. And so begins the viscous cycle....i believe i am not the only one.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:59 AM   #35
rfmaster

In some respects I am regretful in what I have to say, but I have my believes and history is on my side.

As long as our government is administered for the good of the people, and is regulated by their will; as long as it secures to us the rights of persons and of property, liberty of conscience and of the press, it will be worth defending.
Andrew Jackson

Time to declare war on these faceless bureaucrats. This report, as well as many others 'Eco-Nazi' reports put out by this faceless bureaucratic machine is full of false, prefabricated data. It should be noted that actual data was not released along with this report (also note that they claim that registration data must be verified?).
While I have observed a handful of these old derelict trucks on So Cal roads on several occasions most of them carry Mexican Baja plates. These are junk haulers buying up second hand goods at garages and flea markets and hauling this loot down south for resale. Believe it or not re-selling second hand goods is a big business in Mexico. Some of these trucks even have dual plates (it is a matter of convenience) and yes they stink. They can care less about CA Smog laws (most of them carry little or no insurance) and mechanically unsound. Occasionally, I see roach coaches (various drive trains) lumbering along, with barely running engines or old gardeners with beaters not worth a penny! These are the offenders that this report tries to point out and reapply old smog rules to all older trucks.

So there you have it, but this time there will be no roll over and play by their rules - expect firm resistance. Some where there is/are an attorney(s) who would love to file a lawsuit (pro-bono) against these insanity and go through discovery and drudge these bureaucratic cockroaches into the light of day for everyone to see. It is time to cut down this bloated bureaucracy that does nothing, but sends jobs to China, India and else where.

My truck runs clean and I want the state of CA to stay the hell out of my exhaust pipes! Furthermore, I'll telling all my other gear head friends about this insanity.

//RF

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)
Old 02-17-2010, 03:00 AM   #36
chefmasterj

Damn I'm glad I got a '74
Old 02-17-2010, 08:59 AM   #37
raws67

Well said RF! I wonder if SEMA has got involved yet.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:09 PM   #38
Damien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregs71 View Post

He is right. This is exactly what OBD III is. It takes all of the information currently collected under the OBD II regulations and sends it to roadside stations as you drive by. Then when your O2 sensor goes out they can send you a notice so you can get it fixed right away or get a fine. This was developed a few years ago, but Onstar type systems would work just as well.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:04 PM   #39
leddzepp

Glad I have a 3/4 ton 72. Built in Fremont Calif. Never had any emissions equipment on it to begin with, therefore it cannot be required even if they try to roll back to '66. 1/2 tons might be a different story....oh well, if that happens I'll just find a way to skate around it, as will many others

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
RIP FleetsidePaul
Old 02-17-2010, 02:36 PM   #40
Damien

leddzepp, Does your truck have a PCV? That is actually an emissions control that was first implemented in CA in '61 and nationally in '63. The PCV helps engines run longer, because it pulls moisture , blow by, and corrosive gasses out of the crankcase that contaminate the oil. It also reduces vehicle emissions by 25% compared to the old Road Draft Tube system.
I'm not trying to be a jerk or be disrespectful, I'm just trying to point out that most people have emissions parts that are not thought of as emissions parts. I do agree that AIR is a bunch of crap and becoming unnecessary. The electric air pump on my '02 T/A only runs on start up and newer vehicles do not even have them. I think if new, more efficient equipment were to be used on older cars, it will run nearly as clean as the new cars. Catalytic Converters for example, The Rhodium pellet cats that most of our trucks came with were not very good. The new Platnum cats flow within a couple percent of an open pipe.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:45 PM   #41
MacAttack
283 Drama Queen

This issue - in one form or another - comes around every 18 months or so.

As long as Vic Edelbrock is alive - these "ideas" will continue to perish.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:03 PM   #42
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
leddzepp, Does your truck have a PCV? That is actually an emissions control that was first implemented in CA in '61 and nationally in '63. The PCV helps engines run longer, because it pulls moisture , blow by, and corrosive gasses out of the crankcase that contaminate the oil. It also reduces vehicle emissions by 25% compared to the old Road Draft Tube system.
I'm not trying to be a jerk or be disrespectful, I'm just trying to point out that most people have emissions parts that are not thought of as emissions parts. I do agree that AIR is a bunch of crap and becoming unnecessary. The electric air pump on my '02 T/A only runs on start up and newer vehicles do not even have them. I think if new, more efficient equipment were to be used on older cars, it will run nearly as clean as the new cars. Catalytic Converters for example, The Rhodium pellet cats that most of our trucks came with were not very good. The new Platnum cats flow within a couple percent of an open pipe.
I have PCV on every one of my vehicles. I am well aware of what it does, but I agree when you say that it is not thought of as an emissions control. I look at it as a way to keep my engine compartment clean. I would put one on a vehicle even if it was not required, just for that reason alone. When I talk of emissions controls I am talking about having to take your vehicle in for an inspection. My 3/4 ton has never had a smog inspection from day 1. It has factory dual exhaust, no catalytic convertors, no smog pump, no charcoal canister. My point is that it cannot be subjected to a test that was never required to begin with.

I know that newer vehicles put out far, far less pollutants than older vehicles....but they still put them out don't they?? Therefore they are not cleaning the air, they are just polluting it to a lesser extent.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
RIP FleetsidePaul
Old 02-17-2010, 03:14 PM   #43
Farbie

This would be in line with the Vehicle License Fee that raised our registration in Cali in the first place (which is supposed to raise money for our coffiers). Extra money spent from shrinking wages and jobless rates out the window....Thank you Governator for that.... Wait the same guy also signed the bill to stop dredging in a state that was founded on GOLD MINING! What side of the fence is he really on here.....That is another subject Sorry...he's out any way you look at it.
I feel that the auto restoration folks will push hard to not have this happen. Like the Cash For Clunkers that exempted obvious "gross polluters" that are being turned around to breathe new life on the highway, with something better than was in them before....
"I don't care about pollution I'm an air conditioned gypsy. That's my solution, let the police and the tax man get me. I'm mobile!"
Old 02-17-2010, 03:41 PM   #44
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farbie View Post
"I don't care about pollution I'm an air conditioned gypsy. That's my solution, let the police and the tax man miss me. I'm mobile!"
Right on, another Who fan!

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
RIP FleetsidePaul
Old 02-17-2010, 03:41 PM   #45
spinem
haha, ford guys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Glad I have a 3/4 ton 72. Built in Fremont Calif. Never had any emissions equipment on it to begin with, therefore it cannot be required even if they try to roll back to '66. 1/2 tons might be a different story....oh well, if that happens I'll just find a way to skate around it, as will many others
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefmasterj View Post
Damn I'm glad I got a '74
your 72 came with the different quadrabog, in 73 the installed the air schavange off the collector all the way to 74.... 74 was prodiced with 1/2 collector schavange and 1/2 header schavange.

if this is to pass, both the the 72 & 74 will need to be smogged.... i too own a 74, it has collector schavange.......well... had. if this passes, all once exempt trucks will be required to pass smog, unless your are able to get a historical vehicle title.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:53 PM   #46
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinem View Post
your 72 came with the different quadrabog, in 73 the installed the air schavange off the collector all the way to 74.... 74 was prodiced with 1/2 collector schavange and 1/2 header schavange.

if this is to pass, both the the 72 & 74 will need to be smogged.... i too own a 74, it has collector schavange.......well... had. if this passes, all once exempt trucks will be required to pass smog, unless your are able to get a historical vehicle title.
My 72 3/4 ton will never have to take an emissions test. It was built and registered here in California and has never, at any point in time taken an emissions test. 3/4 ton is a whole different ballgame than 1/2 ton. If this "talk" ever comes to fruition (which it more than likely won't) my 72 1/2 ton would be subjected to a smog inspection.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
RIP FleetsidePaul
Old 02-17-2010, 04:02 PM   #47
dmnall

If this passes, I will be out of California *anywhere would be better if this law passes*.. This is going to make it harder for any aftermarket company to survive as well as the kick ass classic cars and trucks will be thwarted to be back off the road because I hate to say it none of them will pass unless they have modern engines with Cats.. Luckily my 68s never had cats but it would still suck to have to smog them annually...

Cheers,
Charlie
2008 Honda Civic Si *lease*
Old 02-17-2010, 05:17 PM   #48
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
My 72 3/4 ton will never have to take an emissions test. It was built and registered here in California and has never, at any point in time taken an emissions test. 3/4 ton is a whole different ballgame than 1/2 ton.
I was not aware of that.... was not worried about my K20 anyway, I'm in a smog-exempt county.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 02-17-2010, 05:21 PM   #49
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
I was not aware of that.... was not worried about my K20 anyway, I'm in a smog-exempt county.
I noticed you have had your K/20 since the 70's. Did you ever have to get an emissions test on it back in the day?

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
RIP FleetsidePaul

Last edited by leddzepp; 02-17-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:34 PM   #50
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

It may have been smogged by the dealership I bought it from in the spring of 1977. I've never kept up on state smog laws, but the dealership is in a county that requires smog checks.

I have never had it smogged... it's only required here when the vehicle is re-titled (bought/sold).

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Closed Thread