The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #26
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: dantes peak movie suburban

I always loved that movie. That classic dash is way cool!

So these companies you list as sponsors, they gave you stuff for the tribute?

Cool project! I remember seeing something on it on CK5
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #27
MetroDPS

In regards to the auto hubs in normal use they are ok. We are located in South Western Colorado and the snow can get pretty deep up here at 8,900 feet. Also if you have ever been stuck with auto hubs you know it can be hard to back up to engage them. In Ohio and other flat areas where civilization is close you don't have to worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
I always loved that movie. That classic dash is way cool!

So these companies you list as sponsors, they gave you stuff for the tribute?

Cool project! I remember seeing something on it on CK5

Yes the companies listed as sponsors donated their products for promotional consideration. Contributors are companies that provided at reduced cost.

Now before every one goes chasing after sponsors let me explain you can't just go say give me stuff. It don't work that way! I have a past relationship with corporate sponsorships and reviews. For a company to do this it has to be in their best interest.

You have to write a proposal and explain how it benefits them and what you will do for them in return.

For example the paint materials retail value was almost $1,880.00. I have used Martin Senour paints on other vehicles I have been involved with in the past.
MetroDPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:11 PM   #28
DirtyLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroDPS View Post
Yes the companies listed as sponsors donated their products for promotional consideration. Contributors are companies that provided at reduced cost.

Now before every one goes chasing after sponsors let me explain you can't just go say give me stuff. It don't work that way! I have a past relationship with corporate sponsorships and reviews. For a company to do this it has to be in their best interest.

You have to write a proposal and explain how it benefits them and what you will do for them in return.

For example the paint materials retail value was almost $1,880.00. I have used Martin Senour paints on other vehicles I have been involved with in the past.
So, basically you are building your dream truck on other people’s money because you write a review or mention them on Facebook and some piece of paper you pass out at a car show, right? I’ve bought parts from General Motors, Napa, Summit, etc. for the last 20+ years and they don’t give me anything but a hard time when it comes time to warranty something? I must be doing it wrong

Hmmm….. This Dante Burb sounds almost like that “Colorado Trail Clean Up” truck that was going around CK5 a few years ago built on freebies and discounted parts because he was doing such a Go-Green Bunny Hugging service as an excuse to build a truck and go wheeling while picking up trash along the way (like any other responsible wheeler) only to eventually sell the truck at a profit when he broke it and couldn’t afford to fix it. He must have cashed in all of his sponsors??? Not sure I believe (or understand) those type builds. I’ll stick with my sponsor being my job and American Express, which gets paid off each month. Then in the end….I can say it was all my doings and don’t have to give credit to anybody even if a built takes 20 years

Last edited by DirtyLarry; 11-11-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:03 AM   #29
MetroDPS

Exclamation Re: dantes peak movie suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
So, basically you are building your dream truck on other people’s money because you write a review or mention them on Facebook and some piece of paper you pass out at a car show, right? I’ve bought parts from General Motors, Napa, Summit, etc. for the last 20+ years and they don’t give me anything but a hard time when it comes time to warranty something? I must be doing it wrong

Hmmm….. This Dante Burb sounds almost like that “Colorado Trail Clean Up” truck that was going around CK5 a few years ago built on freebies and discounted parts because he was doing such a Go-Green Bunny Hugging service as an excuse to build a truck and go wheeling while picking up trash along the way (like any other responsible wheeler) only to eventually sell the truck at a profit when he broke it and couldn’t afford to fix it. He must have cashed in all of his sponsors??? Not sure I believe (or understand) those type builds. I’ll stick with my sponsor being my job and American Express, which gets paid off each month. Then in the end….I can say it was all my doings and don’t have to give credit to anybody even if a built takes 20 years

First of all Larry let me say this you do not know me or any thing about me. I came here to share some thing that quite a few people seem to like! Nothing is 100% free and I have made agreements with the sponsors and if I breach those I have to answer for it. You seem to think that this build is a feel good toy so I can play project.

Let me explain I have several Blazers and other trail toys. You say you have bought from venders for many years and they did not give you any thing. I can see why with an attitude like what your typed words portray. I have read off road magazines for thirty plus years and got plenty from them. I read about other places and peoples rides. I got an education from the articles.

If you were at ck5 and are no longer there that says a lot about you too!

People who buy a ticket to a move are buying a little escape from their daily life. You play a video game you are immersed in a different world for a little while. Every one has dreams in life and many expedition rigs have been built with the owner having said they were inspired from the Dante's Peak suburban.

In your words I gather you tend to not being a team type player. For 20 years I put on a uniform and walked out the door each night not knowing if I would come home again. When people were running away from some thing I was one of those who ran towards it! I have seen what people do to each other and their own flesh and blood! I carry a bullet in me each day as a reminder of the price I was willing to pay for people.

You sir have the right to your opinion and have made it clear. Thanks for looking.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:00 AM   #30
woodwright
Enjoying left field

The scene where they're at the grandma's cabin and the lava comes through the wall and they escape across the lake was filmed here outside of Sandpoint.

70 Chevy 4WD "Ultimate Work Truck" SOLD
woodwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:48 AM   #31
MetroDPS

I will post more on this build if you guys want to hear more and know what is going on. I do not want to be posting if it offends any one. I have a facebook page set up if you would like to follow it.

Any way I hope you all have a good holiday.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #32
Jeepwm69

I like the project. Off topic, but I wish ConnFerr still made stuff. The old Jeep CJ shackles they made were great, and while you can get similar ones, they just aren't quite the same.
Jeepwm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:52 PM   #33
Nodnarb76

Any updates?
I'm the only person in the world without a Facebook account.

1987 R20 Suburban LQ4/4L80e swap: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=693824
Nodnarb76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:50 PM   #34
nekkidhillbilly
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodnarb76 View Post
Any updates?
no your not
nekkidhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:13 PM   #35
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Quote:
First of all Larry let me say this you do not know me or any thing about me. I came here to share some thing that quite a few people seem to like! Nothing is 100% free and I have made agreements with the sponsors and if I breach those I have to answer for it. You seem to think that this build is a feel good toy so I can play project.

Let me explain I have several Blazers and other trail toys. You say you have bought from venders for many years and they did not give you any thing. I can see why with an attitude like what your typed words portray. I have read off road magazines for thirty plus years and got plenty from them. I read about other places and peoples rides. I got an education from the articles.

If you were at ck5 and are no longer there that says a lot about you too!

People who buy a ticket to a move are buying a little escape from their daily life. You play a video game you are immersed in a different world for a little while. Every one has dreams in life and many expedition rigs have been built with the owner having said they were inspired from the Dante's Peak suburban.

In your words I gather you tend to not being a team type player. For 20 years I put on a uniform and walked out the door each night not knowing if I would come home again. When people were running away from some thing I was one of those who ran towards it! I have seen what people do to each other and their own flesh and blood! I carry a bullet in me each day as a reminder of the price I was willing to pay for people.

You sir have the right to your opinion and have made it clear. Thanks for looking.

I find this post ironic considering he's selling t-shirts and USGS marker and taking donations on his website. It's ok to blast Larry about questioning motives and then put up an online store to actively get more people to help pay for his project? If the project was to be sold at the end for a charity to raise money that would be one thing. No where have I read or seen anything to indicate that it's nothing more that a personal project with the theme of Dante's Peak.

So if I donate money am I getting part of the Burb? What about if you sell it? I get the price you paid being in law enforcement and can appreciate what you've done for your community. But nobody asked you to build this rig but you. So to see the requests for parts, donated services and money without any charitable end game (other than getting your personal rig built) leads to questions like Larry brought up. I have to say I've got the same questions.

If I'm wrong, I don't mind being corrected.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:42 PM   #36
woodwright
Enjoying left field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodnarb76 View Post
Any updates?
You're not missing much. Nosey bunch of bastards on there.

70 Chevy 4WD "Ultimate Work Truck" SOLD
woodwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:01 PM   #37
MetroDPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomad75 View Post
I find this post ironic considering he's selling t-shirts and USGS marker and taking donations on his website. It's ok to blast Larry about questioning motives and then put up an online store to actively get more people to help pay for his project? If the project was to be sold at the end for a charity to raise money that would be one thing. No where have I read or seen anything to indicate that it's nothing more that a personal project with the theme of Dante's Peak.

So if I donate money am I getting part of the Burb? What about if you sell it? I get the price you paid being in law enforcement and can appreciate what you've done for your community. But nobody asked you to build this rig but you. So to see the requests for parts, donated services and money without any charitable end game (other than getting your personal rig built) leads to questions like Larry brought up. I have to say I've got the same questions.

If I'm wrong, I don't mind being corrected.
In response to the donate question. The option is there if a person wants to help in the operation of the truck. That money goes to material for Tread Lightly tools and event with the truck. In donating your buying the dream and being able to say you were part of making a movie vehicle happen. Some people smoke and have nothing to show for their money. Here a person can throw a buck and say "See that I helped make that happen." No one is holding a gun to any one to donate a $1.00.

I am sorry you were not given a Press Release on this. In the release that was sent to people involved, companies and the press it states....

"Once completed the vehicle will be driven to Wallace, Idaho the town portrayed as Dante’s Peak for their Depot Days May 9 & 10, 2014. After that it will be utilized around the Ouray, Colorado and Moab, Utah area where many Off Road enthusiasts come to travel the many trails. Where we will use the vehicle to promote the TREAD Lightly philosophy to encourage proper stewardship of our Public Lands.

When you do a Google search "Dante's peak suburban" Coloradok5.com is the first one it shows and in the images we are also in the forefront.

With many off road enthusiast experiencing the miles of trails both here and in Moab (three hours away). We will use the truck to educate and promote better stewardship of our public lands."

If you have any other question PM me and I am happy to answer them.

Here are a few pictures taken Thursday as we are finishing the project. The roof rack, snorkel and outter edge of brush guards are still to be applied.

The tire company only had four tires in stock. The fifth one is due in the next week.

Last edited by MetroDPS; 04-27-2014 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:02 PM   #38
K5owner

I have felt the same way about this build as Larry and zoomad but kept it to myself. I have followed the build for several years over at another forum and I always was left thinking why is this member asking for handouts for his own personal build? I actually take offense to the fact that you bring up your LEO service and disability as a means to somehow defend or rationalize your actions is deplorable. I mean why even bring it up? By the way you are not the only one with service to your country here but many don't feel the need to advertise it. Disgusting
K5owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:26 PM   #39
bojak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekkidhillbilly View Post
no your not
bojak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:02 PM   #40
MetroDPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5owner View Post
I have felt the same way about this build as Larry and zoomad but kept it to myself. I have followed the build for several years over at another forum and I always was left thinking why is this member asking for handouts for his own personal build? I actually take offense to the fact that you bring up your LEO service and disability as a means to somehow defend or rationalize your actions is deplorable. I mean why even bring it up? By the way you are not the only one with service to your country here but many don't feel the need to advertise it. Disgusting
Quote:
That was directed at Larry as to the bigger picture of life in general. Some people complain about any thing they can. Others step up and do what it takes. As for your comment "I have followed the build for several years over at another forum " that statement is incorrect! This build started in May 2013.

As for Zoomad saying " So to see the requests for parts, donated services and money without any charitable end game (other than getting your personal rig built) leads to questions like Larry brought up. I have to say I've got the same questions. "

I find it funny that he is Larry's friend and to use his own words... got parts and donated services from others to be funny. The internet is a life time...

------------------------
You’ll see a reoccurring theme here with a particular cohort in crime of mine, my buddy Larry. You see, he and I went to college together and held similar career paths leaving our little town of Pueblo, CO for the motor city. I wasn’t into the 4wd side as much in college as I was more into going fast back then. Working with Larry professionally and personally

I swapped out the teeny Grant Steering wheel that came on it for a leather wrapped stock chevy truck wheel from a 93 S10 that my Dad had at the time. It got driven in this form to work out the kinks and see what kind of reliability it had. That brings up another theme of this build, being hand-me-down’s from others projects or garages. This truck has always been under a tight budget. So I’ve done a lot of junkyard scrounging, time saving up and the goodwill of friends that have helped with parts and time too.

My Dad gave me the GM sized Pioneer radio/cd unit that he took out of his 93 S10 but I didn’t want to mount it in the dash.

The tires were rectified with a set of 33” Kelly tires that Larry used to have on the K10 and didn’t need anymore…….The 33’s fit with no lift and did ok if it was dry. They flat sucked if it was muddy, but they were free and Larry warned me about the crappy mud performance.

I got a deal on a clutch through the shop, resurfaced an extra flywheel Larry gave me..

There are some perks to working at a dealership for sure. I’ve acquired a used 5.3L vortec engine after a customer had us install a GM Performance crate engine into his 2002 Silverado.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...87&postcount=1

response to Larry:
Dude, you've always been involved in some way shape or form. It's been a riot to wrench together, wheel together and share a beer or two. 10 years is a long time for sure. I wouldn't have got into the 4wd thing if it wasn't for you.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...15&postcount=8

Fast forward a couple of weeks to today. He had me take his Mom's 08 Silverado up to my dealer to do the brakes and replace the front hubs for him. So I brought the truck back tonight and he motions me into the garage to check something out. We just installed a complete 2.5" exhaust system from Eckler's late great Chevy last week on his 63 Impala SS 'vert so I figured it was something about it. Nope, he's got a complete intake manifold for a 5.3 he found for me. He said it's an early birthday gift. I about fell over. He ran into somebody that wrecked a 99 Silverado and was parting it out. So he snagged it for cheap with the mechanical throttle body, fuel rails and injectors, bolts, the whole ball of wax.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...7&postcount=11

So the parts collection is moving right along when I got a text at work. It was
Larry: Do you have a flywheel yet?
Me: No, but I was going to order one in the next couple of days.
Larry: How would you like an auto with OD instead? Specifically a OD in a 91 K5 body?
Me: Damn you Larry!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...5&postcount=21

The nice thing is the ’91 is free after you sell the other ’89-’91 front clip you have

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...3&postcount=23
------------------------
So all I see is pots calling the kettle black. But I enjoy your attempts to get under my skin. Try Pirate some time!
Old 04-27-2014, 10:29 PM   #41
Nodnarb76

Great looking burb.
The Dante's Peak suburban made me want a suburban the moment I saw it cross the river!

1987 R20 Suburban LQ4/4L80e swap: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=693824
Nodnarb76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:43 PM   #42
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Here's how I feel. I love the fact you send me a private message on this issue and then in the same stroke post it publicly. You see here there is a fundamental difference between you and I (and Larry by extension). Yes I've been blessed in life. I've got good friends and happen to work in the industry that I also enjoy as my hobby. You see, I've never-ever posted for somebody or some company to GIVE me anything for my build.

Go ahead, spend another 2 months looking for a post of mine to prove me wrong. Fact is you won't find it. Yes, I've been given things, or used cast-offs from other projects or customer's vehicles that otherwise would have been thrown away or recycled. Call it a perk of working in the automotive industry. All my buddies are gearheads in one way shape or form. So you want to take a post of mine, chop it up and post it out of context to prove your point.

For example, the intake my buddy John found for me. A friend of mine for few years now, who's son and mine are best buds and normally inseparable. We have a certain kinship with similar upbringing and Father's with a knack for holding onto special old Chevies for a very long time. He's a busy professional that doesn't have a lot of free time for wrenching on his Dad's 63 Impala SS 'vert. I offered my services at the dealership and we've done a lot a work to make his prized heirloom more of a pleasure to drive. One to drive to remember his Dad who he lost to Cancer last year suddenly. You want to bash him for being nice to a friend for helping my project along. As my post said we had a lot of time to talk on that day long wheeling trip and he saw I had a need and wanted to help. Nothing solicited. Just a friend helping another friend. You try to equate it to your project and failed. Apples and oranges dude.

I'm not going back to defend every one of my posts. I don't need to. All anybody has to do is follow the links you provided and they can see for themselves. The bottom line is, I don't do things your way and don't plan to. I know disabilities too you see. I live every day with the fact that my wife has MS. She hasn't been able to work for 5 years now and won't be able to. So my growing family's income got cut in half or better when she stopped working. My build has been slow for a reason...Money. My family comes first and I've got to pay the bills. The projects come a distant second. Have I gone out to solicit others via the web to fund my project? NO. Have my friends helped me, sure. Have I made due with things others have cast off vs buying new? Yes. Again, it's part of being frugal and making due with what you got. Have I ever posted about my wife's situation before? No, it didn't need to be said until you popped off. I felt it needed to be said to put some perspective on the the whole deal. It won't be mentioned again because frankly it's nobody's friggen business but my own.

So you go ahead with your need to feel high and mighty over this. Good luck with everything.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:02 PM   #43
MetroDPS

OK I never came here asking you or any one else to donate or give me any thing! Since I question who really is this "K5owner". I will simple say this as far as I am concerned the modes can delete all my post and you three can go to where ever you want.

You three seem to want to be top dogs so go ahead. I am gone and you can...

I will leave you with this..... the sponsors would not of donated to this project if it were just a "personal build". They see the whole picture and application of the vehicle.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:59 PM   #44
Zoomad75
K5Camper

WOW....Just checked out your facebook page. You took the time to post your response over there too. Nice. Obviously your defensiveness indicates something. What that is I'll let you decide. So you didn't actively ask for help on this website, but you did on CK5 and on facebook. You posted about your website which WAS taking active donations and selling t-shirts for the upcoming event. So you tell me how you were not asking for donations again? Obviously, your low post count here would indicate you were trying to spread the word and gain a base for more donations and help. Trolling one might call it..

You now put this under the "tread lightly" campaign? Until you just posted that here I wouldn't have known that. Mind you most responsible off-road folks also share the same mindset to keep our trails open, they didn't solicit sponsors to build their rigs to spread the "tread lightly" mantra.

That being said, looking at the Tread lightly website http://treadlightly.org/ and searching for "dante's peak" I found nothing. Not one blip or blurb that your build is officially part of their organization. No sponsorship, no build report, no press release, nothing.

Go on. Nobody is stopping you. You feel justified to rip, slam, slander anybody that questions your motives. I guess you got to do whatever you can to justify things to yourself.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:41 AM   #45
K5owner

Quote:
OK I never came here asking you or any one else to donate or give me any thing! Since I question who really is this "K5owner". I will simple say this as far as I am concerned the modes can delete all my post and you three can go to where ever you want.
I basically said it rubs me the wrong way to watch your build but have yet to comment on it here or on ck because that isn't my place to or style.

However what I will say and what I do take exception to is you bringing your service into the discussion as a way to (IMHO) deflect or substantiate your looking for a donation. (FB and CK5) That I do have a problem with as I have many fellow co-workers as well as friends who are without limbs and other serious medical ailments not asking for anything or trying to use their service to get a freebee or asking for donations for a personal build. As far as the length of time you have been working on this vehicle I have been a member for a little awhile on CK (4 years) and even though it has been almost a year since you started your build thread you were discussing interest in it for some time before that if I recall correctly.

As stated before and I have read through most if not all of the 310 posts and 31 pages of your build over there but this is the first time I have ever heard of any kind of public stewardship awareness campaign let alone a thread lightly philosophy that this rig was intended for. It certainly didn't start out that way as post number one makes NO mention of it. Now the companies you may have received sponsorship or donations from may have stipulated that in order for you to get the parts or labor but you never said that was the intent of your build initially. So go spin it however you would like. Now off the top of my head just recently you have asked other members who are frequenting a salvage yard to get you something for your suburban tailgate under the pretense that you have a tight budget. Now since most members over there are good people as they are here and just act with kindness they usually "donate" it to you. Some people would and do see that as playing on people's kindness. That isn't my place to judge and i will leave my opinion of that out but it is your mention of "For 20 years I put on a uniform and walked out the door each night not knowing if I would come home again. When people were running away from some thing I was one of those who ran towards it! I have seen what people do to each other and their own flesh and blood! I carry a bullet in me each day as a reminder of the price I was willing to pay for people." I don't think it is right and it comes across as though you appear to be using your service as a crutch or as a fall back position as to why you are doing what you are doing. That I will call you out on. Too many men and women who are better then you or I have never used that excuse and that is what I have taken issue with.

Last edited by K5owner; 04-28-2014 at 01:54 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:50 AM   #46
DirtyLarry

Well said K5owner. That is my exact issue as well. Interesting fact that after I posted my concerns here on 11-11-13 Metrodps posted my comments from this thread over to CK5 to get his cronies rallied up then said I posted it on his Facebook page. That was not the case. Even though I don’t agree with his build process I would not post bomb his FB page. He later edited his post to remove that part but not before warning me that if something happens to his Burb he would give my name to the police first . Seriously, like I am the type of guy to engage in criminal activity and property damage . It gets interesting on page 2.

I also found it interesting that people that tend to agree with me sent me PM’s and emails and didn’t want to go on record in public forum. Many of them were mods, vendors and people that had met him at a past Blazer Bash and agreed it is a freeloader project pulled by the heartstrings of generous people and organizations due to his law enforcement officer line of duty related disabilities.

I have all the respect in the world for people in uniform especially those that are injured in the line of duty protecting our country or an officer protecting his community. BUT, that does not justify what is going on here. To me this would be a more heartwarming and honorable build if the truck were to be auctioned off at the end where the proceeds would be given to the families of fallen officers. This is not that kind of build. It is a personal gain build based on the fact the world owes him something for his service related injuries and that is where I have an issue with all of this. One of my best friends has been a paraplegic since he was a child and he does not expect anything from anybody. Hell, he won’t even park in the handicap spots at the store. He always says he passes those spots for people that need them. We all know countless veterans in the same boat and they don’t ask for anything.

I like the Burb, I like the idea....I don't agree the build process and the bragging of free parts that has gone on in various threads.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:17 PM   #47
ClassicDashJJ

I'm going to chime in here for a minute...

As a sponsor for the dash on this build, I approached metrodps on another forum (CK5), and I offered the dash kit to him and even though he was reluctant at first I sent it to him anyways. He is not a freeloader by any means, he is a honest person living an honest life. He has asked for help getting parts and has offered to pay numerous people for the said parts due to the fact that his closest junkyard is 60+ miles one way. Most of the people have said don't worry about the cost it's on me or something along those lines.

A company will sponsor a build not to help someone, okay to help someone is one way to put it, but more for the media coverage that is provided during the build and after the build is completed in ways of car shows and any other events that the vehicle will be featured in.

I got an email from metrodps this morning stating he was going to give the dash back because he was tired of the way that people were reacting to the sponsorship. Never in a million years have I ever though or have i seen this happen where one person acquires a sponsored part and two or three guys come in and start complaining about it.

Larry, I used to have a tremendous amount of respect for you on CK5, now I have absolutely none what so ever for you. You sir have single handedly ruined what could have been and was a great build. thank you for that, because I guess when you don't get the free stuff or discounted stuff your first instinct is to complain about it. if you can guess what i'm getting at here is, please grow up about the situation and leave it alone.
ClassicDashJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:44 PM   #48
K5owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicDashJJ View Post
I'm going to chime in here for a minute...

As a sponsor for the dash on this build, I approached metrodps on another forum (CK5), and I offered the dash kit to him and even though he was reluctant at first I sent it to him anyways. He is not a freeloader by any means, he is a honest person living an honest life. He has asked for help getting parts and has offered to pay numerous people for the said parts due to the fact that his closest junkyard is 60+ miles one way. Most of the people have said don't worry about the cost it's on me or something along those lines.

A company will sponsor a build not to help someone, okay to help someone is one way to put it, but more for the media coverage that is provided during the build and after the build is completed in ways of car shows and any other events that the vehicle will be featured in.

I got an email from metrodps this morning stating he was going to give the dash back because he was tired of the way that people were reacting to the sponsorship. Never in a million years have I ever though or have i seen this happen where one person acquires a sponsored part and two or three guys come in and start complaining about it.

Larry, I used to have a tremendous amount of respect for you on CK5, now I have absolutely none what so ever for you. You sir have single handedly ruined what could have been and was a great build. thank you for that, because I guess when you don't get the free stuff or discounted stuff your first instinct is to complain about it. if you can guess what i'm getting at here is, please grow up about the situation and leave it alone.

Go back a reread what my issue with him is. It wasn't until he referenced his disability in this thread here when nobody asked him about it and there was no cause for him to do so that I had a problem with him. I have a big problem with people who reference or use their injuries as a excuse for a donation. that because I work with on a daily basis people with major battle field injuries who don't use their service injuries to get preferential treatment in life. It is disrespectful and on the same level as those who claim to be war hero or navy seals and never were. It burns me up. I don't particularly care how he gets his build accomplished as that is his business but I will call into question someone's integrity when it comes across as though they are taking advantage of others kindness and using a disability to do so. If you vouch for him and say he is a stand up guy then I will take your word for it and leave it alone.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:45 PM   #49
bnoon

If someone serves my country in any capacity, they deserve our debt of gratitude, injured or not. If someone is disabled, they can choose to share it, or not... THEIR CHOICE. If someone wants to send someone else free parts... THEIR CHOICE. If someone else wants to ***** about it... THEIR CHOICE. Oh rats... well, two outta three ain't bad.

Still a very cool build.
bnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:19 PM   #50
TwoFiftyShifter

What would Rodney King say?