The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-20-2010, 09:47 PM   #26
leddzepp

Re: Would you buy this truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72lb4x4 View Post
That was helpful... Why post when you have nothing to offer?
I think it is very helpful and saving him from a huge headache.

Why do you feel it necessary to judge my opinion?

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:08 AM   #27
70monte

I have been to both states DMV websites and OK says that a bill of sale will not suffice to get a vehicle registered and MO's is along the same lines.

The guy has already said he is not messing with the truck anymore. He has it written on the windshield that the truck has no title and is for parts only. He has no interest in trying to get the title. I don't know if he tried and decided it was too much trouble or he doesn't want to spend the money to go through one of those title companies.

I'm going to call the DMV and see what info they can give me. Thanks.

Wayne
70monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:02 AM   #28
Quackaddict
"Hooked on Quack"

I kind of agree with Zepp, without a title it really isn't more than a parts truck. Here in TX it is way more complicated without a title, which is why everytime I look for a truck if it says bill of sale I roll on, there are too many trucks out there with titles. The $250-$300 in fees just to get a title could be used on upgrades
Quackaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:25 PM   #29
70monte

Here are a few pics I just took of the truck with my phone.

Four of the pics show the only rust on the truck. The guy who is selling the truck had a friend at the truck who was able to let me hear it run. It started up easily but didn't want to stay running at first. The carb has been rebuilt but I discovered a couple of cracked vacumn lines and one that wasn't hooked up to anything so it wouldn't idle very well. The engine did sound strong with no unusual noises and had good pressure coming out of the tail pipes. The driver's side exhaust manifold was cracked so it had a slight exhaust leak there.

The guy there called the owner and the owner's bottom dollar for the truck is $1,400

The grill and AC condensor is missing from hitting something and the passenger fender above the marker light is dented slightly. It does have a slight dent on the passenger side lower door and one on the top edge of the passenger side bed. I'm still undecided at this point whether to mess with the truck or not. The only pluses for me are that its very rust free for this area, it has the factory big block in it, and the price is very good for what I've looked at so far. The biggest negative or course is no title and I don't know how hard it will be to get another one.

Wayne
Old 05-31-2010, 05:31 PM   #30
70monte

The guy must have sold it. I went on vacation and when I got back, it was gone. There will be others.

Wayne
Old 06-01-2010, 03:23 AM   #31
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

I'm sure you'll find one with less strings attached, there are alot of them out there. Good luck in your hunting.
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:08 AM   #32
DorianB

I know it's tough, but remember there's lots more out there
Like Jac said, this one had a lot of strings involved!
DorianB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:42 PM   #33
primetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72lb4x4 View Post
That was helpful... Why post when you have nothing to offer?

To the PO, you may want to find the web sites for the OK, and MO DMVs and start digging for info. Its up to the state how a title is reissued so opinions from anyone with experience in another state are meaningless.
i think the info he offered you was right on the money. the guy you want to buy this truck from has 'owned' it for 4 years and never tried to get it titled? why is that? you will go through all the hassle he did plus adding on to getting it unriveled from his name as well.
when i bought my 77, i at least new the where abouts of the 2 previous owners. i did alot of leg-work including getting one of the guys to sign a power-of-attorney(so that i can sign in his place as buyer and seller)

im proud to say that i now have my truck titled in my name, so it is possible. but be prepared to spend alot on fines,fees,copys ect.. and if you aren't prepared to go through it... no title = parts truck
1977 Chevy nova (first car/ first love)
primetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:54 PM   #34
primetime

i apologize, i'm sooo late to this conversation and the guy had already sold it. BUT... when you do find that truck you are looking for, hopefully you won't have to go through all i did to get the title in your hands AND in your name.
1977 Chevy nova (first car/ first love)
primetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:42 PM   #35
70monte

I'll find one someday. I want a truck with the factory big block and one that is relatively rust free but I don't think too many of those exist around here. Thanks.

Wayne
Old 06-01-2010, 08:50 PM   #36
darush01

it sounds a little strange but what I did with my 86 swb was got the truck frm junk yard with bill of sale and bought a pos for little of nothing and put the two trucks together using the title an vin plate from the junker for the decent truck with no title tht eas in ky idk about mo
darush01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:56 PM   #37
70monte

I thought about that but I didn't know if it was legal or not. I had a chance to buy a rusted out 72 custom camper model with a good title but no motor or tranny about two months ago for $350. I should have bought it and this one and tried doing what you did. Oh well, I'll just keep looking.

Wayne
Old 06-02-2010, 01:35 AM   #38
my1st69

check this out
http://springfield.craigslist.org/cto/1770476837.html

and this
http://joplin.craigslist.org/cto/1768394860.html

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/pts/1766661534.html

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/pts/1765390681.html
here som e check more they are there
my1st69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:22 AM   #39
70monte

Thanks for the links. I actually saw those posts but I don't think I want to mess around with the one with no title since its the same situation as the truck I posted about and its not that desirable of a truck. Thanks again.

Wayne
Old 06-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #40
scottrod71

I'd be very careful. Here is my horror story...

I had a good title on my '69 when I bought it but my state (Kansas) refused to title it since someone had removed and reinstalled the vin tag during paint. Even though it had been titled in 2 states since the paint work, they made me get a quiet title. That means I had to file suit to contact every known prior owner and give them the opportunity to dispute my ownership. It took 4 months and close to $1,000 but they finally issued me a clear title. Not sure what would have happened if any of them said it was their truck. In your case, that could happen so beware.
scottrod71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:01 PM   #41
Tynee
I miss this truck.

Too bad that truck had the baggage it did. There may be a lot of trucks out there, but I'd be willing to bet that there aren't THAT many C20 Custom Campers with factory big block and factory (I assume?) air.

Oh well, you were wise to take your time and not get in a rush. It may have been ok in the end if you'd just given him the $1400 for it, but you KNOW it will turn out well this way. And that truck almost certainly had more "surprise" rust waiting for you...

'08 Crew Cab Z-71 short bed. Really like this truck A LOT.
Tynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:43 PM   #42
my1st69

it is stories like these that make me very happy about my truck and the 700 I spent on her. hope you get some luck around th eway you will need it.
my1st69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:56 PM   #43
70monte

Scottrod71,

That really sucks but at least you got it taken care of.

Tynee,
I kind of wish I would have just bought the truck and then see if I could have gotten the title or found the last registered owner. You don't find too many factory big block trucks around here and this truck did have the factory air. I doubt I would have found too much hidden rust because I crawled under the truck and everything was very solid under there. No rust in the floor pans and the underside of the bed was rust free with just some very light surface rust. I'm not kidding when I say that this truck was probably one of the most rust free trucks of this body style that I have seen that has not been restored and I have looked at a lot of these trucks. Most of the trucks that I have looked at that look pretty decent from the top side look terrible when you look underneath them.

I don't want to start with a rust bucket because that is where most of your money is going to go. I had my 1970 Monte Carlo's body redone in the early ninties and the body was pretty decent rust wise but it still cost me a bunch of money to get it all done. It now needs another paint job because of too many years of sitting outside. Thanks for all the responses.

Wayne