The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2010, 06:03 PM   #26
BLAZERMAN
Currently Blazerless

Re: What Is The Best Oil Filter Wrench?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Ever try Sand Paper?

I have found that sand paper works the best. Great for tight spots and really gives you a super grip!
Used this same trick many times over the years and it hardly ever fails.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:52 AM   #27
tim21391

this is my thing i use to take my old filters off.. they are goin to the trash so oh well what they look like...
2013 Mustang V6/6speed w/300 ponies
I may be 23, but i sure do knows 67-72s are sexy!
Its not MPG its smiles per gallon!
build started 11/25/08
build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=2993796
tim21391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:20 AM   #28
mdwilf

Thanks for all the replies, keep 'em coming - I haven't seen anyone submit what I have in mind.

Thanks!!
Old 05-29-2010, 10:04 AM   #29
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwilf View Post
I haven't seen anyone submit what I have in mind.
Well... what is it you have in mind?

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q...og&sa=N&tab=wi

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:27 AM   #30
scott's69
WORTHLESS CRUISERS

I use the one PalfStep is showing on all my stuff except the 69. Ive always had problems getting the filters off of it. So I switched to K&N filters. They have a nut on the bottom of filter. Makes a world of difference when removing the filter. I just use a closed end wrench and she comes right off!! They cost a little more but, the cost makes up for the pain in the a@# that other filters cause.
If you don't live for something, then you'll die for nothing. www.xclusive-images.com
scott's69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:15 PM   #31
Crazyz28

The one I use at work the most is this one (I have 2 sizes of this style, one for older big style filters or duramax filters, and one for the smaller filters like the PF 46-48's):

For those hard to get off filters, I use:
'02 Chevy Impala-DD for now
-Ryan, GM Master Technician
Crazyz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:23 PM   #32
my70chevyc10

I havent used a filter wrench in maby 5 years i spend the extera money and get the K&N oil filter. It has a 1in bolt head welded to the bottom so all you need is a 1in socket or wrench
Attached Images

If for some reason i loose to a import...At least i can go home knowing the vehicle i drive drops girls panties...
my70chevyc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:31 PM   #33
BossHogg69
motor exploder

Been using this beast for over ten years - got it off a Matco tool dealer back in college when I worked at Firestone. I have yet to find an oil filter it couldn't fit onto or break loose. Works on any 3/8" ratchet, but really works well with a swivel head ratchet like in the pics.
Attached Images

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:39 PM   #34
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

I've got the ZY3401 from this picture.
It's worked on everything so far.

Though it looks like now I'm going to be getting the K&N filters. That bolt head on the end is worth it to me.
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:06 PM   #35
truckdude239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
I have owned steel and plastic end cap wrenches like this, and do not like them. They slip quite easily if the filter is tight.... and you only need a wrench if the filter is tight.

I have had much better luck with a nylon strap wrench.

Last, I have never used one of these, but have heard great things about them.

i have the last one for work and love it

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:07 PM   #36
truckdude239

i also have this one worst money i ever spent
Attached Images

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:18 AM   #37
bigsnookmaster

OK, I've got the best one I've ever seen! I've had it about 25 years. It is a flat,wound spring. You turn it clockwise to fit over the filter, then turn counterclockwise with a 3/4 wrench, and it tightens around the full height of the filter, compressing the complete outside of the filter. It has a little burr on the open end that keeps a bite to keep it from spinning on the filter. I have never crushed, or had a filter that I couldn't get off. Sad part about it is it's made in the USA, but has no name on it, and I haven't seen another one ever again.
bigsnookmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:46 AM   #38
kcfirstbuild

lisle tool is starting to add little nubs on their oil filter wrenches for grip.

Last edited by kcfirstbuild; 05-30-2010 at 10:47 AM.
kcfirstbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:47 AM   #39
mdwilf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnookmaster View Post
OK, I've got the best one I've ever seen! I've had it about 25 years. It is a flat,wound spring. You turn it clockwise to fit over the filter, then turn counterclockwise with a 3/4 wrench, and it tightens around the full height of the filter, compressing the complete outside of the filter. It has a little burr on the open end that keeps a bite to keep it from spinning on the filter. I have never crushed, or had a filter that I couldn't get off. Sad part about it is it's made in the USA, but has no name on it, and I haven't seen another one ever again.
That sounds really interesting, and similar in principle to what I had in mind. Could you post a pic?

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2010, 01:32 AM   #40
Hair

When you do the long screw driver method, take the screw driver and drive it into the bottom of the filter and drain the old oil out of it first, before you drive it thru the side. That makes things a lot less messy.

Those plastic socket type wrenches SUCK!!!!! Bad thing is, I knew it would suck while I was standing in the store, but I bought it anyway. I hate it when I do that!!

Instead of wasting time putting that stupid black rubber stuff on the bottom of the Fram filters, they should stick a socket on there like K&N does!
Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:28 AM   #41
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Ever try Sand Paper?

I have found that sand paper works the best. Great for tight spots and really gives you a super grip!
I have had to slide a piece of sandpaper between the strap wrench and oil filter housing in order for the wrench to grip. Like most of you, I have an assortment of Channle Lock 460's, various end cap wrenches, metal strap wrenches and a nylon strap wrench. I also picked up a set of the pilers like shown above to use on my wife's car (PRIUS)
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:31 AM   #42
WIDESIDE72

Not to be too obvious, but everyone knows that a filter wrench isn't needed to INSTALL a filter, correct? I always lube the o ring with a little oil nad ighten the filter as tight as I can BY HAND only. I have never had a problem with leaks.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:47 AM   #43
WIDESIDE72

This brings up a horror story I experienced about a year ago. I had a friend who has a 68 swb that he bought a Ramjet 350 crate engine. I oversaw the install. The engine came with an AC Delco ilter installed, but no oil. We dropped the engine in, I primed the engine using my home made tool made from a stock distributor with the top cut off to fit in a drill. No problems so far. We fired the engine and broke it in as normal (fairly uneventful, as it has a factory roller cam.) the trouble came when he went to change the filter. He could not get it off, with any tool, even th never fail screwdriver through the side. Eventually there was nothing left but the steel mounting pad. We ended up having to take an old socket and tack weld it to the pad in order to get leverage on it. Not too easy, considering it was overhead, and having to reach up through the header, etc. He had to make a call to the GMPP tech support # on an unrelated tuning issue and mentioned filter problem to the tech support person, and they mentioned that the had had several people mention this. My friend asked them if they ever considered telling people to be sure that the filter would come off BEFORE dropping the engine in. He said he was told by "higher ups" that they wanted to be sure that there were no oil leaks, due to liability issues....NICE...

My friend has an acquaintance that works at a local Chevy dealer in the service department. He had inquired about getting them to install the engine, but couldn't justify the $1,200 they quoted him. I was betweeen jobs and said I would do it for $600 if he would help. Afterward, he mentioned our fiasco, and his acquaintance replied " that is the kind of thing you could have avoided if you had gotten us to do the install" or words to that effect. Reason #34 to NOT take anything to a dealer for service EVER.

Moral of the story, if you buy a crate engine of any type, be sure you can get the filter off BEFORE installing the engine.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:51 PM   #44
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDESIDE72 View Post
Not to be too obvious, but everyone knows that a filter wrench isn't needed to INSTALL a filter, correct? I always lube the o ring with a little oil nad ighten the filter as tight as I can BY HAND only. I have never had a problem with leaks.
Good point, and I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it already. I don't tighten mine as much as you do -- I just snug it by hand and then tighten it a wee bit more. No leaks ever (lubing the o-ring or gasket helps). I learned long ago that filters become tighter all by themselves (no, they don't turn themselves, they just tighten up ), and are always somewhat tighter when you remove them than they were when you installed them.

Your second post above mentions filters that are over-tightened to prevent leaks. I don't know if all new Toyotas leave the factory with filters that are way too tight, but I know that Tacomas with 4.0L V6 engines do. They are very easy to change, being at the top front of the engine, but I had a terrible time getting ours off, which is why I now own a strap wrench -- which I have only used that one time...

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 05-31-2010, 02:05 PM   #45
HOGDADDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by my70chevyc10 View Post
i havent used a filter wrench in maby 5 years i spend the extera money and get the k&n oil filter. It has a 1in bolt head welded to the bottom so all you need is a 1in socket or wrench
^+1
HOGDADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:10 PM   #46
SweetandLong68
Your UncleBen

Quote:
Your second post above mentions filters that are over-tightened to prevent leaks. I don't know if all new Toyotas leave the factory with filters that are way too tight, but I know that Tacomas with 4.0L V6 engines do. They are very easy to change, being at the top front of the engine, but I had a terrible time getting ours off, which is why I now own a strap wrench -- which I have only used that one time...
Don't feel too bad. Ford does the exact same thing. From the factory the drain plugs little over handtight and oil filter so tight you crush it getting them off. I do this everyday ...working at a Ford dealership... So I now own some version of every oil filters removal device known to man! This is because we work on all makes all models. So undoubtly I have ran across ALOT of SUPERTIGHT filters. On most Ford products if I cant get it off with my hand I go straight to the 3 jaw adjustable style that LISLE makes with a swivel, 10 inch extension and floppy head 3/8"s rachet or the Channel Lock plier type on the smaller filters. This gets them all off. Now other makes like LS Chevys I use a metal strap wrench... Never let me down. I have bent a few but always gotten them off.

I think the hardest filters to get off are the FRAM filters that Wal-Mart puts on. SHESH that is some work and maybe a few fowl words too. hahah

But I do this everyday so I see lots of cars, trucks, gas, diesel, etc etc etc...Hopefully this will help some of you guys.

lata
CHRIS
Old 05-31-2010, 06:13 PM   #47
SweetandLong68
Your UncleBen

If you really want a challenge in changing an oil filter you should try a Suzuki Grand Vitara V6 or even better the new Suzuki Grand Vitara 4 cylinder... Dont even get me started on that! hahah ENJOY! These old trucks are EASYYYY to change oil on compared to these monstrosities!!!!

lata
CHRIS

Last edited by SweetandLong68; 05-31-2010 at 06:14 PM.
SweetandLong68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:16 PM   #48
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetandLong68 View Post
If you really want a challenge in changing an oil filter you should try a Suzuki Grand Vitara V6 or even better the new Suzuki Grand Vitara 4 cylinder... Dont even get me started on that! hahah
Haven't had the pleasure.... but we used to own a Miata.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 05-31-2010, 06:38 PM   #49
SweetandLong68
Your UncleBen

Quote:
Haven't had the pleasure.... but we used to own a Miata.
Yeah....Those suck too! Gotta get them bad boys from the top if I remember correctly...Then it makes a mess! But I only did that once! hahah

lata
CHRIS
Old 06-01-2010, 07:30 PM   #50
bigsnookmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwilf View Post
That sounds really interesting, and similar in principle to what I had in mind. Could you post a pic?

Thanks!
Yeah, No problem! Give me a day or so. Greg
bigsnookmaster is offline   Reply With Quote