The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2010, 10:19 AM   #26
Quackaddict
"Hooked on Quack"

Re: Uhaul adventure

Very nice, looking at your truck I think I may take down my big barn mirrors and put the ones like you have on but time will tell.
Quackaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:51 AM   #27
CanadaK20

Nice Truck,

When I bought my truck my wife and I flew out of Seattle one way to Salt Lake City, then rented a car to head south to Fillmore to purchase and see in person for the first time my new truck.

We then drove back to Kamloops, British Columbia. 1400 miles, ( more than the truck had driven all year! ).

Only had to replace the alternator on it in Bellngham WA. we were pretty sure it hadn't worked the whole trip!

All in all a very fun adventure.

Enjoy your new toy.
CanadaK20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #28
mr48chev

I'd have put the other rig on the trailer and towed it with the truck but that's just me.
There isn't anything much prettier than a nice shiny black 67/72 4x4 that is set up right. I haven't ever had one yet but some day the time will come.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:14 AM   #29
calgary72

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaK20 View Post
Nice Truck,

When I bought my truck my wife and I flew out of Seattle one way to Salt Lake City, then rented a car to head south to Fillmore to purchase and see in person for the first time my new truck.

We then drove back to Kamloops, British Columbia. 1400 miles, ( more than the truck had driven all year! ).

Only had to replace the alternator on it in Bellngham WA. we were pretty sure it hadn't worked the whole trip!

All in all a very fun adventure.

Enjoy your new toy.
I have had other truck breakdowns in the mountains before and I guess I wasn't up for that kind of adventure (this time)...

When I drove my '98 diesel home last year, I stopped in Canmore because one of the kids had to pee. Got back in and it wouldn't do anywhere - transmission packed it in. I'm thinkin I might have made it all the way home if I didn't stop! The guy at the dealer said "I took off the pan and there were pieces of metal, like, big pieces!"

When I was 19 I replaced a bent push rod on the side of the Trans Canada. That was my first 72, a bright yellow, slightly rusty long wheelbase half ton.

So, I have had bad luck with trucks and mountains....didn't want to push it this time.
calgary72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:03 AM   #30
Mr Pops
Ridin' Dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgary72 View Post
Note that the Uhaul has an on-line system to evaluate the vehicle pulling the car trailer and you also specify the vehicle on the trailer. Bottom line is that the Yukon passed, and according to Uhaul, is fine to pull the 72. I found out afterward (today) that the suspension leveler air compressor on the Yukon was not working. I think that is why the rear end of the Yukon was so low. By the way, it pulled very well and the Yukon had plenty of power.
Sweet truck! As far as towing it with a Yukon goes, I'll have to agree with JIMMYFLOYD, I've towed half ton trucks with my half ton 02 suburban, using a small trailer, and the problem is you cant decide where to position the weight on the trailer since theres only one spot the it'll go, whereas I've also towed half ton trucks using a bigger (longer) trailer and was able to move the weight back over the trailers axles and choose exactly how much tongue weight I wanted. My Burb also has an air ride leveler, and is no slouch on power, but even with the rear bags working, it was scary using a smaller trailer since you still loose front axle weight when you cant limit your tongue weight.
1988 V3500 Crewcab
1988 R2500 Crewcab (Mint, Ex Fire Dept)
1968 Chev Suburban (4x4 conversion) LINK
1970 Chev C20 Suburban (driver/cruiser)LINK
2005 Impala (Incognito vehicle)
2004 Yukon XL Denali (Kid hauler)
1947 Case tractor
Facebook Page(1000's of pictures of GM cars and trucks organized into albums)
YouTube Channel
Mr Pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:31 AM   #31
junkyardjohn

EVERYBODY NEEDS AN OLD TOWTRUCK. I DON'T KNOW HOW I LIVED WITHOUT ONE FOR 40 YEARS. JOHN (BY THE WAY BEUTIFUL TRUCK)
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST

Last edited by junkyardjohn; 06-10-2010 at 09:36 AM.
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:46 AM   #32
calgary72

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyFloyd View Post
Looks like a nice truck. I love the black trucks with Rally rims, especially when they are 4x4.

As for it being too heavy for your Yokon, that's not the case, it's more of an issue of the trailer being too small for the truck on it. You have a lot of weight on the tongue, which is why the rear of the truck is down so much. If you had more room to center the weight over the wheels of the trailer, you would have been better off, but that's a limitation of the U-haul trailers. My father and I hauled my 70 3/4 ton 4x4 suburban an hour and a half with his half ton suburban and it pulled without issues. It's all about how you load the trailer (you also don't want a lot of tail weight on a trailer. Had this when I moved my motor and there was a lot of banging from the hitch going over bumps.)
The Uhaul trailers have a stop at the front that the front wheels go against and the tie down system pulls the wheels forward. I don't think you can put the truck anywhere except up against the front stops because otherwise the truck moves forward and the tie-down goes slack. I think options are limited with Uhaul trailers in terms of positioning the vehicle.
calgary72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:27 AM   #33
JimmyFloyd

Yeah, you are correct with the Uhaul trailers, they are not really great for towing. I was just putting the information in here incase someone else came along it, or if you decided to get your own trailer.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:42 AM   #34
passthebuck
Sisyphus was my mentor!

Calgary72, do you have any pics of hauling the truck through Rogers Pass? I was up there two years ago controlling the avalanches with the artillery there and hence, I have a soft spot for the Pass. The photo in my profile is me & a number of my crew standing on top of a 4.5 avalanche that we brought down in the Pass.
-TWO 1967 GMC 910's. One with L6/3-on-the tree and the other with 355 w/435hp & a 700r4.
-a 2013 Honda Civic as my "sensible" car
passthebuck is offline   Reply With Quote