The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-15-2010, 05:14 PM   #26
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Re: At my wit's end

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Try swapping all the parts side to side & see if the problem remains on that side or follows the parts.
Except that the parts aren't interchangeable from passenger side to drivers side.
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:37 PM   #27
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddtheodd View Post
Except that the parts aren't interchangeable from passenger side to drivers side.
You could swap the rotors & bearings to eliminate them from the equation, or continue guessing. . ......
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:21 PM   #28
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
You could swap the rotors & bearings to eliminate them from the equation, or continue guessing. . ......
I had the same problem before and after I switched out the rotors and bearings.
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???
Old 06-16-2010, 10:10 PM   #29
passthebuck
Sisyphus was my mentor!

Is there possibly a pinched hardline going to the bad wheel? Just throwing that one out there...
-TWO 1967 GMC 910's. One with L6/3-on-the tree and the other with 355 w/435hp & a 700r4.
-a 2013 Honda Civic as my "sensible" car
passthebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:14 PM   #30
SCOTI

Ok....
Rubber line & caliper replaced multiple times yet problem still exists.
The rotor doesn't drag if the caliper is not connected.
After the 3rd caliper, it's doubtful you're that unlucky....

You're confident the bearings are correctly tightened so I would move further up the line. What about the hard line on that side from the prop valve to the rubber flex hose?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 06-16-2010, 10:34 PM   #31
raycow

I'm sticking to my theory that the caliper mounting is tweaked somehow and causing the caliper to be cocked relative to the rotor. Check the pins first, because that's the easiest. Maybe you will get lucky and not have to replace the spindle.

Ray

Last edited by raycow; 06-18-2010 at 01:09 PM.
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:52 PM   #32
Ironangel

What was the condition of the "replaced" calipers? Rebuilt? New? NOS,OEM,fresh from the junk yard? Were the pistons replaced? Were the bores and piston reseviors cleaned and reconditioned(honed)? New piston seals? I know youve replaced rotors and if they're well above the service limit along with new pads,that would push an old un-reconditioned piston into the hardened build-up beyond the "normal" operating range thus causing the piston to drag and fail to use the "full" operating range or stroke. Ever see what 40yr old DOT-3 turns into inside 40yr old calipers? Pull the caliper piston(s) out of their bores and tell us what you see behind them.
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"

Last edited by Ironangel; 06-18-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:20 AM   #33
54Caddy
GM Addicted

i Have the same problem on my truck took off the caliper on passenger side and noticed that bolt was over threaded, happened from over tightening and i replaced it with new bolts and same problem and my truck has all new stuff same as toddtheodd. I seen some longer bolts, the kit said for striped out threads but i dont know if thats what i need. Anybody have thoughts for me, and don't mean to thread jack you todd just frustrated over the same problem as you.

My 73 GMC Truck Build Pic
2010 Silverado 4/6 on 24s

IG:MacsGarage
54Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:59 AM   #34
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Interesting problem.
I think it's time to look at what you haven't changed if changing new parts hasn't fixed the problem and it was there before you started.

I would start out by pumping the brakes to extend the calipers and then let off the brakes. Then rotate the rotors to check for drag. If the right side drags and the left doesn't then open the right bleeder to relieve any residual fluid pressure and allow the caliper piston to retract. If that allows the rotor to rotate then you can look for kinked lines or faulty master cylinder. If it doesn't help then look for a mechanical problem as was suggested by Raycow.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:17 AM   #35
54Caddy
GM Addicted

ive bleed the brakes several times, and the right rotor still drags, i have no kinked lines any where, and the master cylinder wouldnt that make both fronts act weird??

Old 06-17-2010, 05:04 AM   #36
prairewolf

mine would drag too,... 72 C-20, it was the grommet between master and booster, new parts did not need grommet between them... 68 C15(Todd) found the glitch for me.....it drove me nuts trying to find it..... I was actually thinking of converting to drum brakes to get passed it.
everything else was new. I got good at crawling under it with wrench and cracking bleeder screws open and closed..... passenger side would drag more than driver side but driver side was dragging a little too.

I had assumed the grommet was a dust boot so I re-used it.

the push rod between master and booster comes in different lengths too I guess and that can cause same type of glitch.

if none of this helped it helped me to finally vent about it.

thanks for listening.

kent

Last edited by prairewolf; 06-17-2010 at 05:08 AM.
prairewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:46 AM   #37
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairewolf View Post
mine would drag too,... 72 C-20, it was the grommet between master and booster, new parts did not need grommet between them... 68 C15(Todd) found the glitch for me.....it drove me nuts trying to find it..... I was actually thinking of converting to drum brakes to get passed it.
everything else was new. I got good at crawling under it with wrench and cracking bleeder screws open and closed..... passenger side would drag more than driver side but driver side was dragging a little too.

I had assumed the grommet was a dust boot so I re-used it.

the push rod between master and booster comes in different lengths too I guess and that can cause same type of glitch.

if none of this helped it helped me to finally vent about it.

thanks for listening.

kent
Grommet? Anybody have a picture of this thing? I don't remember seeing a grommet one way or the other.

Had the brake hose off, and the caliper was still dragging.

IIOY???
Old 06-17-2010, 09:32 AM   #38
storm9c1
*** That's interesting ***

Quote:
WAIT A MINUTE. Drags with the brake hose off? Then it has nothing to do with the hydraulic system!

So it has to be either the caliper itself, brake pads (perhaps the pads are casted wrong, too thick, uneven) or the backing plate/caliper bracket assembly is slightly bent? Or rotor/bearings/spindle.

I've had this happen and drove the car/truck for a few days, being sure to do a few hard stops at first to seat everything (sometimes this is also called "burnishing"). Then I recheck. Sometimes the problem went away on its own or got better. A little drag is normal for disc brakes (and I always hated that).
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV 9C3 6.0L
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1 #3
1995 Chevy Caprice Wagon #2
1995 Chevy Impala SS
Mopar by night...
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Newport 2dr Hardtop (27K miles)

Plus others...

Last edited by storm9c1; 06-17-2010 at 09:40 AM.
storm9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:32 AM   #39
SCOTI

Quote:

That should exclude the hydraulics. Sounds like you have an alignment issue between the caliper mounting & the rotor placement. Get new caliper guide pins and/or another spindle for that side.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 06-17-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:51 AM   #40
RichardJ

As has been said, disc brakes do drag. Is the problem that one disc is dragging or is the real problem, that the other one isn't?
RichardJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:33 PM   #41
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
As has been said, disc brakes do drag. Is the problem that one disc is dragging or is the real problem, that the other one isn't?
While disc brakes have residual pressure, they should allow the rotor to complete @ least one revolution before being dragged to a stop vs. mere inches (@ least all the ones I've worked with have) . . ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddtheodd
My front right wheel is dragging. If I lift the truck up, and spin the wheel, it stops spinning again immediately. Not after spinning a couple of revolutions, but after a couple of inches.
What I haven't seen mentioned, is.... if the problem existed before, did the truck pull excessively to that side under normal driving/braking conditions?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 06-17-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:14 PM   #42
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

The truck sat for over a year before I replaced the motor in it. That was a couple of months ago.
I noticed when going over 65 that it sour smell hot, and I at first chalked it up as a new motor smell or something.
Then, after a while of not being able to find it, I lifted the front end and discovered that the right wheel was dragging. This was not an issue before the truck was parked.
Fast forward to now, and now you are caught up.
If I use a clamp to compress the caliper it spins freely. But hits the brakes and right back to dragging again.

IIOY???
Old 06-17-2010, 03:02 PM   #43
54Caddy
GM Addicted

I have the same problem as compressing the caliper in and it spins freely but once i apply the brakes its stuck again after the first try, what are you going to try next todd? Im going to take the hose off like you did and release the pressure and see if it still grabs.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:19 PM   #44
Ironangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironangel View Post
What was the condition of the "replaced" calipers? Rebuilt? New? NOS,OEM,fresh from the junk yard? Were the pistons replaced? Were the bores and piston reseviors cleaned and reconditioned(honed)? New piston seals? I know youve replaced rotors and if they're well above the service limit along with new pads,that would push an old un-reconditioned piston into the hardened build-up beyond the "normal" operating range thus causing the piston to drag and fail to use the "full" operating range or stroke. Ever see what 40yr old DOT-3 turns into inside 40yr old calipers? Pull the caliper piston(s) out of their bores and tell us what you see behind them.
I think the caliper piston is hanging up on build-up inside the bore and not fully relieving pressure. The spindle/caliper mounts may be tweeked and is not an issue until new pads and/or rotor are installed. Do keep us updated please.
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"

Last edited by Ironangel; 06-18-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:34 PM   #45
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Calipers were "re-manufactured"

IIOY???
Old 06-19-2010, 12:02 AM   #46
Kayotic

Good God... Crazy thought (I admit skimming this thread) but could the spindle pin be shot.

Maybe from overheating or something...
Old 06-19-2010, 12:26 AM   #47
beebster

Location: Aurora,Il ..born,raised and still live in the same house

man, i'm dying to find out what the solution will be! LOL
keep us posted.
beebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 05:46 PM   #48
54Caddy
GM Addicted

this **** is annoying my next move on my brake pull is putting another spindle on. I hope it fixes mine.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:22 PM   #49
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

I'm really hoping I don't have to replace the spindle... though if I do... I will use it as an excuse to get drop spindles.

IIOY???
Old 06-21-2010, 06:35 PM   #50
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

I must've gotten a defective caliper, because I replaced it... again... and it's all good now.

Though oddly enough, the good caliper had bolts that were about a centimeter too short, and the brass o-rings were too small as well.
Oh well though. It's all good now.

IIOY???