The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-17-2010, 04:12 PM   #26
ol_skool_chevy

Re: How You got it ??

I know some of you have heard this already but I'll add again. I was working of a Excavation job clearly some land for a housing Development and there was a huge Black berry Bush that needed to be ripped out and as I was ripping the bushes out the front of a truck stuck its nose out. so I hooked a chain onto it and drug it out thinking i was going to crush it and haul it off to the dump. but after looking it over i ended up dragging it up on a trailer and taking it home still thinking i might take it to the dump.
after a weekend of cleaning with a pressure washer...I decided to keep it..
Heres before and after pics...
Attached Images

Built it yourself, don't count on others to to do it for you or with you. It will never get done
ol_skool_chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:37 PM   #27
justpball

^Very cool!^

87 Crew SWB
Build for the crew
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430082

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3232925
90 burb 2wd

Build Thread For The Burb!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=383055
justpball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:04 PM   #28
87GMCChris

As a kid i always dreamed of owning a old GM square body. I looked for years, but as other canadian users can tell you there are alot of rusted out ones up here.
It starts out like this... When i first got my licence, i found a mint '94 Topaz for 480 bux, the guy couldn't get it to pass E-test. Being an ispired gears head. I took it, 2 ball joints and filters and it passes with flying colours. Almost a year later, someone rear ended me. 6000 dollar frame damage. As the appraisel said. Insuranse gave me 2000.
With that i bought a 1990 GMC S-15, 2.8 5speed at 1200. Loved the little truck. Drove that for 2 years, all along the while it rotted out. Near the end i had a wooden box on it while i prepped the southern box i got. But never got around to putting it on.
In the years i owned the s15 i was searching around for a square. The best i found was an old plow truck(on my student budget). Being the gear head i was i had signed up for an apprenticeship. Just before i got layed off a couple of years ago...
A guy droped off a 1987 GMC Wrangler for a saftey and to sell it on our small lot. Thing was dirty, let me tell you. I talked to my dad to lend me the money. After a couple of days of begging, he surrendered. She was mine.
The story the guy i bought it off goes like this " I bought it off an old farmer, He had it from new, drove it for about 10 tears till they took away his license. stored if for a few years past that. His kids put him in a home, sold his truck. And auctioned off his farm. The guy was mad cause they sold his truck, the farm didn't matter at that point." The guy who bought it from drove it for a couple of years and then ended up storing it for 5 years untill i bought it." Cleaned it up, added duals and a sport bumper, everything else it original. Now it will never leave me Build thread :http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=404834
Pics.. #1 when i got it #2 when i got it #3 Now #4 sport bumper
Attached Images

I only drive truck 6 months a year... Dam Canadian winters.
87GMCChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:21 PM   #29
ratty 46

Nice burb .... also nice truck MH Lon ....

MH Lon looks like a moving truck (UD/Isuzu)? That hadta hurt.

My crew was 4 sale in southern cally - I had it shipped back east.

Ratty 46
ratty 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:14 PM   #30
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

It allstarted out i was looking for a an old truck to make and Oldschool monster truck (real) i found this old 79 F250 351W C6
have a good chat with the owner but he backed out still looking to buy it off him to restore it also as this truck was danish build back in 79

so on to the next one i posted an add on a US car forum here in denmark. wanted old late 70s 80s and early 90s pickup or SUV didnt need engine or tranny rust wassent a issue eighter got alot of hits.
like a guy had 3 79 Broncos with out engines wanted pictures never got them or heard back from the guy, an old Dodge B200 4x4 with a 360. Very cool truck but i passed on it wassent my cop of tea.

was going to look at an old Jeep Wagooner 360 also but called the guy never heard from him again.

then a guy called me he said he had this old 81 or 82 Chevrolet 3500 in his barn i could get for the price i listed in the add without the engine and tranny it had alot of Cab rust but he said when looking under the truck it was like another world asked about pics he send me some a day later.

I recognized the truck for being for sale a couple of years ago and at the time i really wanted it but as a kid at the age of 13 or 14 i coundt not affored it. i asked about what engine and tranny, he said it had a great sounding 6.2 Diesel and a 4 speed Manual, i was in love. chatted with my friend who i have the shop with he was ok with if i could get it for a good price. asked what he wanted for it complete he said as close 3500$ made him an offer 3000$ he took it, asked what it was missing for it to be driverbel he said it need brake fluied, talked to my buddy we agread it might do the 164mile trip home. a the next weekend with heavy hangovers 3 off my friends took on the 164 trip over there with the Station Wagoon Fully loaded with tools just in case.
we was not aware how HUGE it was we coundt belive it made a bet that it coundt be in the shop for a case of beer i lost lol. looked it over all good very nice but HUGE guy he cound bearly sit in the truck he said that he was supose to go on a cruise ship for the weekend to norway with a couple of friends but stayed home to sell the truck. well we realised we coundt drive it home so he called in a Trucker favor 2 hours later a good chat about his other veichels he had a 74 C20 Crew Cab with a 350 and 91 GMC front end and ran a DRW orgrinaly SRW 3/4T he was restoring and 2 old Plymounth '30s Hot rods he was planing on building.
a guy with a tow truck showed up and he would could deliver it to the container port and we could drive on the ferry and home the last mile lol she was loaded up and we headed home and the tow truck driver and the seller took of to the container port.

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.

Last edited by GmtGmt; 06-18-2010 at 02:16 PM.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:12 PM   #31
69BBsuburban
Right in front of you.

I traded an R/C truck, worth @ $150, for my black beater project....
Traded my '63 Riviera for the dually, and got a '33 Chevy PU cab and 1962 Rambler wagon as well.

My orange truck was my stepdad's baby, when he was killed during a windstorm, my mom gave me the truck, as that's what he would've wanted...
'68 Dodge Charger R/T
1930 Ford Model A
69BBsuburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:42 PM   #32
same_me

Some good stories here. Mine starts about two years ago with a fixed up golf cart I had. Wanted a truck.

Traded it for a set of 24" wheels and mini chopper.

Then sold the mini chopper and traded the wheels for a Mazda on air.

The Mazda turned into a money pit quick and my wife's uncle bought a new truck and asked if I wanted his old truck. Set the Mazda on the side of the road and sold it on a Friday night and bought the 79 Chevy on Sunday. Been tickled to death ever since....

same_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:05 PM   #33
gloriavoxdei

Been looking at 4x4 Crew Cab Duallys for over a year. Long story short, made a trip to denver and bought a ex cab 90 dually for $1600, threw a rod 3 blocks away from the dudes shop. The seller was cool and gave me my money back, that night a 1985 K30 Crew Cab Dually showed up on Craigslist for $1500. Talked to the guy and he was selling it for his brother but said it had been driven out from IL several months earlier. Went up to look at it in Denver and it had some rust around the door frames and the steering was sloppy. Offered him $1200 and he settled at $1250. After a 2 hour drive home the fuel pump goes out 16 miles from home. Went back the next day after driving an hour to get the new pump. Replace the pump and fuel line and she's been my work driver since then. Gonna use her to pull a fifth wheel once I get a little more work done and save up some more money for the trailer.

2001 Yukon XL2500, 6.0, 4L85E, 4x4, family truckster
gloriavoxdei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:29 PM   #34
1974ChevyC10
Overworked and Underlaid

Well i've owned 4 square bodies and there is a different story behind getting them all.here goes.3 of them are 1978's and 1 was a 1974.

Truck#1-1978 Chevy Scottsdale SWB 1/2 ton
Found this one for sale in a local truck trader listed for $1100.went and looked at it-at night no less-and it looked out we checked it over pretty throroughly with a flashlight.couldnt drive it to get a road feel for it since the motor was blown engine threw 4 roads through the block.talked it over with my dad and we got the guy down to a $775 selling price.paid him $300 to hold it and brought the remaining balance the following saturday and towed the truck home.started working on the engine teardown from there at night after i got off work.i was still a high school student at the time.got it between my junior and senior years.got it running a couple months later and started driving it.over the course of the next year i realized what a total POS this truck was turning out to be.it needed a whole new front clip,complete new front suspension some of the parts on there were bent and not salvageable.had it for a few more months then sold it.

Truck #2-1978 Chevy Custom Deluxe LWB 1/2 ton
Traded truck#1 for this one.found it for sale in the classifieds of the phoenix local paper i lived in phx at the time.it was listed for $800 dollars.talked to the owner and i agreed to come look at it a couple days later.well i went to look at it and it body wise was a little better than the first truck.it had a running motor at the time in it but the previous owner started a trans replacement in it but had not completely finished it still needed to bolt in the driveshaft and some other loose ends on the tranny.finalized deal,took the truck and it drove fine for a month or so when the tranny blew.it sat for awhile i drove a junker car in the meantime until it died then got the truck with a new tranny and a used 305 since the 350 in it ran terribly and used oil like no other.back on the road until the tranny died again.driving it home from putting the tranny in it then motor dies.put one more tranny in it and it died again a few months later then after that it was parked for about 21 months then i got it running again.put new engine,trans and assorted other performance parts in it and drove it again until nov 2006 when i moved back to phoenix and its been parked ever since.will donate its driveline and other performance goodies to ol red.

Truck #3 1974 Chevy Cheyenne Super LWB 1/2 ton
Bought this truck off a small used car lot in tempe,arizona that has since went out of business got it in november 2001 drove it with no real modifications until february 2004 when the motor in it died.reubuilt the motor but this truck was so rusty the body wasnt worth saving so i took all the good stuff off this truck,kept it for myself and got truck#2 back on the road again.this truck was eventually completely parted out or scrapped.

Last and certainly not least Truck#4 1978 Chevy Scottsdale LWB 1/2 ton-
Found this one for sale on craigslist for $800.looked at it the same day i saw the ad and after a pretty thorough look over accompanied by a friend i bought it and put the time and registration in my name.towed it home a week later.stored it at a friends house for a few months got it running with the 6 cylinder in it then drove it up to my house in flagstaff.its going to get a V-8 transplant along with a built 700r4.paid $700 dollars for it.best looking and best running truck ive ever owned.

The Beast-1978 C10 LWB

Red-1978 C10 LWB

(Uncle Mike)Michael Henry Millett 11/5/1957 to 03/08/2012
Gone but will never be forgotten-RIP

(Uncle Chuck)Charles Manning Gulbronsen Sr 1956-2012
Taken from us to soon but you will live on in our hearts-RIP
1974ChevyC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:51 PM   #35
joe1982
.. !WAR FEDOR! ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol_skool_chevy View Post
I know some of you have heard this already but I'll add again. I was working of a Excavation job clearly some land for a housing Development and there was a huge Black berry Bush that needed to be ripped out and as I was ripping the bushes out the front of a truck stuck its nose out. so I hooked a chain onto it and drug it out thinking i was going to crush it and haul it off to the dump. but after looking it over i ended up dragging it up on a trailer and taking it home still thinking i might take it to the dump.
after a weekend of cleaning with a pressure washer...I decided to keep it..
Heres before and after pics...
thats very cool, is the 3rd pic original paint? just polished up
"san diego chargers #1"
joe1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 03:02 PM   #36
joe1982
.. !WAR FEDOR! ..

nothing special about my find, i spent 2 years in okinawa and was not allowed to drive. so i never even thought about what kind of car i wanted.that is till i received my rotation date, so the last 6 months there i spent on craigslist and autotrader. i found my truck, had my brother go check it out, and begged the owner to hold it for me. when i arrived back in san diego, i gave him a ring and he told me to come pick it up. i ended up paying 4000 after DMV fees. maybe a bit to much fo for the truck but he gave me a bunch of extra stuf along with it. new windshield and window glass. complete weatherstripp kit and it only had 26,000 mikes on a new motor and tranny.
"san diego chargers #1"
joe1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 03:49 PM   #37
PRattenbury

I just wanted a simple, old school pile-o-dung pickup truck to knock around in since my 4WD diesel Dodge was always under the wrench for this mod or that. I found a 80 short wide local to me on Flea Bay. It ran, but it looked like crap and it hadn't been on the road for a few years. So I paid like $900 for the truck and another $50 for a rollback to pick it up from where it was and drop it right in my garage. That was in January. It's still there. But it's almost ready to fire off now and there was a 3 month business trip to Europe in there. And an operation/recuperation. So it's beenway long, but not as long as one might think. Not to mention, I can't leave anything alone. The engine git pulled down to the short block and rebuilt from there. Everything under the hood got cleaned up. All hoses, belts, gaskets, you name it, it's new. Sometime soon it'll run again. I'm putting the fluids in it today.
PRattenbury is offline   Reply With Quote