The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-03-2010, 02:33 PM   #26
benoit454
Chris

how about a 4x4 lwb rear driveshaft measure?

ext. cab, 3-4 door, short bed, or reg. cab with long bed, anything as long as it's 4x4 and long wheel base. Also what trans. is in front of it would be good.

Looking for rear one here.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:26 AM   #27
BigDan3131

Re: can someone measure their 2wd driveshaft for me?

I have a question that has not been asked yet. Are you running a stock drivetrain? If I didn't get it I take it its a 4x4? Is the truck raised or lowered? If yes to any of the above I would only go with a new shaft that you wont have to worry about. Besides UPS and Fedex do deliver anywhere. Inland Empire Driveline Service and Denny's both off excellent shafts at a reasonable price. I think it cost me about 115.00 for mine to be shortened with new u-joints and balancing. When I switched to a DOM tube it wasn't much more maybe 250.00 total and it can handle up to 1000hp.

I wouldn't want to hear about you pole-vaulting your ride because you were to cheap to spring for a good shaft in the first place.
BigDan3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:20 AM   #28
benoit454
Chris

ok first off when you have a tight budget you do what you gotta do. It is not stock, I'm trying to find the correct stock factory length driveshaft that I could use in another truck NOT an 88-98 but as I've seen so far the 2wd 5 speed, short bed, reg. cab is the same length I need, but different yoke. It's a 2wd not a 4x4 and as for driveshaft companies, no way,$200-300 is out of the question I can have the stinky trans rebuilt or buy another for that price and not change one.

This has been one big waste of my time, trying to constantly defend myself and my choices just aint worth it.

I posted here because I know everyone here is serious and down to buisness, and it was a simple question, grab a tape slap it on there and tell me what it is, where it measured from and what trans. Instead it's constant questions as to why do you want a measurement? It's almost like it's illegal to get some measurements or something jeez. I aint asking you guys to yank it out and send it to me or something.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
Old 07-04-2010, 11:35 AM   #29
scotts62
One day...

I can understand the budget part completely but i think it was a big misunderstanding from the start , so in that aspect lets have everyone who has a truck and would like to take a second and get this guy a measurement from trans yoke to rear end yoke center of cap to center and lets see what we get.

Mine- 92 chevy X cab short bed with 4l60 measureed 81 in

Hope that helps

93 crew cab build
Project 62

Last edited by scotts62; 07-04-2010 at 12:00 PM.
scotts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:21 PM   #30
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

The issue is that the truck is an '84, with a long tailshaft TH350. What he is trying to do is find a driveshaft from an 88-98 that would fit the replacement transmission (a short-tailshaft) and the rear end, but that would be 3 inches longer than the stock-length driveshaft.

I think the misunderstanding has come from those facts.

He's working on a squarebody truck and looking for info from this forum that will tell him he can go to a wrecking yard and pull a driveshaft from whatever and bolt it up in his dad's truck.

I told him about the interchange manuals that wrecking yards have that should be able to tell him what vehicle has the length driveshaft he needs and that has the right yokes.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:37 PM   #31
benoit454
Chris

exactly. I do understand there may be other issues with a round body 88-98 such as yoke or u joint sizes, but those can be handled later, right now I'm just trying to see if ANYTHING factory is close. I know for a fact the 3 on the tree square bodies, or man car side cover and linkage style trans would work, and if someone had done a short tail 350 in a square body, those are all correct, but our junkyards within 45 minute drive only do new model junk. They have a select few 88-98s. Then as mentioned the 88-89 5 speed reg. cab short beds, those are very close to what I need.

As for the 2wd long beds, burbs or something that long I doubt they'd work and 81 is too long, But I never measured any 4x4 long wheel base vehicles they may be close.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
Old 07-05-2010, 12:56 AM   #32
joe231

Ok,
well first off there are 3 different length 350 tail-shafts
6", 9", and 12"
which do you have now and which did you have before?
my 1980 short bed has a TH350-C with a 9" tail-shaft.
the drive-shaft in it is 56" center of the front u-joint to the center of the rear u-joint

probably isn't much help, but I don't have a '88-98 to measure, sorry....

Last edited by joe231; 07-05-2010 at 12:58 AM.
joe231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:15 PM   #33
benoit454
Chris

No man it helps but you have exactly what we do, but ours is 1/2 shorter.

We have an 84 chevy with a NON lockup th350 not a c, and it's 9 inch tail, the one we got to put in, thus needing a longer driveshaft is the 6 inch tail.

Our driveshaft behind the long tail is 55.5 center to center u joint.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
Old 07-05-2010, 11:13 PM   #34
benoit454
Chris

is there a ay to link this into maybe the 67-72 section? maybe one of them driveshafts are the right length, and if so might find one on here somebody is parting out to use the driveshaft out of.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
Old 07-05-2010, 11:21 PM   #35
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

So tell me again, why you just don't get one made to the right length? Don't get me wrong, I have had a few drivelines made up and I also lived with one that was about 3/4" too short and it was a mess. Measure it and get it done, then know that you have the right thing under your truck. As I stated above, the shop in my area is about 100 miles from my home. I would make the appointment and stop at their shop in the morning (Early) and before the end of the day pick up the new drive line and go home---one trip and the wife got to shop during the day.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:22 PM   #36
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I'm thinking that the 73-87 forum is the best bet, since you're working on an '84. I understand that you are trying to find a vehicle that has the right length driveshaft for your dads truck.

Surely, someone on that forum has a truck equipped like yours will be and can tell you what length driveshaft you need.

As for the 67-72's....majority of them have 2-piece driveshafts and I don't think they'll work for you.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #37
benoit454
Chris

good point a 2 piece is definately not what he wants, as for 73-87's the 3 speed on the coloumn on a 2wd reg. cab is perfect.

The reason I don't have a shop do it, is cost, if I did manage to find one and have it done it costs double, meaning if it's a hundred bucks to get it done, not bad, time I drive over and back twice I'd burn that much in gas I bet. My 88 k1500 aint bad on gas but it aint that good either. I like to have more then one option and can get one the guys said he'd have the right length used, but it's about 40 minutes away, and as for finding a driveshaft place we're working on it. I got word the local guy may be back in buisness and if so would be perfect.

As I said I know the length, just gotta find a driveshaft that length or have on made. The old man is gonna check on the local guy but he's got a bad infected tooth he's gotta get pulled and can't be out in the heat right now, so project is on hold for a few days.

If not then we go to the out of town one, have to do same as you, go early, stay and shop and eat, then pick it up and go home, that cost ALOT LOL

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,

Last edited by benoit454; 07-06-2010 at 12:16 PM.