The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-16-2010, 11:16 AM   #26
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Re: Title Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72freak View Post
Registration is proof of ownership...it comes with VIN numbers......However...YES....no title is STUPID!
I agree. For the amount of money, time , blood and sweat we put into these trucks it is really dumb to start with one that has no title. There are plenty of them around with a clean title that will give you a whole lot of piece of mind vs. a truck with a questionable history or no documents to prove it is yours.

I would be afraid the last guy with the title for the truck would show up at my door and want his truck back after I had spent countless hours and dollars on it.

I had a Camaro for two years that I had a title for but when I got hit by a guy running a red light and the insurance company was looking it over they found it had mismatched VIN's. Turns out the car was stolen 20 years earlier and the dash VIN had been swapped with another Camaro of the same year. The VIN plate on the dash was held on with screws that were only visible when the dash pad was off the car. The insurance company that paid out the original claim 20 years earlier took the Camaro with no compensation to me what so ever.

Moral of the story, the last person with a legitimate title for the vehicle can take it from you at any time no matter what. A bill of sale from somebody who really doesn't own the vehicle legally or a title that really doesn't belong to that vehicle won't save you from the real owner with title in hand.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:39 AM   #27
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypaul View Post

I feel that swapping vin tags on old restorations like this should be totally legal. As long as you have legally own both the trucks whats the harm? Its not like someone is stealing something. But thats just my opinion.....
Below is a photo of a friends small window stepside. It was stolen two days after this show and the vin tag was swapped with one from a wrecked truck using the correct rivets which were then aged with acid after the switch was made.
The thief sprayed it flat black but didn't change the wheels, grille or any of the rest of the details. When my friend saw it in a shopping center parking lot he checked for the fuel pump bracket I had welded to the frame above the rear axle...it was there, along with the stainless hardlines we installed for the holley pump. DMV and the local cops would not assist in the recovery as the donor wreck was leaglly titled out of state and then the title was transferred.

Mayhaps this will happen to you!
Attached Images

Last edited by LONGHAIR; 07-17-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:57 AM   #28
tonypaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Below is a photo of a friends small window stepside. It was stolen two days after this show and the vin tag was swapped with one from a wrecked truck using the correct rivets which were then aged with acid after the switch was made.
The thief sprayed it flat black but didn't change the wheels, grille or any of the rest of the details. When my friend saw it in a shopping center parking lot he checked for the fuel pump bracket I had welded to the frame above the rear axle...it was there, along with the stainless hardlines we installed for the holley pump. DMV and the local cops would not assist in the recovery as the donor wreck was leaglly titled out of state and then the title was transferred.

Mayhaps this will happen to you!
cause if your actually read my statement I said if I owned both trucks, not owned one and stole another one..... My statement is this should be legal in the world of restorations.......

Oh course this is not legal, is it done in restorations? yes.... But if thieves want to steal someones truck they are going to. Swapping VINS in restoration projects has nothing to do with the fact that your buddies truck got stolen. The problem is that the thieves were so stupid not only to change the vin but they did nothing to change the appearance of that hiddious truck after they stole it.......

Last edited by LONGHAIR; 07-17-2010 at 12:52 PM.
tonypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:36 PM   #29
ehuth1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72freak View Post
the easiest, quickest and only legal way to do what you want if the chain of title has been broken is to sell the truck to a friend, family member or trusted board member in another state that does do titles (South Carolina) and once the S.C. title has been issued buy it back. South Carolina will issue a title on a Georgia Bill of sale, sale, and you dont even have to have proof of insurance to register it in S.C. You now have a titled truck. Its done every day and its legal!!!
So who is our S.C. hookup on this board? I'm having a title problem as well.
ehuth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:39 PM   #30
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypaul View Post
cause if your actually read my statement I said if I owned both trucks, not owned one and stole another one..... My statement is this should be legal in the world of restorations.......

Oh course this is not legal, is it done in restorations? yes.... But if thieves want to steal someones truck they are going to. Swapping VINS in restoration projects has nothing to do with the fact that your buddies truck got stolen. The problem is that the thieves were so stupid not only to change the vin but they did nothing to change the appearance of that hiddious truck after they stole it.......
I read your entire post and understood it. When you allow swapping vin tags you open the door to crooks cheats and thieves. Keep that door firmly closed!
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:58 PM   #31
jablack
Classic Chevy Recycler

I've bought 3 of these old trucks without a title. I know someone who works at a dealership processing titles and I have her check out the vin before I buy. So far no problem. I do wish I could have a title though..

2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
1970 Chevrolet C50
1979 Chevrolet C30

Need another 67 or 68 soon...
jablack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:59 PM   #32
raycow

CA is pretty good about this. Not only is it illegal to swap VIN tags, but it is illegal to even possess a tag that is not attached to a vehicle.

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:03 PM   #33
rsavage

Just a statement of fact. There are lots of folks who switch out their rusted cabs to a solid one. Since the VIN plate is on the cab, it necessarily has to be removed from the old cab and placed on the donor cab to remain numbers matching (partial serial on frame to VIN tag partial serial). You are not registering the donor cab. Your truck is already registered or titled depending on the state. I can not understand the discussions that often take place on this subject.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:33 PM   #34
jablack
Classic Chevy Recycler

That's one of those, to each his own..
You do what you have to with these old trucks.

2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
1970 Chevrolet C50
1979 Chevrolet C30

Need another 67 or 68 soon...
jablack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:28 PM   #35
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehuth1 View Post
So who is our S.C. hookup on this board? I'm having a title problem as well.
There are plenty of SC board members.....my contact is not on the board.
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Custom Camper "Dump Truck"
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Suburban "Big Green"
1969 Chevrolet C-50 Wedge Hauler "Leonidis"
1966 C-10 2x4 short fleet 327 4 speed "Race Truck"
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook "Rican" (my grandfathers)
1931 Ford Model A Coupe "Black Beauty"
1930 Ford Model A truck "Club Cab" 4x4

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

It's not just a hobby..It's a LIFESTYLE!!!

Thanks for nothing Barrett-Jackson

You cant fix stupid or teach accountability!

Time wasters, looky Lous and tire kickers are everywhere!
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote