The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2010, 10:07 AM   #26
junkyardjohn

Re: K&N Filter Tops

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv10001975 View Post
Yeah it's funny how some people can make stupid comments on this site and then when called out on it, they step down. My counter offer is more than fair, but you really didn't want it in the first place you just wanted to make a stupid comment, and you accomplished that.
POST A PICTURE .. IF IT DOES INDEED EXIST. I'LL FORWORD ALL THE EMAILS YOU SENT TO ANY OF THE MODERATORS IF YOU KEEP IT UP, & LET THEM DECIDE WHO IS BEING A 12 YEAR OLD. & NEEDS THIER BUTT PERMANENTLY REMOVED FROM THIS SITE. COME ON.... ACT LIKE AN ADULT FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. CUT IT OUT. (PHISHING OR TROLLING IS AGAINST THE RULES & WILL GET YOU BANNED FOR LIFE, QUICKER THAN SCAT... SO STOP IT!) I WOULD GLADLY PAY YOUR $25 ANNUAL SUBSCIPTION FEE (DIRECTLY TO THE BOARD OF COARSE) ALLOWING YOU TO BUY & SELL WITHIN THE RULES, IF YOU WERE TO MAIL ME THE 14" FILTER TOP IN QUESTION. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST

Last edited by junkyardjohn; 07-22-2010 at 12:30 PM.
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:03 PM   #27
sv10001975

Look John, I will tell you this one time. YOU made the offer on my K&N top not me, all I did was counter offer your ridiculously low and sarcastic offer. If I would of thought that you were not being sarcastic I would of gladly sold it to you if you payed the freight for your offer because I will never use it. Forward to all the moderators you want, but I did nothing wrong. I have never made an offer to sell anything on this site to anyone, because these are the rules of the site. Quit acting like a tat-l-tell and just deal with the consequences of your remarks.
sv10001975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:37 PM   #28
dznucks

Quote:
I had one on my 71 blazer for the 11 years i owned it & drove it everyday.
how long have these filter tops been on the market? seems like they just came out about 5 or so years ago.

it does seem like a good idea at first. but from what i learned in my engine design classes in engineering school .....the air speed in the venturi's will approach Mach 1 at WOT. the carbs are designed for the 90 degree turn of the incoming air into the carb, hence the rounded shape of the upper venturi. when you combine the air coming in at 90 deg's, with the air coming in straight down, you drastically change the flow characteristics especially approaching WOT, ie mach 1.

the atomization of the carbs were not designed for this funky flow of air. not to mention pulling the hot air out of the top of your engine compartment at low speed or takeoff. in my opinion, you would want either straight down, or 90 deg's, not both.
remeber the air bleed sit in the throat of the carb. if you pass turbulent air across those air bleeds, or if you pull air straight down, you screw up the vacuum signal in the carb. they were designed for a steady flow of air across the air bleeds to providing stable vacuum to pull the fuel through the fuel passages.

i have never run an open top like what is being discussed here, but i did run an edelbrock cage type filter, which pulls from all direction. i noticed a loss in power and torque, plus some backfiring when i installed it. it all went away when i took it off and went back to a round style with a solid top.

for what its worth, on a street engine the old stock dual snorkel type intakes that these trucks came with would be the best bet. it pulls the cool incoming air from the fenders and keeps a uniform air flow coming into the carb. its a differnt story on a healthy race engine.

Last edited by dznucks; 07-22-2010 at 09:43 PM.
dznucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:47 AM   #29
junkyardjohn

They look cool to. 59 caddy?.. I'd love to have an orginal one.

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
Old 07-23-2010, 02:17 AM   #30
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad70sbchevy View Post
Yes and no, it all depends on what kind of carb your runnin and the size of the airfilter. Unless your comparing off the dyno its hard to tell. The increased surface area of the filter helps the air to pass easier through the air filter, on the other side on some carburators it causes turbulance causing a decrease in horsepower but gains or losses are small. If your really worried about a couple horsepower, slap it on a dyno and see what happens (personally, someone is going to throw rocks at me for this, but just get a bigger air filter if you want more hp). If not and your just want the cool factor, throw it on top and dont worry about it (you shouldn't feel a difference), worse come to worse you can always take it back.
x 2.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:00 AM   #31
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv10001975 View Post
Look John, I will tell you this one time. YOU made the offer on my K&N top not me, all I did was counter offer your ridiculously low and sarcastic offer. If I would of thought that you were not being sarcastic I would of gladly sold it to you if you payed the freight for your offer because I will never use it. Forward to all the moderators you want, but I did nothing wrong. I have never made an offer to sell anything on this site to anyone, because these are the rules of the site. Quit acting like a tat-l-tell and just deal with the consequences of your remarks.
cut the crap... use the report a post button and dont carry on pissing matches.
BTW board rules do apply to pm too.. if someone reports your pm, its the same as reporting a post.

I suggest if someone offends you, that you use the report a post feature in the future.

My goodness ya'll need to grow up
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:07 PM   #32
blime81
Laid Lo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznucks View Post
i have never run an open top like what is being discussed here, but i did run an edelbrock cage type filter, which pulls from all direction. i noticed a loss in power and torque, plus some backfiring when i installed it. it all went away when i took it off and went back to a round style with a solid top.
x2 I had the exact same troubles with my edlebrock cage. Never knew why until this thread came up. I did what dznucks did and went back to a round style solid top.

FWIW I run K&N on everything I own. I believe they clean much better then a paper filter especially in the dust (jeeps, dirtbikes, etc)

For you off road guys, a prefilter (panty hose works very well) is something else to consider.
'07 Sand Rail - ecotec powered
'05 2500HD - tows stuff
'67 VW Bug - gas saver
'01 Jeep TJ - rock crawler

Last edited by blime81; 07-23-2010 at 03:07 PM.
blime81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:13 PM   #33
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by blime81 View Post

FWIW I run K&N on everything I own. I believe they clean much better then a paper filter especially in the dust (jeeps, dirtbikes, etc)
Same goes for me.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:28 PM   #34
big_al_71

I have K&N's on all my toys too and they work perfect and I did not lose one hp on either of them in fact I picked up.

Even Bonnie thinks is awesome!!!
Attached Images

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:56 PM   #35
sv10001975

the filters are great, it is the filtered tops that disturb the airflow. I agree on the actual filter being a great product, that is why I was disappointed in the filtered top causing such power loss. there sales ideas work good, but the dyno shows the real story.
sv10001975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:52 PM   #36
Arad68
Trucks N Tranzams

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_al_71 View Post
I have K&N's on all my toys too and they work perfect and I did not lose one hp on either of them in fact I picked up.

Even Bonnie thinks is awesome!!!
Is Bonnie a rubber Chicken? (Never mind I just remembered the trucks are for chickens post)

'68 Chevy LB 383 TH400/GV/373 posi
'56 Chevy 4WD SWB
'64 Chevy short stepside
'79 Trans Am 455/TH2004R/12blt/4whldisc
95 Kia (Wifes car)
2002 S-10 extended cab pickup
"God punishes small sins immediately"

Last edited by Arad68; 07-23-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Arad68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:05 PM   #37
big mike71

In my book if Big Al says it then it's a fact, because we have the same first name. Al I hope your biker buddy is doing better. Hey Junkyard John don't let anyone suck you into a bunch of BS it isn't worth it.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:30 PM   #38
junkyardjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mike71 View Post
In my book if Big Al says it then it's a fact, because we have the same first name. Al I hope your biker buddy is doing better. Hey Junkyard John don't let anyone suck you into a bunch of BS it isn't worth it.
NOPE.. NOT BITTING.,. JOHN

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
Old 07-25-2010, 04:59 PM   #39
Nova70

Big Al- The filters work great, yes. I'm talking about the filter tops, not K&N filters themselves. The X-Stream filter lids make you lose power, not the K&N filter. I run K&N on all my things as well, truck, car, YFZ.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:13 PM   #40
suville

Having done considerable research myself and in concurrence with some of the others here I feel K-N is way overrated, I can buy a couple of GM over the counter paper filters that have been proven superior in air flow (VELOCITY)in an independent comparison test for what you pay for a K-N I have a K-N for an S&S for a Harley any one wanna buy it ....oops Im not a subscribing member so I can post for sales and I havnt got a replacement yet anyway so it really aint for sale ! Your mileage may vary, spend yur money as you will!
suville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:28 PM   #41
Bad70sbchevy

Yes, you can make any paper filter to outflow everything, but the reason K&N filters are good because at the same time they are really good at filtering out dirt and they can take a lot of abuse. Actually, if memory serves me right, K&N filters became well known because they were a great performance offroad filter when they first came out.
Bad70sbchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:44 AM   #42
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey-pablo View Post
Filter top like mine,So are you saying I am loosing HP?
Yes you are....... and you've SUCKED contaminents into your engine and it's life is shortened.
Please contact me and I will take that Nasty/Dirty/Lifeless engine from you and GIVE you my stock 350.

(no need to thank me)
back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"
wwotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:31 AM   #43
petey-pablo
"THE GREEN GOBLIN"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwotr View Post
Yes you are....... and you've SUCKED contaminents into your engine and it's life is shortened.
Please contact me and I will take that Nasty/Dirty/Lifeless engine from you and GIVE you my stock 350.

(no need to thank me)
Front 2.5inch Spindles with 2inch Springs Rear 4inch drop Springs.
454BBC TH400,Posi

1971 Cheyenne 10 Long Fleet Side
454BBC TH350,Posi Sold

Drive it like you stole it!
Petey-pablo@sbcglobal.net
petey-pablo is offline   Reply With Quote