The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2011, 12:04 AM   #26
hitcher

Re: CUCVs Off to Auction...

i got my 1 ton crew cab ex army truck last summer and absolutely love these trucks . been after a crew cab 4x4 for ages and finally found one . as for not having any options i dont care about all that , would like an over drive though but oh well .
Attached Images

hitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:14 AM   #27
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitcher View Post
i got my 1 ton crew cab ex army truck last summer and absolutely love these trucks . been after a crew cab 4x4 for ages and finally found one . as for not having any options i dont care about all that would like an over drive though but oh well .

Amen! I chuckle a little when I hear men whining about options!
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:23 AM   #28
hitcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_C-30 View Post
Amen! I chuckle a little when I hear men whining about options!
i know . its like the most important thing to some people . was out looking at new trucks with a buddy on saturday and he wouldnt even consider anything that didnt have heated and ac leather seats , dvd player and electric EVERTHING. what happened to having a truck for what they were made for , hauling and towing stuff ?
each to their own of course but to me just seems a lot of expense for a work vehicle
hitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:45 AM   #29
wklink

That is probably the biggest reason I don't have a new truck. I would be afraid to throw a load of bricks in the back of the thing.

To me a truck is what it primarily is; a truck. I take care of my 77, certainly put more into her than she will ever be worth but ultimately the reason I have her over a new Silverado or F150 is because I don't think that the 30 grand I would spend would get me a better product overall, especially for what this truck is used for. I drive her all the time, she gets ok mileage-not great but not really much worse than a new GMC. It isn't fancy but I can go to the dump or to Home Depot and not worry about some little scratch or ding causing her to lose a ton of value.

As for options, well there was a time when power steering, automatic transmissions and power brakes were considered a luxury. I do think that these trucks, as they are now, have enough creature comforts with cruise control and air conditioning. Heated seats are fine and all but my tushie is in jeans and it can handle the cold vinyl until it warms up.

I suppose it is all personal pref though.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:26 AM   #30
soule64

Ive been spending a ton of time (and $!) on the truck, but it is almost road ready now. When I got the truck, I noticed it had a leak from the transmission that wasn't there when I inspected it. Turns out it had been driven or forklifted to a new location with a bent driveshaft and it cracked the tailhousing (check the pic...). I found a replacement and figured while I had it apart, I might as well put a Gear Vendors overdrive on it. New driveshaft, fluids, glowplugs, Optima batteries, belts and lines and the truck runs AWESOME! Starts on the first bump and the overdrive gets me to 70mph with low rpm. Still needs some work - new brakes and lines are sitting on the dining room table and a 2" suspension lift is on order from ORD. New tires after that, bodywork and paint when it gets warmer.
Attached Images

soule64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:12 PM   #31
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Yeah, that seems to be a GL problem. Though I didn't have this issue with my M1010 (bought via a MV dealer, not GL directly) my front steering dampner was crushed and you could see marks on the diff cover where someone used a fork lift to raise the front, likely to replace the front wheels/tires.

I so need to get a GV OD for mine!!! I just put 35" tires on so hopefully that will help a little but the GV is definitely coming. Talked to ORD this morning about some lift stuff too.

My M1010
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:01 AM   #32
wklink

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_mike View Post
Yeah, that seems to be a GL problem. Though I didn't have this issue with my M1010 (bought via a MV dealer, not GL directly) my front steering dampner was crushed and you could see marks on the diff cover where someone used a fork lift to raise the front, likely to replace the front wheels/tires.

I so need to get a GV OD for mine!!! I just put 35" tires on so hopefully that will help a little but the GV is definitely coming. Talked to ORD this morning about some lift stuff too.

My M1010
Boy, does that thing make some memories. I spend a more than a few days out in the field hanging out in the back of one of those crackerboxes. Between that, the Hummer ambulances and my trusty M113 I spend a lot of time in the field. I was a combat medic with several different combined arms units from 1987-1994.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #33
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by wklink View Post
Boy, does that thing make some memories. I spend a more than a few days out in the field hanging out in the back of one of those crackerboxes. Between that, the Hummer ambulances and my trusty M113 I spend a lot of time in the field. I was a combat medic with several different combined arms units from 1987-1994.
Cool story and thanks for your service!
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote