The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-04-2010, 10:40 AM   #26
nbpro
Account Suspended

Re: Anyone painted their square with Rustoleum?

I have done a lot of reading on this and tried some methods the only thing about Rustoleum not much UV protection takes a long time to completely dry all the way and it's usually better if you wetsand after each coat another thing I read if you decide to paint with automotive paint your need to remove the Rustoleum completely would be much easier to buy a low cost automotive paint in my opinion like Summit or Auto Paint at paintforcars.com

Last edited by nbpro; 08-04-2010 at 10:49 AM. Reason: typo
nbpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:32 PM   #27
Buick455

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERBSIX View Post
I keep reading about "proper thinning" using mineral spirits for these rustoleum / epoxy paints, but everyone says you have to go by "feel."

What should it "feel" like when you're thinning it if it's "right" ???
I never use mineral spirits for a thinner as it dries too slow. I use naptha thinner for the air temp you will be spraying. I never realy measure the thinner but I try it at maybe 1 to 5 parts paint and test it on a board and if the pattern is not right I adjust it by adding a little more. I mix enough for the job so there is no changes in color, etc. After one coat dries I color sand the entire surface and lay down the final coat. If needed you can sand again and buff latter but unless I get trash in the paint it comes out great on the second coat.
Buick455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:04 PM   #28
JNJchev77
Registered Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by muthstryker View Post
The 50$ paint job does work. I did a test panel, the trick is to get it on very very light. At first I put it on to thick and there was a lot of orange peel. However, I put 320 grit on the DA and went to town. Took all the orange peel out and it looked great. And I used black paint! But yes it does work if you take your time and do it correctly.

Where would I be able to find Tremclad paint? Seems like it's only sold in Canada... What would be the Rustoleum product here in the U.S.? I'd really like to try this method and see how it comes out....
JNJchev77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:24 PM   #29
mcbassin
Still Learning

I wouldn't recommend the rustoleum on the exterior, just because it won't hold up to direct sunlight for more than about a year. You can pick up a cheap suction gun or gravity fed if you like for around $30 and a "factory pack" of Nason 2k Fulthane Urethane for around $140. (paint, reducer, hardener). It will shine and last, it's single stage and it can be cleared over if you want additional depth. Take a look at my son's HERE
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:27 PM   #30
ERBSIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
I wouldn't recommend the rustoleum on the exterior, just because it won't hold up to direct sunlight for more than about a year
From the thread mentioned earlier on the external website, the guy said he has had 2 cars like that for over 6 years and he has had no problem.

However, he advised waxing them with Turtle Wax to get and keep their shine...

My Build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4082128

Ellis Benus - Web Design Columbia Mo & Google Fan Boy!
ERBSIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:20 PM   #31
nbpro
Account Suspended

In working within a tight budget nothing wrong with spraying a truck with cheaper paint Your happy. I am happy.know wadda i mean, Vern? From the pictures I have seen, you can do a lot with this paint by using the correct compounds and cutting/buffing/polishing pads. It can be like a mirror if you know what you are doing

This is basically what was used years ago to do the enamel paint jobs. It is still the preparation that is the key and a quality thinner, temperature appropriate, a spray booth and a painter that knows what he or she is doing if you are willing to put in the time, these Rust-o-leum jobs turn out great. has i said if you decide to paint with automotive paint your need to remove the Rustoleum completely but in any good paint job, you need to go back to bare metal anyways, in my opinion.

mix hardener (Valspar from Tractor Supply) and acetone.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:31 PM   #32
nbpro
Account Suspended

Tremclad paint is Rustoleum paint http://www.tremcosealants.com/tremclad.asp
Old 08-04-2010, 07:42 PM   #33
3r!c84
Badass

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
I wouldn't recommend the rustoleum on the exterior, just because it won't hold up to direct sunlight for more than about a year. You can pick up a cheap suction gun or gravity fed if you like for around $30 and a "factory pack" of Nason 2k Fulthane Urethane for around $140. (paint, reducer, hardener). It will shine and last, it's single stage and it can be cleared over if you want additional depth. Take a look at my son's HERE
damnn paint looks good on your sons truck

drop a gear and disappear!

1/4:13:90
3r!c84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:25 AM   #34
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3r!c84 View Post
damnn paint looks good on your sons truck
Thanks we only have about $400 total in it.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:50 AM   #35
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

it's painted with tremclad gloss,lasts years the red fades but using F21(was formula 2001,turtle wax poduct) interior wet look shine spray,it would look and feel wet.while at a friends wedding ppl danced on the hood and the red and white mixed ,had to drive home hungover a pink hood.And it was done with brush and small rollers
Attached Images

Last edited by motornut; 08-05-2010 at 08:51 AM.
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:08 PM   #36
Hubscrub
Cruzin

i use rustoleum on my frames and rad. supports etc. i really like it i was useing stuff 3 times the price of rusto. and the rusto. i like even better a local car restorer has been useing it on frames and stuff so he got me useing it, i would even paint my truck with it its just metal i'm tired of trying to keep up the paint jobs i paid big $$$$ for i can't enjoy them without haveing to worry about somebody scratching it or whatever else i just thin it and spray it with a gun works very well

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14

Last edited by Hubscrub; 08-10-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote