The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2010, 12:58 PM   #26
mac72

Re: This a good stereo?

Acex
thats a really good write up. Most of the guys are not audio freaks they just want a decent system & the article fits the bill perfectly.i agree w/ you on the pioneer equip. It's rugged, dependable w/ good features, stylish & good cust. Service.i recommend it to most of my customers.
You guys that are wanting some good audio info chk. This sites
www.the12volt.com
pioneer avic users - www.avic411.com
mac72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:12 AM   #27
TJSc20

When choosing your box make sure to get a professionally built one, a box that doesnt leak and can hold up is very important. Another rule to remember is the volume of the box significantly alters bass output. A small box and a good sub can be outdone significantly by a large box and a $10 sub. This is just a suggestion, I hope this helps.

Last edited by TJSc20; 08-11-2010 at 03:14 AM.
TJSc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:17 PM   #28
33shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSc20 View Post
When choosing your box make sure to get a professionally built one, a box that doesnt leak and can hold up is very important. Another rule to remember is the volume of the box significantly alters bass output. A small box and a good sub can be outdone significantly by a large box and a $10 sub. This is just a suggestion, I hope this helps.
This isn't necessarily true. A quality sub will require more power, than a cheaper sub typically. A small sealed box may not have the SPL, or output, that a bigger box (read ported, bandpass etc) will, but that doesn't mean it's better to be loud. I'm a Sound Quality type of guy, and louder isn't always better. I would much prefer to have a smaller amount of clean crisp bass than some distorted rattling crap that I could hear in the ghetto.

Also, some subs will perform poorly in larger boxes because they were designed for smaller enclosures. Power handling is also a big concern like I said above. A cheaper sub will typically be rated at lower power levels, and require a larger box. More expensive subs often require smaller enclosures and much larger power levels. So then it becomes a issue of what's powering the sub. Lots of variables.

If your only running an amp to power a sub, or subs, then a small sealed box is the way to go typically. Because when you start to turn the volume up to a level that the subs can thump your mids and highs will sound like crap. It's all about the balance, not all about the bass....to me anyway.

Something I learned a long time ago is, you get what you pay for...most of the time. From experience, spend what you can. Buy once, cry once.

Not trying to step on your toes, I've been doing the stereo thing since the mid 90's.
33shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:23 PM   #29
gnstalodz

As for the subs.. They are two 12" subs, polk momo's, and its on a semi larger box. Looks great.

But for my next question;
will this set be good enough for my (four) 6.5" speakers, 2 tweeters, and subs?
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...41R+-RED-.html
gnstalodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:43 PM   #30
TJSc20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33shooter View Post
This isn't necessarily true. A quality sub will require more power, than a cheaper sub typically. A small sealed box may not have the SPL, or output, that a bigger box (read ported, bandpass etc) will, but that doesn't mean it's better to be loud. I'm a Sound Quality type of guy, and louder isn't always better. I would much prefer to have a smaller amount of clean crisp bass than some distorted rattling crap that I could hear in the ghetto.

Also, some subs will perform poorly in larger boxes because they were designed for smaller enclosures. Power handling is also a big concern like I said above. A cheaper sub will typically be rated at lower power levels, and require a larger box. More expensive subs often require smaller enclosures and much larger power levels. So then it becomes a issue of what's powering the sub. Lots of variables.

If your only running an amp to power a sub, or subs, then a small sealed box is the way to go typically. Because when you start to turn the volume up to a level that the subs can thump your mids and highs will sound like crap. It's all about the balance, not all about the bass....to me anyway.

Something I learned a long time ago is, you get what you pay for...most of the time. From experience, spend what you can. Buy once, cry once.

Not trying to step on your toes, I've been doing the stereo thing since the mid 90's.
i definitely get what your saying, however a 12" sub will kill in the lows, and a large box will be a great compliment to the capabilities of his subs. with properly set gains and filters, his 12" polks will sound awesome in a large box.
now if he had a pair of 8s i would recommend something smaller because they will not pick up lows.
TJSc20 is offline   Reply With Quote