The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2010, 12:33 AM   #26
mr48chev

Re: NEED HELP! I'm beyond aggravated

I agree with removing the negative cable and either using a multimeter or test light between it and ground to see if you have something drawing power when it shouldn't.

A blown diode in the alternator will cause a drain. This is usually caused by shorting something in the electrical system and getting a big spark in the process.

As someone said, an alternator that is overcharging will cook a battery in short order.
when running without anything on you should be charging right at 14.2 volts. If it is up around 15 or higher it is overcharging.

Is your alternator charging at all? You may be running on battery only and driving just far enough to run the battery down during your round trip. When you come out the next morning the battery is low enough that it won't crank the engine over.

Do a bit of homework and learn how to test a charging system correctly (it isn't that hard to do it right) rather than trying off the wall suggestions like checking for a spark and risking blowing a diode or worse. I cringe every time I see someone suggest some may or may not work or be correct method of testing electrical items because that's the way uncle Billy showed them on his Model A.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:44 AM   #27
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillwr View Post
I'm so angry, I'm about to just post the truck on CL and wipe my hands clean of it. I've only had it for about a month and a half now and already been through 2 batteries. If the truck sits over a weekend as it always does, the batt dies. I have NO accessories hooked up. No radio, dome light, nothing plugged into the lighter thing, NOTHING! Why is my tuck eating batteries? It's just a lil I6 69 C10
Something not mentioned so far and I have mechanical experience dating back to Junior College.

When my 72 GMC did that, I replaced it with an Optima Yellow Top Battery, and it killed it in 2 days.

Soulution: Figured out it was the Horn Relay.
Replaced it and I can let my Truck sit in the Garage for 3 Months without starting/charging it up, and it turns over everytime.

Just a thought.
back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"
wwotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:13 AM   #28
tim21391

heres the problem i had.. if you slapped a new battery in my 72 and let it sit over night it would be dead.. i found out my ignition switch went bad.. i thought that was it.. but then come to find out my hei distributor wire i didnt run one from the fuse box.. i was using the wire from the old points system and it was still getting power to it..
2013 Mustang V6/6speed w/300 ponies
I may be 23, but i sure do knows 67-72s are sexy!
Its not MPG its smiles per gallon!
build started 11/25/08
build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=2993796
tim21391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:38 PM   #29
Irishpilot

I strongly recommend the internal alt. I got a 94 amp one from the parts store. Just ask for the 86 Camaro 305 HO engine with AC. You get a 94 amp, internally regulated alt with teh V belt pulley. It is awesome, and you get 12 volts at idle.
Irishpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:11 PM   #30
lillwr

It only dies after sitting for a few days. I drive it wed-sat then it sits. When I go out to start it the following wed morning it's dead. I haven't had an opportunity to get a new test light (when I found mine it was broken) so I've just been pulling the neg cable. On a side note, what's the knob/button looking thing on the floor to the left of the brake pedal?
Old 09-12-2010, 09:19 PM   #31
Todd Hepler
Rottenwood Garage Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillwr View Post
On a side note, what's the knob/button looking thing on the floor to the left of the brake pedal?
Should be the brights/highbeams

Todd
Todd Hepler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:57 PM   #32
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay6891 View Post
If funds are available, I would also suggest converting/upgrading to a internal regulated alternator. Pretty easily done, and you get rid of the old reg and alt. Think I used one off a Mid eightys Camaro. Been a while ago.
Here is a link for some directions on how to do.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=119379
I agree with this, get rid of the old school regulator and alternator.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:26 PM   #33
lillwr

I have the alternator how-to bookmarked but it'll have to wait for a later date since I'm not currently working. It's definitely something I wanna do.