The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-25-2010, 03:08 PM   #1
mmmmoore24

The Streetcorner C/10 (aka Rebuild on a Shoestring)

Well, after looking through the very helpful pages and build threads here, and at the advice of some other members, I’ve decided to put this thread together about my 1970 LWB fleetside. I am looking to post progress when I can, and hopefully get some answers to questions and feedback from folks, since this is my first rebuild.

After looking through Craigslist for several months, and looking at any number of rotten, rotting, or soon-to-be-rotting trucks in the Virginia swamp, I came across this one sitting under a pecan tree about 30 miles outside Richmond. When I went to look at it, it had rust in the usual places, and it was missing a battery, but the guy said it would start right up. I told him I was interested if it ran, and the next day I went out to look again. He put a battery in it and it fired up, first crank. It had no brakes, so I had the guy tow it all the way into town and park it on the street in front of my house. Cost, all told: $900.

The truck has a 307 (haven’t verified this based on serial number), and used to have a three-speed column shift, which was moved to the floor. The previous owner had it painted from the original green with white cab to the two-tone grey and black. Weirdly, the cab was painted under the seat but not under the floor mats (more on this later).

So here’s the situation with the truck: it’s a running V8, and I’m slowly putting the electronics back together and trying to get it on the road again. I’m not a mechanic/electrician/welder, and I’m basically trying to fix this thing up on the side of the road, for as cheap as I can, so I’m not really looking to make it a show truck or anything. But I would like to have it back on the road instead of sitting under a tree in the back yard!

Over the summer I got some things done on the truck:
Replaced the air filter (old one was burnt) and crankcase breather (old one was melted)

Changed the oil (this was a MUCH bigger PITA than I thought it would be)

Inspected & cleaned the rear light assemblies and grounds (except license plate light)

Registered the thing as an antique (thanks to my so-called neighbor for turning me in to the cops!)

Replaced passenger door, including glass, vent window, regulators, and lock mechanism

Replaced oil dipstick tube (old one was broken where it enters the block), as well as battery box (including grinding, rusto & spray paint)

Started working on the floors (this may be a bear of a job)

Removed the cowl (see picture #3) and antenna mounting stuff to clean out leaves and garbage that have built up (including the mouse nest – every truck seems to have one!).
Attached Images

mmmmoore24 is offline   Reply With Quote