The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-27-2010, 02:09 PM   #26
don t. - 72gmc

Re: Where to buy low rust trucks.

Have you checked the trucks for sale on this site?
I bought my 70GMC from an ad on this site, truck was in Wisconsin but was originally from Cali and Az. Extremely minimal rust survivor.

I looked yesterday at the for sale trucks. There is a nice white 70 GMC in lower Cali at a (to me) decent price, but the wife said no to a road trip(no grin).

Good luck, and don't jump at the 1st truck you find......don t. .....
don t. - 72gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:38 PM   #27
robreil

Quote:
Originally Posted by don t. - 72gmc View Post
I bought my 70GMC from an ad on this site, truck was in Wisconsin but was originally from Cali and Az. Extremely minimal rust survivor.

I looked yesterday at the for sale trucks. There is a nice white 70 GMC in lower Cali at a (to me) decent price, but the wife said no to a road trip(no grin).

don t. .....
Never liked the look of the GMC for some reason. I will have to stay with Chevy 69-72. I like the front discs on the 71/72, and the grille of the 69/70 (plus I miss my old 69). Though i could do a front end swap later on a 69/70 to discs.

Quote:
Have you checked the trucks for sale on this site?
I did pour over the for sale trucks on here. I was thinking to go to Iowa for one but the granny gear and the 4:10 rear end and top speed of 55 kinda killed that for me. Also I am currently between jobs but dont have many bills once I find a job again, so I look forward to saving up 2-4k quickly.

Quote:
Good luck, and don't jump at the 1st truck you find......

I am learning what the market bears so that I know what is reasonable to expect. I found a NICE 72 in NC on statewidelist.com for a deal and a 1/2 of 1500.00 but alas.. I need a job. The deals will find their way, and I have my list of wants.

Thanks.
Saving for a 69-72, 1/2 or 3/4 ton, BBC, TH400 or 4spd, Posi, Full Trim, AC, PS, PB, LWB, Bucket/Console, 4x4 a plus, in driveable restoreable condition for less than $4k with minimal rust. Willing to travel to SW Desert for no/light rust, and for the right price/condition I will forego some of these options and install them later.
----------
My avatar is my old truck in 1980-82. I miss her dearly. She died from a dead water pump and florida rust after a colorado flood saturated the cab with clay. What a loss.
robreil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:15 PM   #28
96blazr

Quote:
Originally Posted by robreil View Post
Exactly. It will STILL be an old truck but one I love and take care of for years to come as trusted family member.

I do not mind doing some work to make it nicer, work on some trim, maybe some easy body work/patches and can touch up that area till a paint job can be provided. But a frame off I have no time, room, or funds for. I spin my own wrenches on the weekend if need be.

The A/C does not need to work but it should be complete so I can fix it if I wish, etc.
"She died from a dead water pump and florida rust after a colorado flood saturated the cab with clay."

"Also I am currently between jobs but dont have many bills once I find a job again, so I look forward to saving up 2-4k quickly."

And you want AC?? for 2-4k? Hmm, well good luck finding something. Since you seem to be "between jobs" and "don't have many bills" why not just save a little more and get something nicer in the spring. Why you so hell-fire wanting to get it now with Winter coming?
Could it be you're gonna use it this winter cause you can't ride the bike and looking for a Beater to drive around in? Well, a NOT so bad beater, right?

The Dog ain't huntin' on the "trusted family member".

Whatever

Remember, no matter where you go,
There you are.

Gary
96blazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:38 PM   #29
barryvanhook

Quote:
I wondered though how it was in Las Cruces, and Roswell NM. Along with Midland, Odessa, and San Angelo Tx.
Cruces would be good from the rust standpoint .... and don't forget that Las Cruces is only 40 miles from El Paso where the selection might be broader.

Barry
Old 10-27-2010, 05:00 PM   #30
robreil

Thumbs down Re: Where to buy low rust trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96blazr View Post
"She died from a dead water pump and florida rust after a colorado flood saturated the cab with clay."

"Also I am currently between jobs but dont have many bills once I find a job again, so I look forward to saving up 2-4k quickly."

And you want AC?? for 2-4k? Hmm, well good luck finding something. Since you seem to be "between jobs" and "don't have many bills" why not just save a little more and get something nicer in the spring. Why you so hell-fire wanting to get it now with Winter coming?
Could it be you're gonna use it this winter cause you can't ride the bike and looking for a Beater to drive around in? Well, a NOT so bad beater, right?

The Dog ain't huntin' on the "trusted family member".

Whatever
Thanks for the vote of confidence.

How about all I have is the bike. I could trade it in and get a truck but it is the bike I wanted. I can ride year round on it and did last winter. Got pics of me in the snow to prove it. Ever heard of a divorce and getting wiped out financially? Some folks may not be as lucky as others. Anyways I am recovering from this horrible nasty "D" and moving on with life. I would rather get into something that is maintainable knowing that it will take time, money, and work. but never the less I hope to drive it most of the time. The AC does NOT have to work but the parts need to be there so I can fix it as time/funds allow. And I may find that I need to wait till spring. Im just shopping now for the price point needed.

Gosh man, Im just trying to find my way into something I have been passionate about for years.

What a killjoy... Thanks.
Saving for a 69-72, 1/2 or 3/4 ton, BBC, TH400 or 4spd, Posi, Full Trim, AC, PS, PB, LWB, Bucket/Console, 4x4 a plus, in driveable restoreable condition for less than $4k with minimal rust. Willing to travel to SW Desert for no/light rust, and for the right price/condition I will forego some of these options and install them later.
----------
My avatar is my old truck in 1980-82. I miss her dearly. She died from a dead water pump and florida rust after a colorado flood saturated the cab with clay. What a loss.

Last edited by robreil; 10-27-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:28 PM   #31
96blazr

Quote:
Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Ever heard of a divorce and getting wiped out financially? Some folks may not be as lucky as others. Anyways I am recovering from this horrible nasty "D" and moving on with life. I would rather get into something that is maintainable knowing that it will take time, money, and work. but never the less I hope to drive it most of the time. And I may find that I need to wait till spring. Im just shopping now for the price point needed.

Gosh man, Im just trying to find my way into something I have been passionate about for years.

What a killjoy... Thanks.
First off, not a Killjoy, but just checking your reality. You tell us: No money, not working and now going through the nasty "D".
I've been passionate about Trucks and Hot Rods my entire life and I understand what you're feeling and going through. And I most certainly understand having a desire to be a proud owner of a 67-72, cause I had to wait a few years before I could take action on it and those were a tough few years, believe me.
I went through my own ordeal with my ex, but that's not the point. The point is this: SLOW DOWN. You can check pricing all day and you can check ads all day, but if don't have a means to buy it, insure it and drive it, then you're just j-ing off.

Save your money, wait till late March and then start looking.
I'm telling ya, you'll find a better truck for the best buck.

But, it's only advise. Do what you want.

Remember, no matter where you go,
There you are.

Gary
96blazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:38 PM   #32
robreil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96blazr View Post
First off, not a Killjoy, but just checking your reality. You tell us: No money, not working and now going through the nasty "D".
I've been passionate about Trucks and Hot Rods my entire life and I understand what you're feeling and going through. And I most certainly understand having a desire to be a proud owner of a 67-72, cause I had to wait a few years before I could take action on it and those were a tough few years, believe me.
I went through my own ordeal with my ex, but that's not the point. The point is this: SLOW DOWN. You can check pricing all day and you can check ads all day, but if don't have a means to buy it, insure it and drive it, then you're just j-ing off.

Save your money, wait till late March and then start looking.
I'm telling ya, you'll find a better truck for the best buck.

But, it's only advise. Do what you want.
Blazr,

Thanks for putting it more eloquently. I am fully aware I may have to wait till spring. Actually I was wondering is there an "IDEAL SEASON" to be looking to buy?

As to slow down. I do this, I go tearing off to get all the info on what I want, figure out the variables, plan for all of them and how to get there from here. When I am done with my mad tear I will be armed with knowledge on what and how to get what I want and the most cost effective way. Typically I become a SME fairly quickly with this character. Sometimes it is good, and sometimes bad.

Bottom line... I am trying to find out how much to budget for. Less is sooner, more is later. Either is OK. I just want to know what that magic number will be. So for now I find myself shopping on Craisglist using the statewidelist.com site to find patterns, and trends in pricing and options.

Your advise is well received. thanks.
----------
Old 10-28-2010, 01:40 PM   #33
sleepingbag

My truck originated in Sparks Georgia, there used to be a guy who ran Kelleys Classic there who had many of our trucks and parts of our trucks around his shop. Its been a few years but may be worth looking into. BTW I'm from North Indiana and have to say the rust issues here in the southeast are very minor down here compared to up there. These guys (Kelleys) used to always be at the Moultrie swap meet, its where my truck was born!(to me)
sleepingbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:41 PM   #34
Dads69C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryvanhook View Post
Cruces would be good from the rust standpoint .... and don't forget that Las Cruces is only 40 miles from El Paso where the selection might be broader.

Barry
We get some solid trucks in craigslist here but i think the Barret-Jackson effect has poisoned the market. Ive seen some good deals in the phoenix,tempe, and tucson listings
Old 10-28-2010, 02:00 PM   #35
fine69

Look in the TRUCKS FOR SALE section on this board.

Lots of trucks all over the country for sale.

Board member #6

fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:15 PM   #36
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
So what states would those be Special-K? I do not wish to assume, so I prefer you be explicid.

Thanks for the info.
The southwestern region of the US is best (AZ,NM,TX,NV,CA).Anything west of the Mississippi gets better than the east.Basically,the N/E is worst and going diagonally cross country to S/W is best.The S/E isn't too bad,just rain and humidity.Same with the N/W.Coastlines have salt air.where it snows a lot has road salt.The entire west of the Rockies is pretty arid but the farther north gets more winter.It's best just to know your geography,then it's real easy to figure based on climate and terrain.I've found some clean stuff in states that residents say are bad places.It all comes down to use/treatment often times.I've gotten real clean trucks from Nebraska,Kansas,Wyoming,Oregon,Idaho,Arkansas,and one of the cleanest from Pennsylvania.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:16 PM   #37
robreil

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Look in the TRUCKS FOR SALE section on this board.

Lots of trucks all over the country for sale.
Been looking. Have not found the right one yet. Im taking my time to wait for the right one. Kinda like a wife i guess, they all need fixin, but some aint worth fixin or cost too much.
----------

Last edited by robreil; 10-28-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:53 PM   #38
flashed

I know of a long bed 72 up in the Jasper area that could be had for $2000 ,down from $2500 .I thought about trying to buy it but I have too many toys as it is .It is a 350/350 truck with air and nice ralley wheels .I would be proud to drive it as it looks much better than mine .I know of another short bed fleet side truck that is nice that is $10,000 .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:03 PM   #39
robreil

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
I know of a long bed 72 up in the Jasper area that could be had for $2000 ,down from $2500 .I thought about trying to buy it but I have too many toys as it is .It is a 350/350 truck with air and nice ralley wheels .I would be proud to drive it as it looks much better than mine .I know of another short bed fleet side truck that is nice that is $10,000 .
Buzz me off list with a message. I would not mind seeing it. That is if its a daily driver.
----------