The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-23-2011, 02:35 AM   #26
spike38

Re: '71 Chevy C10 LWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasqar View Post
One was floored when they found out I drive it to work all them time, to funny.

Ask them who is safer? You in your truck, Or them in there F*rd Fucus.

Spike

P.S. Nice family, I've been watching both builds.
spike38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:51 AM   #27
greenbd71

I like the truck because it looks like the same 523 color code as mine from what I see inside the cab. My kids love my old rides as well and it seems after I fix them up to the point where I don't want them to get scratched or something broken that is when the fun stops. Before the kids could jump up in the back of the bed and goof around but after putting a lot of money into them, that is out of the question. Leave it like it is and have fun in it.
Attached Images

greenbd71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:23 PM   #28
AJLChase

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasqar View Post
Here's the bumper sticker my 18 yr old son put on one day without telling dad!
In all honesty, I once got a speeding ticket for that actual reason...the police officer didn't take my sweating brow as proof enough!
AJLChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:34 PM   #29
nasqar
Here kitty kitty kitty

I am posting more pics so everyone can see what I have. I have loved this truck as much as any toy i have ever had. Gonna miss it alot, but the heating source in my house has to get upgraded this year. We ran out of bailing wire last year so no more fixing it.

Last edited by nasqar; 11-17-2011 at 01:56 PM.
nasqar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:02 PM   #30
nasqar
Here kitty kitty kitty

Interior Pictures:

The Door panels are new but have been in a truck for a couple years in a barn for a couple years. I took an electric cleaning brush in a small square and you can see the cleaned spot. The seat is not ripped, tore, or anything. It just needs to be changed to interior color with dye or seat cover. I do have a new seat cover from LMC I forgot about, it is black with tan and gray hi-lites.
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2011, 09:11 PM   #31
nasqar
Here kitty kitty kitty

Here are the pics of the new dash bezel, dash pad, and steering wheel. I have a new dome light with bezel and wiring, new pedal pads with trim, new door sill plates, new center vent, new door weatherstripping, new visor brackets, and 4 cans of LMC black interior paint to apply to the seat if desired. Some has been installed and some is still waiting to get installed.
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2011, 09:18 PM   #32
nasqar
Here kitty kitty kitty

Here are pics of the daily driver motor.....not a pretty sight. It does show the factory AC system. I scored a used factory compressor and all the brackets needed to install the compressor!! I got the brackets and compressor for $50....cha-ching! I am not a big fan of polished chrome motors accessories as I am waaaaaaaaaay to lazy to keep it clean since it was driven so much.......so it is stock, dirty, and ugly. Sorry.
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2011, 02:05 PM   #33
nasqar
Here kitty kitty kitty

I sold the 5500 series GMC because the mechanic backed out of the agreement to make the swap. I hadn't really driven the cab and chassis without the big freezer box on the back of it (almost 9,000 pounds with product, ice, and compressor in it)......when i went to deliver that truck, the power was absolutely incredible. The internet says something like 490 foot pounds of torque......I'm telling ya, it was freakin insane!!!!!!!!!! My wife was so glad I didnt have that put in the old truck cause she would be afraid to drive it!!! If anyone is looking for a kewl upgrade and has the ability to make this swap, I would love to hear how it performs in one of these trucks. You can buy used Schwan's truck all over for less then $3,000 and you will get everything with it. You can even scrap the heavy thing to get some money back out of it.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #34
mcbassin
Still Learning

Hey,
Glad to see you back on here. Your daily driver looks good too.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:52 PM   #35
nasqar
Here kitty kitty kitty

Well, after an almost 18 month hiatus....I am back and working on the truck again. It has been one of the craziest roller coaster rides any family could imagine. I will be posting some updated pics.....some good stuff accomplished.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:46 AM   #36
nasqar
Here kitty kitty kitty

Here is the first of a few to come. I am open for any suggestions or advice!
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2013, 12:50 AM   #37
nasqar
Here kitty kitty kitty

Not quite finished with it but I have made some progress. The pictures also show the new wheels and tires I purchased from a guy that loves old Chevy trucks. 275/50R15's on the back with Centerlines.
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2013, 12:54 AM   #38
nasqar
Here kitty kitty kitty

Here's a clean pic of the new wheels and tires.
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2013, 01:00 AM   #39
nasqar
Here kitty kitty kitty

I have traded the old wheels and tires (slots) for a good passenger door instead of trying to fix this hug dent. I am hoping to pick up the door on Sunday but we have to see if the guy can meet me. It's a 90 minute drive each way. Finally got the bumper off today. We had to cut one of the bolts off because of the rust. I found that it only had 2 bolts holding the entire bumper on after driving it for over 9 years!!!! Whew, got lucky there!
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2013, 01:07 AM   #40
nasqar
Here kitty kitty kitty

The new paint that has been purchased is New Holland Blue with Gloss Black on the hood and top of cab. The grill will also get a coat of gloss black since there are soooo many scratches in it. I will install the chrome headlight bezels and chrome fenderwell opening moldings on it when they finally come in.

Since I actually use the truck often as a truck, I dont want to put a ton of money in paying someone to paint it with high dollar paint and have thousands wrapped up in the paint. I have less than $100 in the supplies right now and will be able to touch it up whenever it needs it for a little bit of money. It's gonna be a fun driver for our family.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:43 AM   #41
nasqar
Here kitty kitty kitty

Here's the start of the driver's side...should be 95% done tomorrow. The filler wouldnt harden from the darn humidity today. It took me forever to do what I did in 30 minutes the days before. Oh well...we made progress.
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2013, 01:46 AM   #42
nasqar
Here kitty kitty kitty

No factory chrome moldings on here. I bought a couple bowtie moldings with flames from EBay for less the $20 and those will go on the front fender. The factory emblems and moldings are very expensive and getting good used ones are a nightmare to find. I just filled in the holes and will just go for a smooth look...let's hope the amatuer body work allows this to happen!!! LOL
Old 07-22-2013, 11:51 PM   #43
nasqar
Here kitty kitty kitty

Well the daughter was getting tired of Daddy being gone so she wanted to see where I have been hiding....she thought that orbital sander was really kewl! "It made her hands tingle" lol....grandma was laughing at her the whole time.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2013, 11:59 PM   #44
nasqar
Here kitty kitty kitty

Started on the tailgate tonight. It isnt in the best of shape as you can see here. Since I dont want to buy a new one or since I would not have a clue how to relocate the handle I cannot buy one of those slip over covers...I must make an attempt to make this jewel presentable. I started to get it sanded and started messing with getting the rust cleaned out as much as I could tonight. The tailgate was left laying open for years and the water pooled right at the handle on the back side and left this challenging hole to fix.
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2013, 12:37 AM   #45
Hardesty454

Well you jumped around on your time frame here! Looks good. On your tail gate its a quick few welds there. If you want to relocate the hand youll have to remove the handle and weld in a filler panel. Cut the inside of the tailgate for the new handle placement and wither screw or rivet it in. Not too much work. the scariest part is welding it in. Just remember to tack, have a beer, tack, have a beer etc. Good luck!

1971 c10 - ground up in progress

Tripp's Speed Shop Build -
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=589750
Hardesty454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #46
nasqar
Here kitty kitty kitty

Thanks Rob. I like the beer suggestion the best! I will see what I can get done tonight and will update everyone.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:13 PM   #47
nasqar
Here kitty kitty kitty

When attempting to "smooth" a panel, how long of a" block" should I use? I have never block sanded and do not know the tricks "I have used a 1/3 sheet orbital sander so far
Old 07-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #48
mcbassin
Still Learning

Hey lots of good progress! On your boards get a few lengths if you can. Amazon sells the dura blocks pretty cheap. I like the long one, I think it's like 20".
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-24-2013, 01:10 AM   #49
nasqar
Here kitty kitty kitty

Where/How do I get the sandpaper for these longer blocks? Do I buy them or do I make them? I bought a 1/3 sheet orbital sander and it does a good job but didnt realize i had to get different paper....lack of experience. lol. Found the paper obviously and it has helped over the little orbital palm sander.

Next question. I bought some filler primer in spray cans and shot the sides with it so I could get an idea of what it would look like as far a straight/smooth. If I had someone shoot the filler with a gun and compressor....I would assume it would cover ALOT more sand marks and possibly help me keep my sanity.

I bought a paint gun from Harbor Freight that looks like my old craftsman and my mom has a 25 gallon craftsman air compressor. If the filler primer will cover more scratches, I will shoot it this week. BUT, who can I contact to get an idea of how to use the compressor? I dont know how to set up the compressor to make the gun have the right amount of pressure.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #50
mcbassin
Still Learning

I use the self adhesive 80 grit most of the time on my long board. But if I have a very large area with a lot of filler I'll go with 36 grit to knock it down then follow it up with 80 grit.
LONG Block LONG Block (I think mine is longer than 16" but you get the idea)
Sand paper Sand paper