The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-10-2010, 10:30 PM   #26
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Re: Bagged 82 from New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSquare View Post
Thanks again,

The rims are just powdercoated, I mucked around painting the last set and they looked good but not that much better than these ones powdercoated.

I think next time i'll do something similar to these from the porterbuilt site

http://porterbuiltstreetrods.com/sit...DSCN3409-2.jpg

I actually have a set of what I think are called 'dog dish' hubcaps from an astro van, these wheels obviously have no provision for attaching them, anyone know the best way to go about doing it ? I havent had any luck finding spring clips or something like them.
Here is the thread on the truck with those wheels.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=409449

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:06 PM   #27
dr damage

Hey Man

cool ride, it looks mean. pity your not in the north island we could go square body cruising together. here is a link on mine

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=422173

Matt
dr damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:55 AM   #28
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSquare View Post
What did I do to get thumbs down ? man tough crowd, or did I mash the keys wrong ?
I fixed it for you. Nice project for sure. Keep the pics coming...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:19 PM   #29
NZSquare

Thanks N2trux,

and I saw your rig in the NZV8 mag dr damage, amazing pics, I love how people assume the bay is all filler, must be hundreds of hours in it. Hows it running ? I was going to get up to beach hop next year but getting hitched instead so maybe year after.

Anyway got mine all legal and put some miles on it, worked a couple of bugs out, one being a broken hose clamp on a fuel line which took some swearing to figure out, then took it for an 800 mile trip last weekend, went great, was getting around 28mpg with my foot up it.

Only drama was about 10pm last friday night driving along and hear a bang and rumble in the back, then get out and see the wheels have shifted back in the wheel wells and the pumpkin pointing skywards, turned out to be a broken rod end at the front of my 3-link, it was mild steel and should never have been in there but I missed it/didn't know as did 2 certifiers, anyway replaced all 3 with chromoly ones and that was that. I was able to strap the wishbone to the crossmember underneath and nurse it to the next town where they had a stockcar race supplies shop.

also put an intercooler up front, I cut too much out of the grille so will get another one and do that again but it sits in there good and I can feel the difference in power ( if thats the word for this engine ). Also made a new inlet etc to get rid of the unused throttle body and crossover pipe.

so heres how she sits now, the whitewalls are gone but the height Im happy with, bumpstops are set so it'll drive if a bag or line blows but it will lay flat if I pull them out

so its done for now, our summer. Over all Im real happy with how it drives, engine Im stoked with, its no fun to drive though, it goes great and I can still pass cars and drag off trucks up hills but with the flat torque curve of the diesel its just all noise, sounds like a big angry vacuum cleaner.

next on the list is just pick away at tidying the engine bay, make some decent inner guards and get rid of the a/c etc. The maybe hardline it next winter.

Last edited by NZSquare; 12-21-2010 at 09:22 PM.
NZSquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:29 AM   #30
NZSquare

Well Ive put some miles on this thing, its the middle of summer here in New Zealand so took it to a show, Muscle Car Madness just out of Christchurch, hell of a weekend, 3 days of camping on site.

No major developments, I got rid of the a/c exchanger in the engine bay which cleaned it up a bit, just made a shroud for the heater fan. Before and after:

ANd also had the all too familar bang rumble rumble as I had with it a few months back, last time it was a mild steel rod end giving up, this time it was one of the welds on the wishbone, I did a bit of digging and this is the only part left in it that wasn't built for it.
It came out of a kit from the states, the wishbone just had nuts welded onto the ends of some pipe sections and the wleds had'nt come close to penetrating. So it failed and I made another one with some proper threaded bungs and got it TIG welded by a local outfit, hopefully that'll be the last I hear from it.

Other than that its been running like a champ, drew more than a few puzzled looks at the show, mainly because of the height but also the engine, but generally everyone I talked to loved it.
NZSquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #31
bondo510

Nice truck! I like what you have done!
bondo510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:05 PM   #32
666 C10

Hi all, thought i would update you on the whereabouts and progress of this truck.

I'm the second owner after the initial build and currently running the truck as my daily.

The 3L diesel set up has now been removed and replaced with a 327 Chevy along with new trans, exhaust system, gas tank and power steering.

Does anyone have any experience or forum links to retrofitting some different grilles/lights onto these square bodies? I want to change it to something a little more nostalgic looking, bumpers are soon to be swapped out for chrome originals and I'm getting some dress up rings made up for the wheels.

Cheers

Last edited by 666 C10; 08-28-2014 at 06:16 PM.
666 C10 is offline   Reply With Quote