The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2010, 07:45 PM   #26
jb4short
Damn Yankee

Re: Key Parts Vs. Counterpart

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
Tri-plus is a major supplier to Key Parts Inc, To the best of my knowledge Key does not make any parts. They are an importer only
Key Parts does in fact make parts that are not available from any other manufacturer.
jb4short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:00 PM   #27
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4short View Post
Key Parts does in fact make parts that are not available from any other manufacturer.
My mistake,, What do they make?
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:50 AM   #28
C20-67_N_MO
Champagne Taste on Beer Budget

Post Re: Key Parts Vs. Counterpart

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanceman View Post
I bought rockers and they were 22 gauge material, The door handle I bought worked about 5 times then broke, and the floor pans were bent to hell( I guess so they would fit in the box) I will never buy from them again, you never get a second chance to make a first impression. I like Top Banana Parts because they tell you who makes the part while most don't. I don't want it to be crap shoot of whos part I get. I have heard good things about key parts, but had not heard much on counterparts so I appreciate all of youre comments. Keep them coming.
I would add that a good bodyman worth his salt can make said products fit and LAST for very long time. As I have watched my guy work magic on my '67 cab and can astest to his quality workmanship. Doesn't matter if it's a TOP DOLLAR OEM sheetmetal vs. the lesser grade ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I'm saying that both counterpart and Key Parts are parts producers,as in manufacturers of the parts.Counterpart makes a lot of parts,not just sheetmetal.Of the sheet metal they sell,there are items they don't produce themselves.Some of those parts are produced by Key Parts.Counterpart has their name put on these packages,a common business practice these days.

One myth I see here is that aftermarket sheet metal is a lighter gauge.I know for a fact that Key Parts are at least as heavy of a gauge.I believe others are as well,just don't know for a fact.

There are very few manufacturers of aftermarket sheet metal.None make the full line of parts.Vendors sell parts from a mix of manufacturers to offer a complete line.The cost of developing and producing most parts limits feasibility of more than one company to offer it.Only the most common parts are made by more than one maker.

I see a lot of vendors mentioned,not manufacturers.This includes Goodmark and LMC.LMC is big enough to have parts produces exclusively for them,but are not involved in manufacturing.
specail-k:

Your take on this is spot on.

And yes there is an old adage "You can pay a little now or a lot later". And I think most people are sick and tired of all the thinner grade sheetmetals. Some made in China and other places around the globe.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:38 PM   #29
vanceman

[QUOTE=C20-67_N_MO;4297572]I would add that a good bodyman worth his salt can make said products fit and LAST for very long time. As I have watched my guy work magic on my '67 cab and can astest to his quality workmanship. Doesn't matter if it's a TOP DOLLAR OEM sheetmetal vs. the lesser grade ones.

I am not a good body man, I am just learning. So I need as good of a product as I can get, why start with a handicap if you don't have to. The main problem I had with them was the gauge of the material. If your body man can turn 22 gauge to 19 gauge I need his number.
vanceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:27 PM   #30
C20-67_N_MO

Cool Re: Key Parts Vs. Counterpart

[quote=vanceman;4298244]
Quote:
Originally Posted by C20-67_N_MO View Post
I would add that a good bodyman worth his salt can make said products fit and LAST for very long time. As I have watched my guy work magic on my '67 cab and can astest to his quality workmanship. Doesn't matter if it's a TOP DOLLAR OEM sheetmetal vs. the lesser grade ones.

I am not a good body man, I am just learning. So I need as good of a product as I can get, why start with a handicap if you don't have to. The main problem I had with them was the gauge of the material. If your body man can turn 22 gauge to 19 gauge I need his number.
No one can mate.

But he has been a bodyman for 25+ years and have turn my swiss cheese 1967 Chevrolet cab into a workable piece of metal that was bound for the junk heap!

Yes if you are just starting off buy the expensive stuff by all means. He left it up to me to purchase whatever I wanted and then turn those items into something that at least looks like what was missing from all the rot and rust from years of abuse. If you can not blend the metal to make it or have it fit EXCALTY as it should then yes I am suggesting you get your high dollar; high end product that you feel all warm and fuzzy about.

I know everything that I buy will be made right the first time and not have to go back and have to redo it again years down the road.

Enuff said.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:43 PM   #31
vanceman

So I guess you are getting labor for free. Last time I checked Body Men were pretty expensive. The more work they have to do to get a "cheap" part to fit will cost you alot more then if you would have started with a quality part first. Last time I checked LMC was not cheaper, they were more expensive. So I don't know where you are getting that I am buying expensive parts. So keep doing what you are doing if it makes you happy. I was merely asking for peoples opinion of the patch panels I stated, If you can't answer that then don't respond.
vanceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:41 PM   #32
C20-67_N_MO

Exclamation Re: Key Parts Vs. Counterpart

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanceman View Post
So I guess you are getting labor for free. Last time I checked Body Men were pretty expensive. The more work they have to do to get a "cheap" part to fit will cost you alot more then if you would have started with a quality part first. Last time I checked LMC was not cheaper, they were more expensive. So I don't know where you are getting that I am buying expensive parts. So keep doing what you are doing if it makes you happy. I was merely asking for peoples opinion of the patch panels I stated, If you can't answer that then don't respond.
Free?

Are you serious?

Was trying to go with a pissing match here.

LMC is not the only place I shop.

Have a good day.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:22 PM   #33
Gaylon

I have ordered the chrome plated inserts for 71 Chevy Cheyenne and both have been possibly warped or melted in this chroming process making it impossible to install in outer grill without forcing has this happened to anyone else? Lmc and classic parts of America both say first they have heard of this. Furthermore I don't know who makes the grills for lmc, but the insert from classic parts America for sure came stamped counterpart automotive .

Last edited by Gaylon; 05-27-2016 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Spelling
Gaylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:35 PM   #34
Tim Christian

If you are talking about the chrome factory style inner grill. We do sell them but the tooling does not belong to us and have sold several the only complaint I have received is on three total and they all three had a crack in the same place. I think not bad out of about 300 sold. But I will say I have never tried to install one myself either.
Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:40 PM   #35
Gaylon

Yes I am talking about the factory style chrome plated grill inserts. I'm extremely upset I have two of these inners from two different co same problem no cracks if I forced them to line up holes on outer grill I could almost guarantee they'd crack.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:18 PM   #36
Gaylon

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Gaylon; 05-27-2016 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Picture of both inners same thing !
Old 05-27-2016, 11:53 PM   #37
franken

Board members usually buy from the nearest board vendor or the nearest out of state vendor. Out of state dodges taxes.
The parts are typically made in Taiwan and relabelled. Pretty much nothing is made in the US.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote